A stab in the dark

Help Support CattleToday:

As Kenny stated, grass tetany is treatable. The earlier it is found and treated, the better. If they are down a long time, results are not as good since internal organs may be damaged. Typical case is a down cow with a younger calf on green pasture after a weather change. Tends to affect older cows more than younger ones. Best treatment is an IV of injectable CMPK (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium with dextrose in water). If a person can't do the IV, it can be given IP (intraperitoneal - into the side of the cow where it is more slowly absorbed). Best is IV. Can be purchased as a gel tube given orally in a dosing gun, but that might be more appropriate as a follow-up to the IV treatment or as a preventative or a treatment in the early stages prior to the cow going down. High mag mineral is normally used as a herd preventative in the higher risk springtime, but don't let them run out of mineral.

Cows with tetany tend to be nervous, excited and aggressive and a little extra caution might be needed when securing them for treatment and when releasing them. Put a halter on the down cow, pull her head and neck around toward her rear leg and tie the halter to her rear leg/foot to keep her head from thrashing.

CMPK injectable is a prescription sterile product. There is also an oral liquid solution with a screw off cap - not sterile and not for injection.

In addition to respiratory, a risk this time of year is application of nitrogen fertilizer (esp. urea) if there is any standing water in the pasture. Calves and cows drinking standing water with urea may be poisoned. And someone already mentioned old car batteries that can cause lead poisoning.
I'd rather prevent it with high mag mineral. What do they say about an ounce of prevention?
I've personally never had to treat for it. My landlord lost a cow years ago to GT after the vet diagnosed and treated.
I started using high mag min this time of year and it is a non issue for me.

1. The vets around here don't seem to have time for the little guys. (I have 3 "large animal clinics" in a 7 mile radius, but I use a real cattle vet an hour and half away.
2. I've always been taught Grass Tetany is a death sentence. You prevent it you don't treat it.
3. I literally meant "a stab in the dark" I didn't think Grass Tetany until I saw the green grass in the picture. I wasn't sent the picture until I had already suggested the baytril, bannimine, and multi min. (Sick calves this time of year, you tend to think respiratory)
4. I've never claimed to get it right all the time.
There's no shame in being wrong; it happens to all of us. I sympathize with people who don't have easy access to a veterinarian. That said, there's a good reason it's illegal for non-veterinarians to diagnose and treat other people's cattle. It's also illegal for non-veterinarians to share or sell prescription drugs. I'd be pretty steamed if one of my clients were doing it and posting the details online.

There's no shame in being wrong; it happens to all of us. I sympathize with people who don't have easy access to a veterinarian. That said, there's a good reason it's illegal for non-veterinarians to diagnose and treat other people's cattle. It's also illegal for non-veterinarians to share or sell prescription drugs. I'd be pretty steamed if one of my clients were doing it and posting the details online.
Okay okay. I got no benefit from this. I missed.
But obviously there was/is a lot going on that contributed to this problem.

I'd rather prevent it with high mag mineral. What do they say about an ounce of prevention?
I've personally never had to treat for it. My landlord lost a cow years ago to GT after the vet diagnosed and treated.
I started using high mag min this time of year and it is a non issue for me.
I had a neighbor in Arkansas that lost two cows in one day to grass tetany. As you said, from what I saw it's more about prevention than treatment. I doubt many people would recognize any signs in cows out in a field.

The cows that were lost dropped in mid-stride. They were both upright on their chests, legs folded under them as though in the middle of taking a step.

A yellow magnesium block in the spring when the fresh grass is coming on prevents it. Cheap insurance since mineral block salt is good for the animals anyways.

If a person can't do the IV,
Yes, the jugular IV requires skill and training. I use the cranial ear vein. Ear vein is easy to figure out, but don't puncture the auricular artery. Jugular probably is the best.

I've always thought that grass tetany was pretty much fatal except for a fairly short time period if you catch the symptoms in time. Prevention is my strategy, we feed a hi mag mineral from around the first of the year through mid May. I've also always heard it was mainly a problem for heavier milking cows with young calves. Doesn't appear to be enough grass there to be the issue.
I'd agree with others that there was something going on with those calves long before now.
I would be interested to know the condition of the cows. If I were guessing I'd say it's nutritional deficiency, and possibly some illness as a result of it.

After treating, as Silver suggested, have him get them on a good plane of nutrition, complete with a loose mineral. The hair coat shows a definite lack of nutrition.
Don't short them on anything, keep feed and mineral in front of them 24-7.
Sad.
Good luck to your neighbor. Nice that you are trying to help.

I can't recall recognizing grass tetany in young cattle, although I read that it can happen. I suspect that grass tetany is not the issue with these calves. But since the topic came up, I will say a little more about it.

My experience here is that grass tetany animals don't just drop dead suddenly. They exhibit symptoms before they go down. Unsteady on their feet. Staggering. Getting to their feet with difficulty. Abnormal nervous/aggressive behavior. At that point, a tube or two of that CMPK gell may be enough along with a little feed with some high mag mineral in it. Then an assessment of mineral needs for the long term.

Grass tetany is due to low magnesium in the animal. A somewhat similar condition is milk fever due to low calcium. Both are imbalance in the minerals in the animal. Milk fever typically occurs at calving or soon after as the cow's calcium needs increase at lactation. More in dairy or dairy crosses, but also can occur in beef cows, mainly older ones. Treatment is similar with that multipurpose CMPK IV or can be treated with an IV of just calcium gluconate. Again, cows go down, show abnormal behavior, but recover very quickly with treatment. And the IV's need to be given slowly (low flow rate) since the chemicals are going directly into the blood stream.

Both are nutritional issues, and a good consistent supply of minerals can offset deficiencies in the forage/feed that the animal is getting. But I will ask this question. With a good mineral program, are there some animals that do not consume enough minerals for some reason - too timid at the mineral feeder, don't like the taste or whatever? How do you ensure that every animal is getting enough mineral? Same as some timid cows around hay feeders. Any criteria for number of mineral feeders? Minerals are expensive if they over consume and may not be effective if they under consume. Rare that all the cows have grass tetany or milk fever at the same time even though they are all on the same nutrition and mineral. And only some show symptoms.

My guess about the two calves - I think the clue is the "no vaccines". But combinations of things (nutrition, vaccinations, minerals, watching) might point toward maybe an overall management issue.

Last edited:
From my point of view...everything hinges 2 to 3 days before they died...were they moving around well (black leg)...or coughing bacterial (pneumonia)? Big calves, like those don't get shipping fever crossing over into a new lot.
...but let's step back...let's pretend the new lot, they were released in, is the culprit. What's inside that lot..plant wise? any deadly plants or nuts? Any exposed antifreeze laying out? What was the water source/s...any contaminated? Contamination from pigs, birds or other animals? I would focus on that lot they were let into really hard. The newest element introduced is usually what affected them. In this case, moved to a new lot.

Too early for grass tetany, IMO. In my experience it kills immediately when it does hit.
Had a guy call me this morning. In a semi panic.
Has some fall calves that were fine yesterday but not ok today.
I'll give you all the info I have, then post my educated guess later tonight.
Two calves out of a group of about 10. Still with the cows. No vaccines. Farm store mineral. Have access to round bales 24/7. Got let into a new small lot yesterday. Found these two this morning. 98.0 temps.View attachment 28359View attachment 28360View attachment 28361
I literally took a stab in the dark, because he didn't send me pictures until after I told him what to get out of my office.

What do you'll think?
Intestinal parasites, poison, or possibly mold/fungi in round bales. If they are farm fresh as described being fall calves, shipping fever wouldn't make sense. Unless, you just bought a bunch of unknown cattle (stockyards)?!

Intestinal parasites, poison, or possibly mold/fungi in round bales. If they are farm fresh as described being fall calves, shipping fever wouldn't make sense. Unless, you just bought a bunch of unknown cattle (stockyards)?!
I don't know,. They died on the farm they were born on.

Actually, shipping fever from my understanding is kind of a catch all term for respiratory illnesses, and can very well affect calves that have never been off of a farm, although not as likely. Stressful situations like weaning and being in poor condition could bring it on at the farm.

Last edited: