used meds

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
I treated a cow the other day for pink eye and have about half the bottle left. Do yall keep and reuse or throw away? I had to give her four shots so the needle was used on her then put back in the bottle. Its la200.

Craig Miller":gj5ieswc said:
I treated a cow the other day for pink eye and have about half the bottle left. Do yall keep and reuse or throw away? I had to give her four shots so the needle was used on her then put back in the bottle. Its la200.

Stick a clean needle in the bottle next time and pull the one on the syringe off after using.

Then, attach the syringe to the needle in the bottle and refill - being careful not to push anything in to the bottle.

Detach the syringe from the needle in the bottle and re-attach the used needle and go at it again.

Repeat as required.

Or, next time buy larger syringes - one time pull from the bottle.

Needles and syringes are cheap - we always have a few hundred of various sizes from 0.5 cc insulin needles right through to 80 plus cc on hand.

You may know this but others may not.

Never more than 10 cc to any injection site and always in the triangle at the neck.

Most folks would keep that bottle - we throw them out if they are contaminated.

Bez

Ok tha ks for the replies. I think ill toss it this time and go into it with a better plan next time. Thats probably why they gave me four needles at the co op.

snake67":2y9tmiot said:
Stick a clean needle in the bottle next time and pull the one on the syringe off after using.

Then, attach the syringe to the needle in the bottle and refill - being careful not to push anything in to the bottle.

Detach the syringe from the needle in the bottle and re-attach the used needle and go at it again.

Repeat as required.

This is how I do it.

LA200 can be used for several diff. species so I'd rather use a new needle, for the bottle, every time.

Katherine

Always use a new, sterile needle in a bottle. As Bez stated, "some may not know this". But many Disease can be transmitted via contamination of the vial. A biggie is Anaplasmosis. There are cows that are carriers without symptoms. Then the next cow infected may die or abort, or die while aborting.

I would keep it, especially LA200.. Considering it's fairly darned good at killing bacteria at the concentration in the cow, I doubt much of anything would survive IN the bottle.. Viruses could stay alive though. You have to look at everything... If you have a lot of close neighbors, buy a lot of cattle, etc you put yourself at higher risk... We're pretty alone and other than a bull every 5 years, we haven't bought a cow in 22 years

Latest posts