slime in my tractor tank...if you know what i mean..treated..treated..but when i treat is it gone..or what about dead slime..still having clogging pro

Help Support CattleToday:

RNW

Reaction score
treated several times and still having clogging problems...fuel line from tank...JD 5525...i have shock treated the tank several times and hopefully killed the slime/whatever you want to call it..i am still having recurring problem every year or so...does the shock treatment only kill the slime or is it supposed to dissapate it ...i worry that it is still in my tank and clogging my fuel line even if it is dead...i take air tank and blow back on fuel line and unclog the line and it works for a while...sick and tired...happens at the furtherest place from my house/shop...i would love to take take tank off and clean it or burn it..but is probably over my head because of my age/etc... thanks for any info brothers

Sounds like algae. My neighbors always used fuel jugs to fill their tractors and had the same problem every year. They'd clean the lines and tank but it'd eventually come back. I personally think it may have been coming from the fuel cans they used. I sold them a pickup several years back that had a fuel tank with a good pump and filter on it and they haven't had anymore issues. Might look at were you are getting the fuel for the tractor from.

Sounds like algae to me. Take the tank off and wash it out. Clean the lines, new filters. It can be a real problem with this low sulfur fuel.

I would try Power Service Clear Diesel and see if that would break it up. Slime sounds like an extended period with water in the fuel. Algae usually plugs the filters not the fuel lines.

I fought the same issue in a tractor. Tried killing it with ever thing under the sun. Ended up having to remove the tank and clean it. Left it out dry in sun for several days too. Was good for several years after until we sold the tractor.

Wish I had better news but I spent a lot of money on chemicals and fiters and blaming bulk tanks.

Try siphoning from the bottom of the tank a few times. The fuel pickup is usually not to the bottom of the tank so even if you drain it through the fuel line there will be crap left in the bottom of the tank. Siphoning can be used like a vacuum cleaner. Fuel that you pull out won't be wasted, you can let it settle and then decant the good stuff off the top.

Ken

I've got the same problem with my 5525 but it is the inline fuel filter that clogs up. I keep a couple in the cab because they clog up fairly often. Gentleman I bought it from said he took the tank off and cleaned it but it didn't seem to help.

I thought my tank pickup (algae) on my Kubota was the problem as mine would bog down under load and eventually die. It would run fine at idle or low RPM. After it would die, the system would have to be reprimed and off I would go for a while longer. Very frustrating. I blew back the lines numerous times and changed the filter twice. It turned there was a clog in the fuel/water separater where the fuel line exits. There is a small metal elbow where you connect the rubber fuel hose and the elbow had some fuzz right in the bend. It was enough to restrict the fuel when a larger supply was needed while under load. This might be something else to check.

I fought the same issue in a tractor. Tried killing it with ever thing under the sun. Ended up having to remove the tank and clean it. Left it out dry in sun for several days too. Was good for several years after until we sold the tractor.

Wish I had better news but I spent a lot of money on chemicals and fiters and blaming bulk tanks.
thanks buddy..am at wits end..nearly have to take the cab off to take tank off...but it is more than aggravating..especiall when it happens on the backside of my place a mile away...i am 63 and not good health but don't want to quit...but sometimes....been at this for 50 years..me and my dad and have only had problem in last 10 years...thanks for your answer