Stuck in the Mud

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had this happen?Found one of my cows belly deep in sand/gumbo what was once a reserve pit the neighbor had the oil company make into a pond. :( I had to rescue her with cargo straps and front end loader on my john deere.Not sure how long she had been there.She tries to stand but legs are too weak.Still eats and drinks.The vet says 7 to 14 days and a lot of prayers,pick her up for 5 mins each day.So won't run the cows on neighbors land now.Sure will rip your heart out.

We lost several cows like that in the creek when I was a kid. I don,t recall ever having one get back up. Dont,t let me stop you, keep on trying.

Oh we've had that happen.

Only once though. Hopefully not ever again.

The steer was up to it's neck and back in slough mud, thick, wet muck that sucks you down farther everytime you try to struggle up and out of it. Almost like quicksand, only this time it's quickMUD.

The poor animal had obviously been struggling, but kept sinking deeper into the mud, so Dad had to somehow tie a rope around it without him too getting stuck, and use the big Case IH tractor and loader to pull the steer out. The animal was okay after that ordeal, luckly.

I pulled one for the neighbor that was almost totally submerged. She was dead by the time we got to her to try and pull her out.
I hate watering out of ponds

I saw it happen to a cow on a place that I drive by on a daily basis. The cow wasn't in there for more than several hours. The rancher found her, pulled her out with his truck and waited for a few hours. (I drove by several times as I kept forgetting stuff at the store.) After a few hours of her not getting up, he shot her. I hope your cow's outcome is better.

Well she is still eating cubes and hay,drinking water and even crawling around grazing grass under he trees where I have her.
Her calf is only 3 weeks old,so having to feed it too.

Keep a close ear on her lungs. The ones we've had stuck in the mud had a tendency to develop pneumonia.

cfpinz

Brahma Bull":23x727ur said:
Well she is still eating cubes and hay,drinking water and even crawling around grazing grass under he trees where I have her.
Her calf is only 3 weeks old,so having to feed it too.

wow, she's determined. Are you still lifting her? I would think she needs to be lifted every hour or so for 5-15 minutes.

Well,she is up walking and grazing now.I barrowed a lifting tool from one of our friends he had got from tractor supply.It goes on her hips.I picked her up for about 15 mins,gave her some feed.Then took it off.She went grazing like nothing happen but will still watch her for a few days.Guess we are both lucky.

Well one more reason for me to cuss those oilfield drilling companies and the exploration/geophysical companies.After having some of my trees knocked down then my cow stuck in drilling mud, ain't got any good words about them.Even if I did work for them for many years.

Latest posts