Sweep tub worth more than what I paid for it

Help Support CattleToday:

kjonesel

Reaction score
Two years ago my son and I bought a cattle working system (pen, sweep, alley way, access gates) from Chubby Baird in Middleburg Kentucky for a little less than $4,000.00. It sat on pallets till last August just prior to my son leaving for college. He spent several days making a limestone pad and setting the system up so that I would be able to work cattle when he wasn't there. It has been a Godsend. I am able to work the cattle alone, since they are securely confined they remain calm it just wonderful. I'm thankful I have such a considerate son and had the funds to purchase the system. I have a neighbor who is a few years older and he sold his cows after he had his leg broke in seven places because he was trying to work his cattle with light weight corral panels and a head gate. I would suspect he would have been better off spending the money on a system rather than a hospital visit and the subsequent follow up visits to the doctor.
Anybody who is on the fence about a cattle working system should reconsider and just purchase one as there are always people on the lookout for used systems if you decide to get out of the business or sell it.

I would say the new ones have not gotten any cheaper and I am sure it is worth more to you now than what you paid for it.

I bought a commercial set up from a farmer who sold his cows. I ended up buying everything he owned related to cattle. While going through one of the tubs of supplies we saw he paid over $13,000 for the handling facility. He had it set up indoors. It is hot dipped galvanize and our doors here.

I had used cheap panels and lumber before. Now my friends bring their calves here to be worked (free of charge).
I still pinch myself every time I look at it. Never thought I would own something this nice.

I just worked 3 bulls this morning (vaccinated, wormed, and retagged one). I never raised my voice once. My son was coming to help but I was finishing up as he got there. They never stop saving me grief.

I was just looking for my camera yesterday. As soon as I locate it I will. I was needing to send a picture of the bulls to another Gelbvieh breeder for him to look at so it won't be any problem.

Latest posts