Swiss say you can't put live lobsters in boiling water any more

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":2fcnsl9w said:
Sure glad there's no many like you running around. Do you any fish? We eat a lot of poached fish cooked in water only, and grilled trout - salmon over the coals of a campfire.

I don't do fish. My folks never made it growing up, and the one time I've had it as an adult it was undercooked and not good. But, hey, look at it like this-more for you. We could go out for a surf and turf and you can have all my surf, I'll stay with the turf.

greybeard":35eo8kv8 said:
http://www.newsweek.com/lobsters-may-feel-pain-illegal-boil-them-alive-switzerland-778122

I ain't trying to be "zenophobic' or anything, but have the hot cocoa folks lost their minds?
""If stunned electrically or if the brain is destroyed mechanically they are effectively dead,""
You have to find some way to either 'mechanically or electrically' stun them first....like bashing their brains out I suppose.
You also can't transport them on ice or in 'ice water'.
#lobsterlivesmatter?

I'm not even sure they have a brain....

If this comes to America, I wonder what it bodes for a 40lb sack of hundreds of live Louisiana crawfish?
Icepick?
Here, check out some of your stupid laws
http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/texas

I used to work with a guy from Oklahoma that wouldn't eat anything that came out of the water, but I can't imagine not liking shrimp. I'll never forget the first time I went bay fishing. I came back home and was describing it to my father, including the part about using live bait. He looked at me and said "Let me make sure I understand this. You had shrimp right there in your hand, and you put a hook in them and threw them back in the water?"

Swiss are far from the first to pass a law as to how to humanely kill lobster.
In 2005 Italy was the first and New Zealand did too several years ago.

We shouldn't need a law to tell us it's only right to minimize the suffering of any animal being killed and especially
one slaughtered for food. Better chefs have been trying to do it as quickly and painlessly as possible for years in the
belief that throwing a lobster alive into a pot of boiling water causes the muscles to seize and the meat to toughen.

Perhaps stunning is the best option, but from watching cooking shows on TV; refrigeration (not freezing) to slow the
metabolism, a large chef's knife to quickly split the head/skull and straight into a pot of boiling water seems to do the
trick. Plus chefs say the meat comes of the pot more tender, so maybe there is something to it.

Countertop stun guns for restaurant use in Switzerland are readily available.
The other method for home cooks should suffice.
Why cause any possible additional suffering if a little bit of forethought can prevent it?

dun":3lizfi47 said:
It is strictly the emotional that prevents eating horse in the US. It;s common in europe. Different cultures have different views on what they eat. In India cattle are sacred, in some asian countrys dog and cat is regular fair.
And everybody knows cats make the best tacos. :hide:

Son of Butch":1ixi3b28 said:

We shouldn't need a law to tell us it's only right to minimize the suffering of any animal being killed and especially
one slaughtered for food. Better chefs have been trying to do it as quickly and painlessly as possible for years in the
belief that throwing a lobster alive into a pot of boiling water causes the muscles to seize and the meat to toughen.

Perhaps stunning is the best option, but from watching cooking shows on TV; refrigeration (not freezing) to slow the
metabolism, a large chef's knife to quickly split the head/skull and straight into a pot of boiling water seems to do the
trick. Plus chefs say the meat comes of the pot more tender, so maybe there is something to it.

Why cause any possible additional suffering if a little bit of forethought can prevent it?

Sounds a bit like "halal". :shock: :shock:

Son of Butch":2cz6sc5x said:

I made my living lobster fishing and we'd choke them down in a freshwater ice slush before we sold them. They'd gain 4-6% in water weight and would be the best eating sweetest lobster money could buy. But they had a shorter fresh shelf life. So the one's my dad couldn't sell through the restaurant as fresh, we'd tail and freeze.
A lobster had it good compared to stone crabs, stone crabs we'd twist both their claws off and turn them loose. Now we catch snapper and grouper and if their to small we stab them in the bladder and let the go. The dolphins follow the boat to eat the wore out stabbed fish. Nature is a vicious circle without any winners.

Bestoutwest":1roc7u2r said:
True Grit Farms":1roc7u2r said:
Sure glad there's no many like you running around. Do you any fish? We eat a lot of poached fish cooked in water only, and grilled trout - salmon over the coals of a campfire.

I don't do fish. My folks never made it growing up, and the one time I've had it as an adult it was undercooked and not good. But, hey, look at it like this-more for you. We could go out for a surf and turf and you can have all my surf, I'll stay with the turf.
ONE TIME??? As many different types of fish that are available, you are doing yourself and family an injustice. All fish are not the same. Cooking methods can change texture and taste too. I guarantee you that if you come to south Al, you'ld leave with a different opinion of seafood.

zirlottkim":3416kft9 said:
Bestoutwest":3416kft9 said:
True Grit Farms":3416kft9 said:

ONE TIME??? As many different types of fish that are available, you are doing yourself and family an injustice. All fish are not the same. Cooking methods can change texture and taste too. I guarantee you that if you come to south Al, you'ld leave with a different opinion of seafood.
He lives in a trout fishermen's dream spot, I can't imagine not fishing for and eating trout. I got deathly sick on shrimp cocktail in Ixtapa Mexico, but I still eat shrimp almost weekly. He might of been started out on mullet, mackerel or drum right off the bat. We're blessed that we have access to fresh local seafood to eat, and you have it made. Fresh seafood is about the only thing I miss about moving away from the coast.

If you have not tried it do not knock it ; I guess: back in 1970 we were a bunch of crazy marines in subic bay and having fun ; thought we were eating monkey meat on a stick from local street vendors but fast forward 30 years and working in Saudi with a crew from Manila I was informed it was dog meat; ( had a rig dog that had a litter about a month before I came back to the states for repate and was gone 6 weeks and when I got back on the rig all the pups were gone , ask where the pups were ..... their reply was what pups as they rubbed their bellies .... different strokes for different folks , my answer is cowboys do not eat chicken

f1tiger":1128v7yx said:
If you have not tried it do not knock it ; I guess: back in 1970 we were a bunch of crazy marines in subic bay and having fun ; thought we were eating monkey meat on a stick from local street vendors but fast forward 30 years and working in Saudi with a crew from Manila I was informed it was dog meat; ( had a rig dog that had a litter about a month before I came back to the states for repate and was gone 6 weeks and when I got back on the rig all the pups were gone , ask where the pups were ..... their reply was what pups as they rubbed their bellies .... different strokes for different folks , my answer is cowboys do not eat chicken
Ah yes, the infamous monkey meat on a stick. And the ever popular "roof rabbits"

dun":11q1sl58 said:
Nesikep":11q1sl58 said:
Meh, I don't have to look farther than this to see what you guys are looking at for laws.. and your morons with "Milk is murder", etc...
http://www.humanesociety.org/about/depa ... google.ca/
I've seen first hand the destruction of wild horses and burros. One area in the Panamint mountains had a viable (unhunted) desert big horn sheep population. When the horse shooting stopped the sheep vanished. Wild horses and burros will protect/guard a water supply from other animals. In the 60s they were just shot and left to rot in most cases, not a pretty sight but it did manage the population. Then this "wild horse annie" crap got started. Big horn sheep populations, desert mule deer populations all started declining. It wasn;t fee/browse, it was the unavailability of water.
I've been there to the Panamint mines, there's a great big dry lakebed there, saw a little burro there.. was a cool trip.. OK, no, it was %$#^$% sweltering hot

Nesikep":2o8vvo5a said:
I've been there to the Panamint mines, there's a great big dry lakebed there, saw a little burro there.. was a cool trip.. OK, no, it was %$#^$% sweltering hot

That would have been Owens dry lake. We lived in Indian Wells Vaqlley just south of the geothermal well site. I hunted a little north of there closer to Lone Pine before the gov made it off limits by making at part of death valley national monument

Bestoutwest":bkfvxdm7 said:
True Grit Farms":bkfvxdm7 said:

ONE TIME??? As many different types of fish that are available, you are doing yourself and family an injustice. All fish are not the same. Cooking methods can change texture and taste too. I guarantee you that if you come to south Al, you'ld leave with a different opinion of seafood.[/quote]

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/n ... 17769.html

We have another new neighbor...not the previous one but a different one who bought a house about 4 miles away. To impress his new friends, he showers them with lobster. I dunno, I just find it funny. I also think he's into money laundering. Just a suspicion I get because of a few things going on...and him wanting to seem like a big spender, thus, feeding everyone lobster. Just plain weird

Latest posts