2022 Forage Fertility Plan

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am working on a 2022 plan based on the latest prices. Initial idea was to trample alot of the spring flush, spread some compost late summer, and then top dress commercial fertilizer for a fall stockpile. Looks like I can justify some commercial fertilizer on hay ground, but the lower forage value and utilization for grazing makes fertilizing pasture questionable. What are you seeing?

Heck, these prices make it hard to plant corn on average ground, much less to fertilize pasture, but I will anyway. The summer place will get 50# N next spring, and the winter places will get it in September. Hopefully the price will come off by then.

I've got some wheat/frosty berseem clover sown for hay. Frosty is supposed to make adequate N, so I'll probably put 18-46-0 and 0-0-60 on it. Hopefully the 36-45# N from the DAP will be enough with the N from the Frosty. I may leave a streak without just to see what the difference is to the naked eye.

I called the Coop today and they quoted me U$S 975 per ton for urea. Said the price was still trending up... No use in applying it to forage at that price. Not even sure it if would work with high RTN corn.

Sounds like we need to load up on clover seed before it is also gone.

I called the Coop today and they quoted me U$S 975 per ton for urea. Said the price was still trending up... No use in applying it to forage at that price. Not even sure it if would work with high RTN corn.

Not spraying out any Sweetclover I seeded last year. 150 acres looked like it was underseeded to Alfalfa. Just going to blast more seed on top in the spring and harrow. Save moisture and fertilizer $. Pastures fertilized with feeding. I think it's a year to coast the hay fields. Glad I've faithfully fertilized to this point.

Last year the hay fields got spread real heavy. They spread under the wrong pivot, one with no water. So B told them that one is on you. They made up for it by being real heavy here. Two out of three fields had a lot of hay fed on them. I will soil test in about March but I doubt they need anything. All the hay cut off these fields was fed to cows out on the same fields.

You'll make your money back faster with clover and a manure spread this year, then commercial fertilizer.

Last year I put out 20 ton of shed sweepings an my paddocks. I haven't been game to ask the Coop how much for it this year or the availability as I am sure the grain producers will be swallowing it all up. It is just as well the ground is too wet to get a truck in anyway. I am sure our excessive rain this last winter and spring has washed any residual fertiliser down the creeks. We do have a very good white clover coverage at the moment just hope it is well nodulated.

Ken

I was not happy with Pearl Millet palatability in my experimental plot, so plan to try plant Jap millet in 2022. Might pair it with SC since they both so course. How much production do you get with sweet clover in year one vs. year two?

How well does SS work in Canada? I would expect corn to do much better.

1000.00 urea will pencil out just fine on 250.00 a ton hay. That's where it'll be, and we all know someone will pay it.
A couple months ago the talking heads pointed out that fertilizer cost had almost doubled, but there was still a decent positive margin on productive soils with U$S 5.65 corn. Now fertilizer has made another jump higher...

I assume corn and hay yields will come down in 2022, and feed prices will go up. But the only people I know who will pay $250 per ton for hay are horsewomen. Looks like another high cow kill year unless we all plant clover.

I was not happy with Pearl Millet palatability in my experimental plot, so plan to try plant Jap millet in 2022. Might pair it with SC since they both so course. How much production do you get with sweet clover in year one vs. year two?

How well does SS work in Canada? I would expect corn to do much better.
Year one it doesn't amount to much and isn't very coarse, almost impossible to ever dry. Year two I've seen it almost 6' and gets stemmy but can dry. I'm interested to see what an actual thick stand does for bales/acre and I think as long as it winters I have one. Not worried about palatability just volume if we drought again.

SS is really catching on here. Lots of guys are reporting 6'+crops and lots of bales per acre. Seems to catch really easy, I've seeded it multiple ways and it always seems to grow. Haven't really tried a very high % stand of it yet personally.

1000.00 urea will pencil out just fine on 250.00 a ton hay. That's where it'll be, and we all know someone will pay it.
Someone might pay it but it won't be me, that's about 5-6 times what I paid this year for hay. That would be approx. $125 for a 4x5 round bale if it's not rolled up real tight. I'll sell down my cow numbers before I pay that much because at $250 a ton the cows would eat up any potential profits for the next year.

Someone might pay it but it won't be me, that's about 5-6 times what I paid this year for hay. That would be approx. $125 for a 4x5 round bale if it's not rolled up real tight. I'll sell down my cow numbers before I pay that much because at $250 a ton the cows would eat up any potential profits for the next year.
I wouldn't pay it either. But I'll dang sure sell it to those feeding the tax deductions.

Latest posts