supper time

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryder":1767nj3t said:
novatech":1767nj3t said:
xbredI have always felt that the boards were a good place to learn. In my opinion a [b:1767nj3t said:
no comment is equal to agreeing[/b]. To let the description slide by is equal to teaching others this animal is of acceptable quality. Even though the steer is going for slaughter he represents the breeding stock within the herd.
Constructive criticism is one of the most valuable tools we have on these boards.
Just because I don't comment on a post does not necessarily mean I agree. I don't even come close to reading every post, much less commeting on them. Don't have that kind of free time.

A lot I disagre with, I do not comment on. "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."
I heard that years ago, but don't always follow the advice. Just depends.
Point taken.
I don't comment much anymore. Just tired of showing my ignorance.

novatech":2azn5io7 said:
Ryder":2azn5io7 said:
novatech":2azn5io7 said:
xbredI have always felt that the boards were a good place to learn. In my opinion a [b:2azn5io7 said:
no comment is equal to agreeing[/b]. To let the description slide by is equal to teaching others this animal is of acceptable quality. Even though the steer is going for slaughter he represents the breeding stock within the herd.
Constructive criticism is one of the most valuable tools we have on these boards.
Just because I don't comment on a post does not necessarily mean I agree. I don't even come close to reading every post, much less commeting on them. Don't have that kind of free time.

A lot I disagre with, I do not comment on. "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."
I heard that years ago, but don't always follow the advice. Just depends.
Point taken.
I don't comment much anymore. Just tired of showing my ignorance.
You are not ignorant. At least not completely. :lol2:
Many times you have made very beneficial comments. I appreciated it when you answered my question about your niche marketing -just one example.

Yet some of these same posters will campaign endlessly about the value of buying replacement stock at the stock yard.

I was the unsensitive jerk who made the original comment that started this nervous breakdown, I'm not afraid to own up to it.

Your comment above insinuates that I could be one of the "same posters", if so please copy and paste what I wrote to campaign for buying replacement stock at the stockyard or otherwise name the posters, no need to hide behind a vague statement. There are only 8 posters other than you and I to make it easier for you.

KNERSIE":3raexwd3 said:
Yet some of these same posters will campaign endlessly about the value of buying replacement stock at the stock yard.

I was the unsensitive jerk who made the original comment that started this nervous breakdown, I'm not afraid to own up to it.

Your comment above insinuates that I could be one of the "same posters", if so please copy and paste what I wrote to campaign for buying replacement stock at the stockyard or otherwise name the posters, no need to hide behind a vague statement. There are only 8 posters other than you and I to make it easier for you.

I was making no remark directed at you Knersie.
I do not keep a running tally of exactly who posts what on every thread.
sorry that you were offended by my over use of generallity.
i simply wish the board could be more civil overall and less quick to fire on the unsuspecting.
my breakdown started years before I ever read your name so don't take too much credit.

One of the reasons I lurk more than post, seems that it's tough to share a pic of something you enjoy without some folks just ripping it apart or turning the focus to something in the background og the subject animal. I agree it's someones steer and hobby he enjoys. So IMO, relax guru's (I'm referring to a few, not just one) I doubt he plans on changing the direction of the cattle industry. Let a person enjoy their hobby, without always picking the animal apart.

JMO,
Alan

Alan":gxg006i7 said:
One of the reasons I lurk more than post, seems that it's tough to share a pic of something you enjoy without some folks just ripping it apart or turning the focus to something in the background og the subject animal. I agree it's someones steer and hobby he enjoys. So IMO, relax guru's (I'm referring to a few, not just one) I doubt he plans on changing the direction of the cattle industry. Let a person enjoy their hobby, without always picking the animal apart.

JMO,
Alan

EXACTLY.

and folks should not have to lurk because they are afraid they will be typographically assaulted.

That is a nice steer, very polite at feeding time, I am sure. I would hate to think that anyone would ever learn anything on here, they might get their feelings hurt. :)

Poundsy":24f3rmvs said:
explain to me what I should be looking for then. Since the pasture is free, the feed is free, and I still sell them 10 cent over the local auction to people who are VERY happy to get freezer beef, what would I need to worry about phenotype for. Their rate of gain is fine, never had a complaint about the meat quality. I only have 5 cows(6 since I am keeping the one hiefer). Around here the quality some of you guys are used to is not available I quess.

This is my favorite post of the year.

well if i tore him down with my question,, on why he didnt pay attention to phenotype??...yes i know very cruel question.... i appologise

That steer might not bring you the most money live or grade the best carcass but if he's bought right he might make you the most money-if he's raised for freezer beef I think everbody licking their lips when the steaks hit the barby won't care much about his conformation. I don't lose much sleep over what my neighbors think let alone a bunch of keyboard cowboys.

Northern Rancher":1u1up1xp said:
That steer might not bring you the most money live or grade the best carcass but if he's bought right he might make you the most money-if he's raised for freezer beef I think everbody licking their lips when the steaks hit the barby won't care much about his conformation. I don't lose much sleep over what my neighbors think let alone a bunch of keyboard cowboys.
same here .... but dont forget you'r punchin' em too

alacattleman":38jpmxjs said:
Northern Rancher":38jpmxjs said:

Punching what? Keys? Cattle? Cowboys?...... Neighbors! :shock: :lol2:

novatech":19e8hlyj said:
xbred":19e8hlyj said:
"nice steer" is a relative term..if the man says he is a "nice steer" then he is a "nice steer"..why throw in a pennys worth of your opinion? why not no comment, and let the man enjoy his stock?? just because you have, or have seen better, does not make this one not a "nice steer" is there only 1 "nice steer in the world ?
I have always felt that the boards were a good place to learn. In my opinion a no comment is equal to agreeing. To let the description slide by is equal to teaching others this animal is of acceptable quality. Even though the steer is going for slaughter he represents the breeding stock within the herd.
Novatech - I totally agree. I cringe when someone "praises" a poor quality animal. So far, 31 people viewed this thread. Not many of them posted. So, for all the possible "newbies", I do not want them to see a picture of an animal and think "we" (guru's, novice, whatever) stamp that animal representing what the industry thinks is a good "steer" phenotypically.
Yes, a steer is a steer and will be in the freezer someday. But, every animal takes just as long to care for, and a more muscled steer WILL make you more money. He doesn't have to be PRETTY, just muscled & have the ability to put on pounds.
The steer posted might be a nice dispositioned steer.
Nice pictures.

Not to start another battle but I have to disagree. A "no comment" is exactly that, a no comment. How can it be considered a way to agree with the post? There are lots of reasons not to comment. Also, while I agree this is a great place to learn, I also know this is a place with plenty of bad or wrong advice.... Don't get me completely wrong I have gotten lots of good helpful advice and have learned a lot.... But lots of bias opinions.

Do you really think that steer along side the other multiple colored animals is a representative of seed stock of the same breed.... Or is it just a steer headed to somebody's plate?

JMO,
Alan

My point is why type it in a manner that might get you a busted lip if you said it in person.

I am fat but people call me a big guy.
I am ugly but people say I have a rugged character.
I am stupid but people tell me I have a lot of unconventional wisdom.

cause I am old and not as tough as I once was......
but I am still mean.....
and I am trying hard to work on being nice.......
really smart folks can say things mean as the devil and make you think you got a complement.

Alan":ytlindh3 said:
alacattleman":ytlindh3 said:
Northern Rancher":ytlindh3 said:

Punching what? Keys? Cattle? Cowboys?...... Neighbors! :shock: :lol2:
i work in the service dept at a chevrolet dealership.. they won't let me wear my hat.. but after five :cowboy:

I offer opinions the same as everybody else-the neighbors cows are always the easiest to manage and it just gets easier the furthur the cattle are from your keyboard mine included. If the cattle you run meet your needs financially, emotionally, and fit your outfit it really doesn't matter what a curmudgeon in meadow lake, sask. or an expert an ocean away or anybody in between thinks. I don't remember thios post starting out with tell me what's wrong with my steer lol.

Saw this thread last night and decided not to comment. Been doing a lot of that lately. It sure as heck doesn't mean I agree or disagree with anything. That's absurd. Sometimes I don't find something interesting enough to comment on, sometimes I just don't feel like commenting, and I sure as heck don't feel the need to build myself up by tearing others down like some of you do.

As for the steer, I'm with pdfangus, Northern Rancher and Alan on this one. If Poundsy thinks it's a nice steer, that's good enough for me. All he did was post some pictures of his animals, which he seems to be proud of, and which seem to be making him some money. Nothing wrong with that. He wasn't asking what the self appointed "phenotype experts" think about it, and he sure as heck didn't claim it as some sort of standard that people new to the cattle business should strive for. He may not have a bunch of highly sought after bulls for sale and fancy schmancy donor cows but he's proud of what he's got. Anyone that can't see that is the one with the problem, not him.

Poundsy's post should have created a bond between him and others that raise cattle. Instead, some of you chose to keep him at arms length because, after all, his cattle aren't as good as your cattle, are they? :roll: Shame on you.

If someone asks for advice, by all means give it as best you can. If not, would it kill some of you to just keep your mouths shut? On the other hand, if your one of those that thinks everything just HAS to be a teaching moment, and you just HAVE to bless us with some of your infinite wisdom, try doing it with a little kindness. Most people will be more receptive if they feel someone is truly trying to help than they would if they feel they are being looked down upon. And don't give me any of that "you need to have thick skin" crap. That's no excuse for the way some of you treat others. Some of you really need to get over yourselves.

Poundsy
I will stick my 2cents in
your steers look like a good average or above average commercial steer and it looks like you are taking good care of them that in my opinion is the main thing
good luck and have fun in what you are doing
I run several hd of commercial cows and I have some steers that look better than yours some that look about the same and some that look worse if they were all perfect then there would be no reason for all these Purebred bull sellers to sell any bulls :lol:

Latest posts