OTC Meds Scheduled to become Rx Only

Help Support CattleToday:

It's gonna get serious here if people have to go to a vet to get LA 300 or related meds. We have a Vet College in the county but not a large animal vet..
Not sure if you watched —and I've never seen this guy before, so don't know him at all— but he suggests buying what you can, while you can. Seems like a good idea, but absolutely wrong that this should happen at all.

I have read that the FDA is working on making all off-label use of all Rxs illegal in the very near future—and this fits right in. grrrrr

I'm pretty sure off label is illegal unless by a vet already.
We have been discussing this for a while. How much do you use now? What are the expiration times. Most of the antibiotics have an expiration date of no more than a year. Buy a lot of it and not use it will be a huge waste. Better get friendly with a vet.

This has been in the works for years. It is directed to the stupid people that have a couple of animals, brings something home and decides it needs a shot of XYZ without knowing if the animal is sick or what it has. It will be a PAIN..... but if any good decent farmer has a relationship with a vet, they will have no problem getting what they need. This video shown by @Hischild is an example of someone that does not understand the whole principle of this.
NO I am not thrilled by it.... but if you have animals, then you should have some sort of an established relationship with a vet so that you will be able to keep some of these things on hand to use.... you do not have to run to the vet every time something is wrong.... most will respond with a return phone call if they already know you.
This is to stop the use of some of these drugs by people who think they know what they are doing and really are shooting in the dark and have become the cause of some of this over medicating for no good reason......
Most of the vets I know are not in favor of it either... more paper work for them....
It will be a pain to not be able to run to TSC or Rural King to pick something up over the weekend that you have run out of....... most all farmers that I know will have a neighbor farmer that they can "borrow" something from to get through over the weekend if needed....

Plan ahead and get what you need to have some stock on hand and then keep a better inventory of it....
People "SHOULD NOT" be using antibiotics labeled for animals.....

I use a vet that is an hour away because I like them better than the ones 20 min away. I also have friends in CA that are 3 hours from a large animal vet and they have been unable to buy OTC drugs for a couple years. They have a once a year type of relationship with that vet... not ideal at all but you have to have some sort of a relationship. I realize we are very fortunate here to have multiple practices that are fairly close. Even @kenny thomas says that he does not have a practice close, due to the vets at the school there, but he has a relationship with them.

I am very unhappy with the final stage of these regulations but we cannot stop them at this point in time so you have to find a way to work around them. I would greatly prefer to be able to run down to the co-op to pick up a bottle of LA 300 and the thing that is going to be a PITA is losing the availability of mastitis medicine and such like that.
Yet is it okay for the idiots to let any and all drug addicts and pushers in this country and kill us with the illegal drugs when us farmers are just trying to do our job quietly and efficiently. It is total BS... but it is something we will not be able to buck.

I use a vet 2 hrs away because the practice 1 hour away treats you like you know less than zero and you must be a criminal to want a bottle of anything.
As I type this my wife is in this awful clinic begging for a bottle of oxytocin!!! I told her to tell them to stick their bottle where the sun don't shine but she wants to see it through. This crap can really put me in a foul mood.

Silver, I don't know the rules and regs in Canada.... but our vet will drop ship drugs, and it takes 2 days normally... and if it is over $200 it is free... that might be an option for you. Most of the dairies around here get their drugs by the case or 1/2 case... 6 bottles of this and 6 of that when the vets do a regular monthly vet check... but several will get drugs shipped to them after the vet has been there....
By the time you get done arguing with them, she could drive the extra hour if you have to have it ..... yeah, the one clinic here closer said they can no longer sell us any drugs unless we have the vet come out.... the vet we really liked there retired... and we are persona non-grata now.
There is another vet that I stopped to get some darts from last year and because they just know us... we are not their client but they were the only one around with darts so I went there..... the "girl" in the office said, yeah, I know you guys and sold me a bottle of Draxxin also....
My preferred vet has been very good about trying to work with those of us that are somewhat regular clients... we only do preg checks and some BSE's on the bulls.... but I am building up my supply of some things so I have them on hand when we need them. Most all drugs that go out of date will usually lose a little strength... but I am not talking 5-10 years out of date..... I have talked to the vet about this.... and refrigeration will normally slow any loss of strength a little also.
Pills can be frozen and retain quality... if you have a vacuum sealer, put them in it and see how long they stay good.... I am eating some beef I found in my freezer that was killed in 2016... and the ground beef is cooking up fine.

One thing my vet mentioned when she was out a few weeks ago (pelvic measuring heifers/BANGS) is this is primarily targeting Nuflor/Resflor Gold for the current RX antibiotics, although they're obviously all included, and vets are encouraged to distribute by the dose as opposed to a bottle but contingent on the client/vet relationship and the clients' needs. As in, if the vet has a good relationship with the client and familiar with their operation, they would be more prone to sell a full bottle.

BTW, the vets hate the hassle just as much as we do! But it is what it is.

Why is Resflor targeted? Is there some concern on creating antibiotic resistance and if so for what?
Resflor Gold is essentially the same as Nuflor except it has Banamine in it. Not sure on the specifics but because of the potential antibiotic resistance on humans. Which is incredibly stupid IMO because an animal can't be slaughtered for consumption prior to withdrawal in the first place and the meat is tested at slaughterhouses/packing plants. It's basically politics at its finest.

Ashby Herd Health?

Would enjoy meeting some other folks from the area.
No, Valley Vet in Verona.... my regular vet is Dr Todd Wiseman with Dayton Veterinary.... he does several dairies down my way so we try to co-ordinate trips and saves some travel money....

Last edited:
It's basically politics at its finest.
There seem to be a lot of broken areas currently. I have had some med issues and, if and when I complain, even health care people themselves say "the system is breaking down"

I spoke with my vet tech earlier this year about these changes and she mentioned something about not "just giving out meds" to those asking. Now she hasn't ever questioned anything but it makes me wonder...

One thing my vet mentioned when she was out a few weeks ago (pelvic measuring heifers/BANGS) is this is primarily targeting Nuflor/Resflor Gold for the current RX antibiotics, although they're obviously all included, and vets are encouraged to distribute by the dose as opposed to a bottle but contingent on the client/vet relationship and the clients' needs. As in, if the vet has a good relationship with the client and familiar with their operation, they would be more prone to sell a full bottle.

BTW, the vets hate the hassle just as much as we do! But it is what it is.
Isn't it technically already by vet only. Most anything like Draxxin, Excede, Micotil, and I'm pretty sure Nuflor already is restricted.

Yes, it's the OTC's that will soon be RX only but the current RX meds you get will be (are supposed to be) by the dose. So, you won't be able to just drop by your vet clinic and buy a bottle of Nuflor, Draxxin, Baytril, etc. in anticipation of calving, weaning, whatever.

Everything you listed @kenny thomas is by vet prescript or issue now. It is going to take away any of the oxytets, pennicillin, the cepharin sodiums of intra-mammary mastitis medicine .... although how a human would "take them" I have no idea.. yuck......the sulfa drugs for calf scours etc....
Can't even get Multi-Min OTC due to the selenium content.... vet only....

Latest posts