Stockpile 2022

Help Support CattleToday:

48CD631E-B4A7-4BA1-995D-041CDF90F870.jpeg1B781498-C8D9-4D05-9EF4-D094AE426AF6.jpeg
Top photo is a Pays to Dream cow,'13 model. Always weans at the top and calves on time. 100% bull calves so far.

Bottom is registered angus I bought last spring. She was supposed to be open. Guess not! According to the calendar she was maybe two weeks bred when I got her.

Very cool! Have you been on corn stalks up to now? I am grazing stockpiled fescue now, but I didn't have any cattle during the fall to let the stockpile grow.

I have some stalks to put them on but one thing led to another and I haven't got it wired off yet. If I live long enough I'd like to get two hot hi tensile strands around every crop field we have to winter on. I'm just shy of two things to make it happen. Money and time.

I wonder how much fencing the savings in hay could pay for.
I'll get there eventually. I figure every acre of 150 bushel stalks is worth a bale of hay not counting any corn they get. I've also considered leaving strips of standing corn, letting them have so much at a time with a wire. When corn is cheap it would pay better.
On the bean stubble fields I'll sow wheat oats or rye to turn them on early spring, in my long term master plan. I have wheat with frosty berseem clover I'll graze this spring and bale and wrap when mature.

I have some stalks to put them on but one thing led to another and I haven't got it wired off yet. If I live long enough I'd like to get two hot hi tensile strands around every crop field we have to winter on. I'm just shy of two things to make it happen. Money and time.

A little at a time is my master plan.

Making it all hot I would definitely be using some type of self insulated post just to save the yearly hassle of replacing plastic insulators.

Making it all hot I would definitely be using some type of self insulated post just to save the yearly hassle of replacing plastic insulators.
The pinlock insulators are pretty good. They don't give near as much trouble as the other type.

Timeless makes a plastic T post with holes to run wire through. Never bought any but I may try them someday.

The pinlock insulators are pretty good. They don't give near as much trouble as the other type.

Timeless makes a plastic T post with holes to run wire through. Never bought any but I may try them someday.
I've talked to a local distributor for timeless and intend to go look at some of his stuff when I get a chance. Timing right now is hard to work out.

How many strains you looking to do? I did an experiment a few years ago with the fiberglass poles and 2 strain hot. Drilled holes in it and used wire ties to attach wire to poles. Worked well and very cheap to put up.

How many strains you looking to do? I did an experiment a few years ago with the fiberglass poles and 2 strain hot. Drilled holes in it and used wire ties to attach wire to poles. Worked well and very cheap to put up.
What type of fiberglass pole did you use? The timeless stuff is priced too high for me. But I love the idea of a pole that won't ground out. I too need to do some fencing. 2 strands sounds perfect for me.

Looking at running some hair sheep and if possible keeping feral hogs out so I was planning on two maybe three strands of high tensile wire inside an existing fence. Two hot wires makes a good fence for cattle.

The timless post are a bit high but I haven't found any fiberglass sucker rod I can get a hold of cheap. The idea of getting away from the plastic insulators with the deer and feral hog pressure has a lot of apeal to me.

Are you moving line on a regular basis and if so how are you using posts with holes? If I understand you correctly deer are getting tangled in fence and popping insulators off poles, correct?

We have both fall and spring calves, the issue with winter stockpile and young on a single strand is they creep under the lines unless we set them low. Low lines need more posts though.

Latest posts