coming in from a hard days work
rileycattle006-1.jpg

nice steer
rileycattle011.jpg

replacement
rileycattle007.jpg

finally
rileycattle004.jpg

Not trying to be a smartass, but that steer is far from nice, he has terrible phenotype, but atleast he is a steer and not a bull.

You think his assend is too narrow? I don't pay too much attention phenotypes since I only run 30 head.

explain to me what I should be looking for then. Since the pasture is free, the feed is free, and I still sell them 10 cent over the local auction to people who are VERY happy to get freezer beef, what would I need to worry about phenotype for. Their rate of gain is fine, never had a complaint about the meat quality. I only have 5 cows(6 since I am keeping the one hiefer). Around here the quality some of you guys are used to is not available I quess.

I got to agree with Poundsy

Steer is for feeding and eating....... not selecting.

If we are going to select steers for type what the devil are we going to breed them too?

They are supposed to be the ones that have been deselected.

Poundsy":aw62d57z said:
explain to me what I should be looking for then. Since the pasture is free, the feed is free, and I still sell them 10 cent over the local auction to people who are VERY happy to get freezer beef, what would I need to worry about phenotype for. Their rate of gain is fine, never had a complaint about the meat quality. I only have 5 cows(6 since I am keeping the one hiefer). Around here the quality some of you guys are used to is not available I quess.
:p well i guess if every thing is free then their rate of gain would be acceptable..... im speaking about replacements... and seed stock

The right phenotype on a feeder calf is the one that makes you money-there's been more money lost on the fancies than is made on the uglies most years.

Northern Rancher":33jypkvg said:
The right phenotype on a feeder calf is the one that makes you money-there's been more money lost on the fancies than is made on the uglies most years.

Well put, NR. Made me smile.

"nice steer" is a relative term..if the man says he is a "nice steer" then he is a "nice steer"..why throw in a pennys worth of your opinion? why not no comment, and let the man enjoy his stock?? just because you have, or have seen better, does not make this one not a "nice steer" is there only 1 "nice steer in the world ?

xbred":30mjdmji said:
"nice steer" is a relative term..if the man says he is a "nice steer" then he is a "nice steer"..why throw in a pennys worth of your opinion? why not no comment, and let the man enjoy his stock?? just because you have, or have seen better, does not make this one not a "nice steer" is there only 1 "nice steer in the world ?
I have always felt that the boards were a good place to learn. In my opinion a no comment is equal to agreeing. To let the description slide by is equal to teaching others this animal is of acceptable quality. Even though the steer is going for slaughter he represents the breeding stock within the herd.
Constructive criticism is one of the most valuable tools we have on these boards.

pdfangus":29c4tbve said:
I got to agree with Poundsy

Steer is for feeding and eating....... not selecting.

If we are going to select steers for type what the devil are we going to breed them too?

Something still sired the steer and something still gave birth to him, that is where the selection should have taken place in the first place.

They are supposed to be the ones that have been deselected.

On this side of the ocean we get more for a quality steer, be it at the feedlot or the butcher or even selling it as freezer beef. Good beef conformation yields more retail product which equates to more money in my pocket. It also costs no more to feed a good beef animal than a poor one.

The poster said he doesn't pay attention to phenotype and it shows, if he genuinely wanted to learn he would have done it already, there is more than enough literature available in hard copy and on the internet.

pdfangus":ltnx4epq said:
tearing down is not equal to constructive criticism.
It's a mater of perspective. I have noticed a lot of comments on the boards from people that come off as being rude. Well the way people are in reality and how they come off when they post can be two entirly different things or maybe not. Doesn't it depend on how we choose to take it? For the most part I choose to believe that most comments are well intended. The comment made caused me to go back and take a second look. I didn't read anything else into it.

novatech":3aror31f said:
xbredI have always felt that the boards were a good place to learn. In my opinion a [b:3aror31f said:
no comment is equal to agreeing[/b]. To let the description slide by is equal to teaching others this animal is of acceptable quality. Even though the steer is going for slaughter he represents the breeding stock within the herd.
Constructive criticism is one of the most valuable tools we have on these boards.
Just because I don't comment on a post does not necessarily mean I agree. I don't even come close to reading every post, much less commeting on them. Don't have that kind of free time.

A lot I disagre with, I do not comment on. "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."
I heard that years ago, but don't always follow the advice. Just depends.

well I suppose I am just too dad gum sensitive.......

but it seems to me about a useful as tits on a hen to be nit picking the conformation of feeder steers for freezer beef.

this steer was not in competetion in denver or houston. he was at the feed trough.

when someone post a photo of their animal, I fail to see the joy that some have in telling them that the animal is not worth the value of the powder and shot required to kill it.

Yet some of these same posters will campaign endlessly about the value of buying replacement stock at the stock yard.

what harm does it do to say good for you? Or at least be a bit positive in the critisism.

as some one once advised me......
when you are evaluating cattle for someone else.....
good bad or indifferent......
Pretend they are in a show ring.....
everyone at the state fair is listening to you give the reasons for your evaluation.....
including the placing of the last animal in the class....
led by the 12 year old little girl .......
whose daddy is a little off kilter.......
and his little darling can do no wrong.....
and he will accept no slight to her.....
and he is in the barn with.....
a 45 in his pocket and you in his eye.

With that mindset you will find a way to give positive and constructive critisim.

Latest posts