Supplement Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

2barmcattle

Reaction score
Who has the best tubs? We have native grass/lespedezia mix.
Plenty of pasture. Also keep mineral/salt blocks out.

Thanks!!!

We're feeding Kent Tubs this year. Crystalyx has about priced themselves out of the Ball Park.We've fed Sweetlix for years, but thought we'd try something a little better, on account of the drought.

That is a very good ? and my response is if you have the grass and sounds as if you do, you can more than likley do without the tubs as long as you provide a good quaility loose mineral/ salt mix.
This topic was been brought up in past and i can honestly say i read it on these boards.I put it to the test and it is TRUE.
Talk with folk in your area see which mineral that would best suit your needs then sit back watch your cattle hold their condition and pocket the extra saving for the high cost of fuel.

Good Day
blk mule

blk mule":1dh97vqs said:
That is a very good ? and my response is if you have the grass and sounds as if you do, you can more than likley do without the tubs as long as you provide a good quaility loose mineral/ salt mix.
This topic was been brought up in past and i can honestly say i read it on these boards.I put it to the test and it is TRUE.
Talk with folk in your area see which mineral that would best suit your needs then sit back watch your cattle hold their condition and pocket the extra saving for the high cost of fuel.

Good Day
blk mule

Sure glad to see someone else post this instead of me

This time of year I find my cattle useing more mineral than when the grass was lush. Seem as though they are still doing well on the protein end. Cows nurseing calves are still holding up well.

Here's my take. Weve fed every kind of tub you can name. When Crystalyx got so high, I took into account how much bag mineral and feed I could buy with that money. Theres no comparison, do a little more work and measure proper amount for your cattle, use more feed, and leave extra mineral out there. This stuff to me is another way make you spend more. Cattle 30 yrs ago didnt get this and they matched performance of our cattle today.

I just realized i never answered the man's question.LOL. I like the Sweetlyx. Seems to do as good as the others and less expensive. Just dont buy things because you think your cattle will do better on it. Buy it when you have a real management need of it.

3rdgeneration farmer":6m8j0o3l said:
Here's my take. Weve fed every kind of tub you can name. When Crystalyx got so high, I took into account how much bag mineral and feed I could buy with that money. Theres no comparison, do a little more work and measure proper amount for your cattle, use more feed, and leave extra mineral out there. This stuff to me is another way make you spend more. Cattle 30 yrs ago didnt get this and they matched performance of our cattle today.
In this statement you say "leave extra mineral out there"
I agree with you on this but later you go on to say "cattle end up getting more mineral than they need". Maybe so. I can tell you through experience that getting a poor cow back up on its feet, cows not breeding, bulls lack of performance, and poor imune systems can be very expensive lessons to learn. Makeing sure that cattle have the proper amount of mineral is good management in my book.
Protein fed should be controled through observation of cattle condition and condition of poop (Thank you dun for that lesson)

I agree a good mineral is necessary, but a mineral is not going to provide the necessary protein. With the drought much of our hay this year has very little protein. It gives them something to chew on, but very little protein nutrition. Like many folks, once we get into winter, there is no grass, only hay. If you wait until you see their ribs to start feeding a supplement , then you, and they, are going to be behind the eight ball.

This is why testing the hay you feed is important. IF the hay is of good forage quality by testing, you don't need a supplement of protein, but if it is poor, you want to give some type of supplement consideration - there are many types out their.

Billy

Excellent advice Mr. Billy. Also "tubs" are the most expensive thing you can put out there. You can buy the cheaper lower quality tubs for about $450.00 per ton. The higher quality cooked tubs will run you $600.00 and up. That's expensive no matter who's check book we're talking about. Test your hay and supplement your cattle with whatever compliments the hay.

Keep in mind that a beef cow doesn't need a lot of protein. If memory serves me correct a lactating beef cow needs a minimum of 9.6% protein and a dry beef cow needs a minimum of 7%. Decent quality hay will often hit those numbers.

novaman":d32fo975 said:
Keep in mind that a beef cow doesn't need a lot of protein. If memory serves me correct a lactating beef cow needs a minimum of 9.6% protein and a dry beef cow needs a minimum of 7%. Decent quality hay will often hit those numbers.

From Southern Forages text, " Crude Protein needs: Growing beef steer , 450 lb - 11-13%; 650 lb, 10-11%;

Lactating beef cow 10-12%; dry cow but pregnant 7-8%.

Billy

NOt all tubs are alike. Take a look at a simple comparison of tubs:

20% Molasses tub 20% cooked tub
cost/ton $400 $600
daily intake 2 lbs. 0.75 lbs
TDN 55% 70%
Protein 20% 20%
Protein/head/day 0.40 lbs. 0.15 lbs
TDN/head/day 1.10 lbs. .525 lbs
cost/head/day $0.40 $0.225

True, the cooked tub is cheaper to feed but it doesn't provide much protein or energy for the cost associated with it. This is designed to promote any brand because values will differ by manufacturer. Brands similar to the molasses tub are Ultralyx, Sweetlix, Purina, Westway. Brands similar to the cooked tub are Crystalyx, Smartlic, Feed in a Drum, Positive Feed, Vitalyx, MLS, Kent (Thermolass). Distillers tubs are also becoming more popular.

In my opinion you should feed a good mineral along with most of these to ensure cattle can get the mineral they need without overeating a protein supplement to get their salt or phosphorus.

MrBilly":10tybkgq said:
novaman":10tybkgq said:

From Southern Forages text, " Crude Protein needs: Growing beef steer , 450 lb - 11-13%; 650 lb, 10-11%;

Lactating beef cow 10-12%; dry cow but pregnant 7-8%.

Billy
So the ole memory is still there! :lol:

Latest posts