Meds for calf with frozen ears

Help Support CattleToday:

aprille218

Reaction score
Hi
I was given a week old bottle calf with badly frozen ears and was wondering about giving him an antibiotic. Anyone have any recommendations? LA 200, Nuflor and Combi pen are all readily available to me.
Thanks
Aprille

aprille218":1ufe332m said:
Hi
I was given a week old bottle calf with badly frozen ears and was wondering about giving him an antibiotic. Anyone have any recommendations? LA 200, Nuflor and Combi pen are all readily available to me.
Thanks
Aprille

If the calf is doing well, no temp and drinking milk , then you don't need to do anything.

hillsdown":25d8endr said:
If the calf is doing well, no temp and drinking milk , then you don't need to do anything.

:nod: :nod: :nod: (there are supposed to be nodding heads in agreement here)

A few years ago I had 3 calves born during an ice storm. Subsequently a couple of them lost ear tips and one lost a tail tip due to frostbite. At some point the frozen parts will fall off.

As long as there is no sign of infection, then there is no need to administer antibiotics.

Katherine

Calf ended up getting scours (with at least some bacterial component to it) so has been getting antibiotic anyway. Doing better now though.