Trailer Floor

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
When do you replace the floor in the trailer. Or do you do like I did wait until a calf falls through a rotten board and breaks its leg. Any way the trailer is in the shop now to have the floor replaced. Long time of go I would have did the job my self but can do does work as well as in the past.

Waiting on my welder man to fix a metal panel and add some new bracing and then we are putting in the wooden floor . Wondering about adding strips of rubber mats to help on slipping.

Waiting on my welder man to fix a metal panel and add some new bracing and then we are putting in the wooden floor . Wondering about adding strips of rubber mats to help on slipping.
I put wire panels down in mine..works great if all your hauling is cattle..not so much if your hauling shod horses ..washes out easier too

It had a wire "hog" panel in it . Never have cared much for it . Just thinking outside the box

I put wire panels down in mine..works great if all your hauling is cattle..not so much if your hauling shod horses ..washes out easier too
My trailer is a 16 foot WW goose neck. This will be the second floor since buying the trailer. I told the floor installer to put in a new 5x16 foot bull panel and weld it to the cross braces. If i was going to stay in the cattle business I think I would install the Rumber boards and be done with the wood becoming rotten.

My trailer is a 16 foot WW goose neck. This will be the second floor since buying the trailer. I told the floor installer to put in a new 5x16 foot bull panel and weld it to the cross braces. If i was going to stay in the cattle business I think I would install the Rumber boards and be done with the wood becoming rotten.

Thats what they are using in some of the new trailers..I need to replace mine in the future ..

Thats what they are using in some of the new trailers..I need to replace mine in the future ..
1974 Hanover replaced the floor two years ago. One rotten board, trailer washed after every use. I also sprayed down with diesel couple times a year.
All metal was still good.876FE84F-61EB-470D-B7C5-01080A196C65.jpeg9476263B-65C7-452E-9F64-7D3C49C3E8A1.jpeg

When do you replace the floor in the trailer. Or do you do like I did wait until a calf falls through a rotten board and breaks its leg. Any way the trailer is in the shop now to have the floor replaced. Long time of go I would have did the job my self but can do does work as well as in the past.
When? Not being a smaret-ass, but how about when it needs it? Waiting til one falls through is not the best time to replace. Just check it a few times a year and replace it when you find a soft spot.

That's a bummer that you had to lose one hurleyjd. Thanks for telling us, it is a good reminder to check our floors.

Ken

When? Not being a smaret-ass, but how about when it needs it? Waiting til one falls through is not the best time to replace. Just check it a few times a year and replace it when you find a soft spot.
Yeh I know that I am not on the ball as well as I need to be. Age is pretty well catching up to me. No excuses on my part. Also what to do with the calf, front leg broke. Will it knit back together. I cannot butcher it because I do not know how and not able to take on the work. Guess I will watch and see what happens.

Yeh I know that I am not on the ball as well as I need to be. Age is pretty well catching up to me. No excuses on my part. Also what to do with the calf, front leg broke. Will it knit back together. I cannot butcher it because I do not know how and not able to take on the work. Guess I will watch and see what happens.
Put it up in a small area and feed it, get you a butcher date now so that when he's ready you can take him in.

ive Had a couple calves with broken legs, they'll heal up fine..

Found mine when spraying it down. Only one board was bad but I changed them all.
Here is the old floor.E65BC42E-8FF2-41C9-92A4-1C9675C091CF.jpeg

Timely post. Loading/hauling calves this week and just as Mr TC was getting ready to pull out with the last load, I saw a leg go through the floor. Calf immediately pulled it back and was fine but had to back up and unload them in the corral. Inspected the trailer and found another spot that was rotten but fortunately, both were right next to the side, and we were able to cover the area with a rubber pad & wedge a 2x6 over the pad, flush with the side and under the center gate as a temporary fix.

Totally our (my) fault and unacceptable. Trailer is only 6 years old and while we were initially diligent about cleaning it out, the past 4 years has been one health crisis after another for Mr TC and the trailer was at the bottom of my to-do list. Lesson learned, no more lame excuses.

Clean living f
Timely post. Loading/hauling calves this week and just as Mr TC was getting ready to pull out with the last load, I saw a leg go through the floor. Calf immediately pulled it back and was fine but had to back up and unload them in the corral. Inspected the trailer and found another spot that was rotten but fortunately, both were right next to the side, and we were able to cover the area with a rubber pad & wedge a 2x6 over the pad, flush with the side and under the center gate as a temporary fix.

Totally our (my) fault and unacceptable. Trailer is only 6 years old and while we were initially diligent about cleaning it out, the past 4 years has been one health crisis after another for Mr TC and the trailer was at the bottom of my to-do list. Lesson learned, no more lame excuses.
Clean living for sure ! I would never be that lucky !