2022 Forage Fertility Plan

Help Support CattleToday:

I've already done away with the chemical fertilizer bill. Thankfully. Imported hay is all this place gets. Unrolled where I need the fertility.

I am going to inquire on dump loads of chicken litter from my feed guy. Hoping he can help.

I do think clover seed is a great investment. But then you have to stop using herbicides. Which, in the end, means you need to be doing some form of grazing management. Be it a permanent paddock rotation or polywire/pigtails, some management is required for the clover to be affective. Otherwise it'll be all weeds.

Grazing management is what's required now.

I grow weeds real well though in the 15 years I have been here I have seen a big difference. When I first took over this place when we had some good spring/summer rain like we have this year the place was nothing but nutgrass and a weed I call heartleaf, this year the nutgrass and heartleaf is around but only in small patches and areas and even there the grasses are fighting through and the grasses generally are much healthier and thicker.. The main thing I have change is my grazing management, cattle are rotated through 8 paddocks as one mob.

Ken

@wbvs58 do your cattle eat the two undesireables you mention? I have weeds too, but they eat the majority. Even if they didn't eat them, I'd be happy. These weeds are doing some real work for us beneath the surface.

It's very cool to watch the ground transition when it gets some quality rest.

I see no one being able to afford fertilize this year. Crops, cattle, lawns. Some may go in/on the ground, but it will not pencil out.

I've already done away with the chemical fertilizer bill. Thankfully. Imported hay is all this place gets. Unrolled where I need the fertility.

I am going to inquire on dump loads of chicken litter from my feed guy. Hoping he can help.

I do think clover seed is a great investment. But then you have to stop using herbicides. Which, in the end, means you need to be doing some form of grazing management. Be it a permanent paddock rotation or polywire/pigtails, some management is required for the clover to be affective. Otherwise it'll be all weeds.

Grazing management is what's required now.
Early spring application of 2,4D doesn't do much harm to clover it seems, especially if there's a bad ironweed or buttercup problem to be dealt with, I've had to deal with both on specific pastures. That being said, I try not to spray unless I feel it's absolutely necessary. It doesn't hurt anything to have a few weeds poking up here and there.

I have some high traffic spots/hay feeding areas with bad pig stickers (Redroot pigweed I believe) that probably could use a residual for a few years to thin down. Never have used a residual on pasture, I may try it some day on just those areas to get the grass competition down.

Early spring application of 2,4D doesn't do much harm to clover it seems, especially if there's a bad ironweed or buttercup problem to be dealt with, I've had to deal with both on specific pastures. That being said, I try not to spray unless I feel it's absolutely necessary. It doesn't hurt anything to have a few weeds poking up here and there.

I have some high traffic spots/hay feeding areas with bad pig stickers (Redroot pigweed I believe) that probably could use a residual for a few years to thin down. Never have used a residual on pasture, I may try it some day on just those areas to get the grass competition down.
We get something like that, possibly called Spiney Amaranth? Has thorns half an inch long at each node and will eat you up. Cattle will eat the growth tips off of this one when made to compete for food.

That plant is doing some real work though. It seems to condition the soil. I feel it's best to let it do its thing until its ideal growing conditions cease to exist. Let succession take place. Eventually the grass will be there. That's my take at least.

Same with horsenettle, i have sprayed it with remedy and still was a problem. In just a few years of giving good rest and keeping 6 inches of cover most of the time, horsenettle seems to be thinning out. Or it could have been the drought conditions that it couldn't stand. I did notice a decrease though.

What do you mean by a residual? Something like Remedy?

There are two types of herbicide, preemergent and post emergent. Some pre's have some post or contact action as well, such as atrazine. A residual is a preemergent, which either keeps the seeds from sprouting or lets the seed sprout and kills it at a very young stage, and persist in the soil for some time. 2,4D is a post emergent.

Your amaranth/pigweeds are best controlled by a pre or residual program, since they are small seeded.

I agree with you, if one can get the grass to take over, the weeds decrease. It's hard to get it going in those high traffic areas it seems.

Year one it doesn't amount to much and isn't very coarse, almost impossible to ever dry. Year two I've seen it almost 6' and gets stemmy but can dry. I'm interested to see what an actual thick stand does for bales/acre and I think as long as it winters I have one. Not worried about palatability just volume if we drought again.

SS is really catching on here. Lots of guys are reporting 6'+crops and lots of bales per acre. Seems to catch really easy, I've seeded it multiple ways and it always seems to grow. Haven't really tried a very high % stand of it yet personally.
What is SS? Up here it's sewage sludge

@wbvs58 do your cattle eat the two undesireables you mention? I have weeds too, but they eat the majority. Even if they didn't eat them, I'd be happy. These weeds are doing some real work for us beneath the surface.

It's very cool to watch the ground transition when it gets some quality rest.

I see no one being able to afford fertilize this year. Crops, cattle, lawns. Some may go in/on the ground, but it will not pencil out.
The nutgrass yes but of questionable nutritional value but these days it only occurs sparsely, good grasses are more vigorous. I don't stress about the weeds they get trampled in and add to the organic matter.

Ken

Latest posts