Replacement milk for calf

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Lost a cow and now have a bottle baby to feed . The last time I fed a bottle was 2021 . I have enough milk replacer to mix up 6-8 bottles left from 2021 . It's been in a double zip lock bag . Can I use it or should I toss it out ? I bought a new bag so I'm good on milk , just hate to throw the old out .

freezing milk replacer is the best way to preserve it. I would use the new replacer first and slowly start mixing the old with the new after about a week. that way it doesn't go to waste and the calf gets started on health replacer. hope your new replacer is milk protein and not soy. always sad to hear when someone losses a cow or any other animal. hope your calf does well.

freezing milk replacer is the best way to preserve it. I would use the new replacer first and slowly start mixing the old with the new after about a week. that way it doesn't go to waste and the calf gets started on health replacer. hope your new replacer is milk protein and not soy. always sad to hear when someone losses a cow or any other animal. hope your calf does well.
Milk is milk protein not soy , learned that one year ago . Thanks for the reply . Old milk was not stored in freezer , just doubled bags. Thought about slowing mixing a cup in with the new .

Milk is milk protein not soy , learned that one year ago . Thanks for the reply . Old milk was not stored in freezer , just doubled bags. Thought about slowing mixing a cup in with the new .
Is there an expiration date? I've never bottle fed a calf... but a lot of other stuff. I'd be inclined to use expired stuff for my own use but don't know about milk replacer. Powdered milk for human use lasts a long time.

Is there an expiration date? I've never bottle fed a calf... but a lot of other stuff. I'd be inclined to use expired stuff for my own use but don't know about milk replacer. Powdered milk for human use lasts a long time.
No expiration date , just the date it was manufactured ? This is the new bag .

Lost a cow and now have a bottle baby to feed . The last time I fed a bottle was 2021 . I have enough milk replacer to mix up 6-8 bottles left from 2021 . It's been in a double zip lock bag . Can I use it or should I toss it out ? I bought a new bag so I'm good on milk , just hate to throw the old out .
What happened to them, Coach? What kind of cow and what kind of bull was she bred to?

I save milk replacer when I don't use it up. Use the fresh/new stuff for a week or 2, then mix a little of the old in with the new. If there are no bugs in it, no mold or anything, there is no reason to not use it. Keeping it in the freezer is preferable but not essential... Just clean and dry and protected from bugs etc.

What happened to them, Coach? What kind of cow and what kind of bull was she bred to?
One of my son's Hereford cows . Don't have a clue . That's the pasture close to the bluff(Sand Mtn ) looking down on the Tennessee River. I've looked for ivy , cherry trees , everything I can thing of that might be poisonous. We do kill rattlesnakes and copperheads up there every summer . Plus it was one of the weeks we had several bad storms with lightning. So I wish I knew . Little fellow is out of my Deer Valley All in son . So he's a black baldie . Took me over a week to find him . I've bush hogged the terraces in the pasture ( about 60 acres) but the grass is so lush I couldn't find him . He's thin and isn't taking the bottle great but he's too valuable to give up on him . We use to give orphan calves to local kids but with school starting no one wanted to fool with him . So I've got another job on my list .

Give him a few days to get the idea that you are the one he needs to look to for the milk. The nipple on the bottle does not feel like mom, and you holding it is not the same as butting up against a nice warm softer udder... and it just doesn't taste the same... but in a few days he will "get it".
How old is he?
Try standing next to him if possible, so he has to bend his neck a bit to the side and don't hold it too high so he doesn't get it into his lungs... think about how "high" the cow's teats were... for him to reach... a little more of a pita to do, but he will not suck air and will not get it down his lungs that way...
And if she didn't have big teats,,, you might want to try the sheep/lamb sized nipple...they make them to go on a 2 qt bottle... that is all I use on my calves... it is closer in size to most all the cows teats unless it is a big old uddered cow with fat teats... I know it takes a few more minutes... but they seem to "get it" better when the "teat" is not so awful big....

No expiration date , just the date it was manufactured ? This is the new bag .
All expiration dates say "best before"…not "bad after"😂

We have a bag in the freezer that has got to be 5 plus years…smells good, still good colour, still good consistency…I know yours was not in freezer but if yours is similar in "look, etc" I would blend and go for it…dry things don't typically carry "harmful" pathogens and even in the old days they would sift the flour from pests and carry on, they could tell rancid flour so I think you will tell rancid milk replacement 🤷‍♀️

If u were closer......

Eleanor is ready for a new kid! Fact is, I'm looking for one tomorrow!

Seems like a good time for you to go nurse cow shopping @coachg !
Last time I did that I bought a beautiful young jersey with a beef bull calf at her side . Had an orphan and a twin to go on her . I reckon her owner let her bag go bad before I got her at the sale . Friend son worked at the sale barn and called me with this prize jersey cow . I think I saved 1 quarter on her and lost the twin and bottle fed the orphan . Never again said the Raven ! I admire your herd and what you do with your girls but I'm just not set up for that .

Last time I did that I bought a beautiful young jersey with a beef bull calf at her side . Had an orphan and a twin to go on her . I reckon her owner let her bag go bad before I got her at the sale . Friend son worked at the sale barn and called me with this prize jersey cow . I think I saved 1 quarter on her and lost the twin and bottle fed the orphan . Never again said the Raven ! I admire your herd and what you do with your girls but I'm just not set up for that .
That's an awful experience coach. Sorry to hear about that. It's always a gamble at the sales. Anything like that, I sure like to talk to the owner before the sale.

It's been my experience, GOOD nurse cows just don't get sold!
And when they do, they demand a premium.

@farmerjan u knew I was gonna go there didn't ya? 🤭

Calf still with mostly water scours, went to the vet . Rezflor shot and B12 shot . Has anyone ever used Merricks blue ribbon anti-diarrhea boluses ? Supposedly absorbs the moisture to slow down water loss.

Calf still with mostly water scours, went to the vet . Rezflor shot and B12 shot . Has anyone ever used Merricks blue ribbon anti-diarrhea boluses ? Supposedly absorbs the moisture to slow down water loss.
I've not heard of merricks.
I've had good luck with the sustain lll tho.
I'd consult vet about administration with the resflor. I can't remember for sure about combos.

Did the vet think the resflor would help with the scours?

He said if it was a certain type it would . Can't remember which one he said . He encouraged me to continue the scour bolus I was using. I just found the Merricks at Tractor Supply.. Vet is the one that gave me the 2 shots to give the calf .

Latest posts