Stock trailer floor non slip question

Help Support CattleToday:

I may be thinking wrong, but it seems carpet when wet and dirty or even clean maybe, is going to be as slick as the floor without anything. Don't know never tried such a thing just don't sound good. I have panels in one trailer and rubber mats in another and both are good IMO.

jedstivers":31xbkei5 said:
I use the mats from TSC, that way we can haul horses with shoes or cattle. Used the cattle panel for years though.
Tight as that guy sounds he doesn't even need livestock. If you can't care for them you don't need them.
100% agree. He has 2 horses, one donkey, some pigs and occasionally a steer. Not one of them is healthy looking. His place looks like a junkyard and the cops are always over there because of fighting. But, whatya going to do.

I have 1/2 inch deformed bar welded in a 12" square grid on the floor of my truck. Two 10'x8' panels are easily removed yet heavy enough not to lift or buckle especially with the edge of the crate keeping it down. Works very well.
Ken

Let guess, he found some carpet on the side of the road?
Wonder how long before it rots & the wood below it because of the retained moisture. :dunce:
Sounds like my neighbor. Didn't put out fertilizer last year because it was "too expensive". During the winter he ran out of hay, ended up buying round bales for $75 each. Would have been much cheaper to put out the "expensive" fertilizer. The old saying "penny wise dollar foolish" fits real well.
I put panels in my trailer, when I see a problem I'll pull em out and put in new ones. :cboy:

circledandbranch":1h850h0h said:
Those Cattle Panels Sound Like Toe Abscesses Waiting To Happen

Maybe they would be if I took my cattle to Dairy Queen every night. Only time they are in the trailer is if a problem comes up I can't handle then it's a 20 min trip to the vet and back hopefully.
Or a 20 min trip to the sale barn. I've had panels in my trailer for about 10 years now and haven't had a single problem. Guess I'm just lucky. Don't think I've ever seen one of my Brangus cattle with toes though, they all have hooves. :2cents:

I can't imagine wire panels beeing hoof friendly. Stapled to the trailer floor sounds like a big PIA to clean.

I'm with dun and jed on the rubber mats. Good traction, hoof and human foot friendly, and can easily be removed to powerwash the trailer after the job is done. Wire panels stapled to the the trailer floor, how the be nice do you clean that?

Since I sold my cattle I don't haul much livestock anymore in my 16' WW. Use it for 4 wheeler more than anything. 4 wheeler doesn't crap in there so I don't have to clean it much. ;-)

I'll have admit cleaning the trailer with the panels is little messy. I put on a rain suit and use a power washer. Cleans up well, just scatters things kind of wildly. The trailer cleaned up well enough to move my daughter's furniture to a new place. She is a princess so you know it had to be clean and now you know I'm a redneck. :lol2:

I haul cattle and horses in mine and my wife (horse owner) was adamant about not having a cattle pannel in it so i put 1 x 2's and screwed them down in an X pattern.
__
IXI

I did one of these in each section of the trailer.

dcarp":282unv9f said:
circledandbranch":282unv9f said:
Those Cattle Panels Sound Like Toe Abscesses Waiting To Happen

Maybe they would be if I took my cattle to Dairy Queen every night. Only time they are in the trailer is if a problem comes up I can't handle then it's a 20 min trip to the vet and back hopefully.
Or a 20 min trip to the sale barn. I've had panels in my trailer for about 10 years now and haven't had a single problem. Guess I'm just lucky. Don't think I've ever seen one of my Brangus cattle with toes though, they all have hooves. :2cents:
I Guess It Is Not All That Surprising That You Have Never Dealt With Toe Abscesses If Your Cattle Don't Have Toes. Lucky Man You Are.

We've used cattle panels in our stock trailer for as long as I can remember and I've never seen a foot problem because of it. However, I do get tired of the panel coming up catching the center gate or constantly fixing. I've thought about making a grid out of rebar and attaching to the floor. I think it would last longer and not come up as easily. Has anyone tried that?

Remember that people of Walmart type picture I put up? That's his daughter. He just shaved her back and had enough to glue down on the floor

I know this is an old thread but hoping some still can answer me. For those that use the thick rubber floor mats, they are usually 4x6 I think? Do you just toss a few in there loose? or some other way? I think my trailer dimensions are 8x16. It seems like they would push the mats up getting their hooves under them or something and then the mats just being useless anyways. This is for Herefords, most always just to transport to butcher. Had my first experience with one slipping on the wooden floor and ended up splay legged. What a nightmare. Really any cost is not too much compared to the loss of one full grown steer that can't get up itself and walk to slaughter at a USDA facility.

znagir":2s4n4i4y said:
I know this is an old thread but hoping some still can answer me. For those that use the thick rubber floor mats, they are usually 4x6 I think? Do you just toss a few in there loose? or some other way? I think my trailer dimensions are 8x16. It seems like they would push the mats up getting their hooves under them or something and then the mats just being useless anyways. This is for Herefords, most always just to transport to butcher. Had my first experience with one slipping on the wooden floor and ended up splay legged. What a nightmare. Really any cost is not too much compared to the loss of one full grown steer that can't get up itself and walk to slaughter at a USDA facility.
I screwed stall mats down over the 2x6 and cattle panels. As you found out a wood floor is a no go. When I put a new floor in my trailer I used 2x6 and cattle panels stapled to them and left a 3/4" gap between the boards. The trailer cleaned out really nice but everywhere you stopped crap would be all over the ground. We do a lot of farm days at different schools and the negative PR from some kids and teachers made us decide to go another route for flooring.

I bought a couple mats and threw in my 16 foot and didn't screw the back one down. Lost it somewhere as it apparently slid out under the gate. Screwed the next one down and I've been good since. They are still a little slick but nothing like the wood by itself.

We have an aluminum trailer with aluminum floor. After our first load with a cow downed due to slipping and having rig a jib pole up on the FEL to get her on her feet, that was a chore and we were damn lucky she was not hurt. I put in the stall mats from TSC and that solved the issue. I got them set in tight/wedged good. It is a chore to clean though
The stall mats do work good.

slick4591":4i78vgc5 said:
I bought a couple mats and threw in my 16 foot and didn't screw the back one down. Lost it somewhere as it apparently slid out under the gate. Screwed the next one down and I've been good since. They are still a little slick but nothing like the wood by itself.

Yep the wind will wiggle em right under the gate.
I use 2x4 horse panels stapled down with good barbed fence Staples.
Seems like it would be slick and at first it is. After a put the panels in I put some cows in and let em stomp around in there for a few hours. The panels are very soft steel and get mashed down to the contours of the lumber. Not only does it give good traction. It virtually eliminates any chance of a foot going through. ........no shod horses of course

Latest posts