Storing Meds

Help Support CattleToday:

Jtylerb82

Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion on keeping meds? I know some people that keep meds in their truck regardless of outside temp and others that keep in fridge or inside. Just curious how others keep it or how effective they are if not store per label.

I store my calf meds according to the label. And I keep a close eye on when they expire, I'm blessed with a good vet, that I can get medicine from.

I suspect this is an area that is often compromised. Some items are supposed to be stored at room temperature. Those sometimes get stored on or in the dash of the truck or utility vehicle. Some are supposed to be refrigerated. I have a bottle of Factrel stored in the door of the kitchen refrigerator. That door probably gets opened 50 times a day and it heats and cools a little every time. Been there for a year. It should not be in the door and not in the kitchen. Maybe I should move it to the refrigerator in the garage. Vaccines are more critical. I have read that vaccines should NOT be stored in self defrosting refrigerators. The defrost cycle has a heater that heats up the area where ice forms - every defrost cycle. Not sure how much that changes the temperature at the spot where the vaccines are stored, but I have read that self defrost refrigerators should not be used due to temperature cycling. Most drugs and vaccines should never be allowed to freeze - which might happen in a refrigerator located in an unheated building in a cold climate or just storing in the barn. Might be too stressful to think about some of this. Most people don't have a better option than a standard refrigerator. I am sure they are stored in well regulated and monitored coolers at the manufacturer and distributor. And well packed with cold paks in insulated containers for shipping. More risk after that.
Meds generally should not be stored in direct sunlight. MLV vaccines are especially at risk in direct sunlight (UV), even for just minutes. Rehydrating in direct sunlight, laying the filled syringe on a table in direct sunlight are best to avoid. I suspect we are all guilty of this some time. But when a vaccine fails to work , do we consider handling as a possible cause?

Anyone use one of these?

VaxMate

www.priefert.com
www.priefert.com
Anyone use one of these?
Not yet, but if your looking for Christmas present ideas for me I'd love to try one. 😁 hahaha.

Let's add to the topic the use after storing properly. Do you put the needle back in the bottle as your giving the shots. Instead put a needle in the bottle and change the syringe from the bottle to the needle your giving shots with. That way can prevent contamination of the product.
Same way with buying in a large bottle to save money and leaving the bottle out for maybe an hour as your working calves then putting it back in the fridge to take good care of it.
Also I see people buying a product like 7 way that requires 2 shots and when I ask them when they are going to work them the second time and they say that they are just working them and turning out for the summer. I tell them to just save the money and effort that just squirting it up in the air would do just as good.

Bless you, @wbvs58.

I have a small fridge in the house specifically for vaccinations, penicillin, anything that requires refrigeration. Other antibiotics, sulfas, supplies, etc. are stored in an upstairs pantry. I consult with my vet on anything with a questionable expiration date (as a general rule, a few months theoretically won't matter).

I don't keep meds in my Polaris, unless I'm having a lot of scours in calves (rare) and then it's only Sustain or Terramycin. And I did get hit with pinkeye this year, so usually had a bottle of Vetericyn.

Let's add to the topic the use after storing properly. Do you put the needle back in the bottle as your giving the shots. Instead put a needle in the bottle and change the syringe from the bottle to the needle your giving shots with. That way can prevent contamination of the product.
Same way with buying in a large bottle to save money and leaving the bottle out for maybe an hour as your working calves then putting it back in the fridge to take good care of it.
Also I see people buying a product like 7 way that requires 2 shots and when I ask them when they are going to work them the second time and they say that they are just working them and turning out for the summer. I tell them to just save the money and effort that just squirting it up in the air would do just as good.
New disposable needle for every shot. No exceptions. Killed vaccines are already prefilled in disposable syringes prior to working (and separated, labeled & bagged in individual coolers). Mod live also in a separate cooler, no more than 20cc at a time in a repeater syringe. I average 50 cow/calf pair so generally purchase one large, one small bottle.

All great advice. One of the best investments is a fridge thermometer. I store vaccines that require refrigeration in a plastic box in my house refrigerator with a thermometer next to it. I also use one in my cooler when working cattle. I learned the hard way that its possible to freeze vaccines (even those in their original box) if you pile on the ice packs. I now place a small micro fiber towel between the product(s) and the ice packs as a barrier.

Anyone use one of these?
A styrofoam cooler with some ice packs works just as well and your vet clinic would probably give them to you for free if you ask nicely. Just cut a couple holes in the lid for your auto syringes and you're in business.

I prefer that technique because there's no maintenance required. If it falls off the back of my truck or a cow launches it to the moon I just make another one.

TC definitely beats me.
I buy MLV in 10 dose vials & put on a repeat gun. I put a needle in the bottle of other drugs while I'm using it & draw as needed. I keep my extra bottles in a cooler as I'm working cows/calves.
Cheap tip - I use stand up "dead" freezers for storage. We drill a hole it & put an extension cord in the freezer & run a 40W bulb in it during cold weather. I can store lots of meds, tags, AI supplies, etc - anything that does not need refrigeration. Mice cannot destroy anything.

All great advice. One of the best investments is a fridge thermometer. I store vaccines that require refrigeration in a plastic box in my house refrigerator with a thermometer next to it. I also use one in my cooler when working cattle. I learned the hard way that its possible to freeze vaccines (even those in their original box) if you pile on the ice packs. I now place a small micro fiber towel between the product(s) and the ice packs as a barrier.
I took your advice after a previous discussion about vaccines freezing. Brilliant! And who doesn't have a gazillion micro fiber towels laying around?

A styrofoam cooler with some ice packs works just as well and your vet clinic would probably give them to you for free if you ask nicely. Just cut a couple holes in the lid for your auto syringes and you're in business.

I prefer that technique because there's no maintenance required. If it falls off the back of my truck or a cow launches it to the moon I just make another one.
I'll see your styrofoam cooler from the vet and raise you a pretty darn nice Igloo I saw floating down Silver Creek, that runs through our property. Some wet jeans & boots and a fair amount of elbow grease - looks/works good as new. Dignity is overrated.;)

TCR glad you found it helpful! I was stunned that the ML vac was frozen hard as a rock in the the cooler. Grrrr. ROTFL...I've lost count of my micro fiber towel stash!

We have the vet box with the guns that hold alot. Great investment when working big groups. I am very blessed my wife is large animal vet. She handles all the med stuff. I do what she says and catch heads

It's a 'wonder' cloth for cleaning. All synthetic material. People either love them or hate them. My girls and I hate them. Not sure whst role they play in storing vaccines...
You put them between the vaccines and ice packs in coolers when you're working cattle. Vaccines still stay cold but don't freeze. They're lighter than "regular" towels and don't absorb as much condensation.

Latest posts