Stock Investments

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd like to know what those are as well.
We had a growth stock, it did 1200%. I wanted to sell it. Our investor said we still have it on a buy and didn't think we should sell it.
It was up to $167/share, it's $114 a share now. I should have gone with my gut.
I got a great lesson in following advice with the very first stock I ever bought. I was new to the whole thing and had accumulated quite a nest egg, contacted a financial advisor with a well known company, and he gave me a list of stocks he said he had researched and would recommend. Sunbeam was at the top of that list and I watched it for a month before buying.

The VERY NEXT DAY there was an article that came out in a financial magazine that said Sunbeam's CEO was the most over-rated CEO in the country... and the stock TANKED.

My gut was actually telling me the advisor was a flake and I jumped in with Sunbeam because I liked their products.

That was the last time I took advice from a "professional" ( company shill ) and I've done much better.

But I've been out of the market for years now and am looking to reinvest. Just starting to dip my toes. I'd rather be back running cattle.

From my experience anybody that says "buy and hold" is someone to be avoided.

Know Your Customer-normally it's a selfie of you holding your DL or passport. You also have to set up a 2FA, which is a 2 factor Identification before you take anything out so no one else can get into your account.

I got a great lesson in following advice with the very first stock I ever bought. I was new to the whole thing and had accumulated quite a nest egg, contacted a financial advisor with a well known company, and he gave me a list of stocks he said he had researched and would recommend. Sunbeam was at the top of that list and I watched it for a month before buying.

The VERY NEXT DAY there was an article that came out in a financial magazine that said Sunbeam's CEO was the most over-rated CEO in the country... and the stock TANKED.

My gut was actually telling me the advisor was a flake and I jumped in with Sunbeam because I liked their products.

That was the last time I took advice from a "professional" ( company shill ) and I've done much better.

But I've been out of the market for years now and am looking to reinvest. Just starting to dip my toes. I'd rather be back running cattle.

From my experience anybody that says "buy and hold" is someone to be avoided.
Interesting. Our banker says not to buy and sell because the investment person makes a commission every time we do. Our investment person will advise me if he makes a commission or if we can sell something that he doesn't make a commission on. I appreciate that, maybe it's a law he has to do that, I don't know for sure.

What it was that made the 200% gain was a growth stock. AMAT. Not sure what to do now. They tell me you haven't lost anything until you sell...It doesn't have a dividend that amounts to anything, so there's that. If we sell it, then we pay taxes on the gain. It's pretty complicated, really. A balancing act. Mr. FH doesn't like the stock market so we don't have much in it, whether that's good or bad.

Well yeah...65% of the stocks don't need a correction...but when things go bust, all stocks are involved....people will flock out of those FAANG stocks after seeing daily 20..30..40...50% in the red drops...they'll take what they can. You see the Big Boys are controlling all stocks...when they sell...and there's no buyers...it'll crater like a rock. Remember the 1999 peak/2001 crash correction....then the 2007 crash correction...those were big numbers and now, today were long overdue. Re-check your P/E ratios on your favorite companies...they should be around 5 to 12 is good...but beyond 15, risky....no good. There's tons of "quote" good companies people love that have P/E ratios of 30 to 100 even 200 or more...ouch!!! It's what i do for a living...I'm an investor...FAANG's will drop like a rock when the massive correction occurs. It's toppy right now...trading sideways this year 2022.....not going anywhere...so sell out now, stay safe!!! Go into unloved assets during this inflationary period. Trust me...You don't want to be where the crowds are....with overinflated P/E ratios. DYOD...don't listen to me. I do well staying away from the crowds....buying depressed value stocks where everyone already took a beating.
What are some 'unloved assets' if you don't mind saying? I want to make some changes and finding this out could help to know what to do.
Anyway, I would know enough to at least ask.

It's raining. YAY!!

Since I had time this morning, I looked up some P/E ratios.
Here is what I found on some I was curious about.
(I'm trying to learn something). They vary by quite a bit.

BMZ 3.7
NRZ 6.86
BMY 10.08
PFE 11.43
SCCO 14.11
Marathon Oil 15.15
AMAT 15.75
JNJ 18.37
UNH 28.01
Vanguard 35.18
Disney 39.72

Not sure what all this means, but I am interested in finding out.
I believe it was Texas Rancher that posted 12 is good, 15+ is too risky.
I realize this isn't the whole picture, but it is interesting.
Please feel free to comment.

It's raining. YAY!!

BMZ 3.7
NRZ 6.86
BMY 10.08
PFE 11.43
SCCO 14.11
Marathon Oil 15.15
AMAT 15.75
JNJ 18.37
UNH 28.01
Vanguard 35.18
Disney 39.72

Careful with PE ratios. They can be value traps. PEG is also worth looking at as it factors in growth over 5 years but is speculative by nature. In other words you're assuming consistent growth over 5 years. Hard to do in a shaky economy with an incompetent administration.

Careful with PE ratios. They can be value traps. PEG is also worth looking at as it factors in growth over 5 years but is speculative by nature. In other words you're assuming consistent growth over 5 years. Hard to do in a shaky economy with an incompetent administration.
Thank you! Numbers tend to fascinate me, they usually tell a story. I had fun looking at the difference, if nothing else.

I just bought NRZ and ABBV, so we shall see how that plays out.
This has been a most interesting thread.

Interesting. Our banker says not to buy and sell because the investment person makes a commission every time we do. Our investment person will advise me if he makes a commission or if we can sell something that he doesn't make a commission on. I appreciate that, maybe it's a law he has to do that, I don't know for sure.

What it was that made the 200% gain was a growth stock. AMAT. Not sure what to do now. They tell me you haven't lost anything until you sell...It doesn't have a dividend that amounts to anything, so there's that. If we sell it, then we pay taxes on the gain. It's pretty complicated, really. A balancing act. Mr. FH doesn't like the stock market so we don't have much in it, whether that's good or bad.
Ya know... every time Walmart sells you a ridiculously profitable product they have found ways to buy it for less money first to stock their shelves... That's a cost of doing business. They don't stop making money because they have to spend money to restock their shelves.

Besides... you can find places where you can buy and sell by yourself for minimal cost... and use your "investment person" to find numbers or stats that are important to you. They are getting paid to answer your questions, but that doesn't mean you have to take their advice. You can milk them for knowledge and make your own decisions.

And worry about the taxes on the gain is self-defeating too. It's also a cost of doing business. If I could make 200% and pay 10% in taxes on the profit I would avoid it if I could... but I would be buying and selling everyday and making money while I was complaining.

Is your banker or Investment Person getting rich taking their own advice?

Thank you! Numbers tend to fascinate me, they usually tell a story. I had fun looking at the difference, if nothing else.

Usually a good idea to look at a companies balance sheet too. They can be hard to read but you can tell if cash flow is increasing or see what the debt trend is.

Have any of you had experience with "Robin Hood". I'm not talking about the guy that lived in the forest. But a
young guy/co-worker introduced me to it. A place on-line you set up an account, you can buy/sell stocks. You manage your
own investments, do your own buying and selling, no fees. This young guy has done pretty well, mostly with penny stocks.
I haven't quite convinced myself try this route.

PPT?

FAANG?
PPT Plunge Protection Team...an actual real entity (bankers hired to purchase stocks) that upholds and props up the the market (makes it synthetic, not free trade) with QE monies.
Faang..are U.S. technology giant stocks...usually referred to as the big five, plus more... Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and Google

I'd like to know what those are as well.
We had a growth stock, it did 1200%. I wanted to sell it. Our investor said we still have it on a buy and didn't think we should sell it.
It was up to $167/share, it's $114 a share now. I should have gone with my gut.
I'm not a fan of Faang stocks as they are over-priced, lousy P/E ration and purchased by everyone...not going with the herd to be culled.

Okay. Give me an example of a good buy right now. I get your logic but wonder if you would ever buy growth
Like i said before...right now...95% of the stock market is ripe for correction...their aren't any good stocks to buy that are undervalued bargains...now is the time to exit...take your gains and sit on the sidelines. Absolutely love growth stocks once they're corrected back to reasonable P/E ratio performance...that's why i'm patiently waiting for a market correction. I sold out my oil stocks and natural gas stocks...did well. The only stocks i hold today (mostly sidelined money) are the unloved senior and junior miner stocks...every dog will has it's day...and when miners rise due to inflation/money printing...I'll be there to collect gains. Warren Buffets words ring true..."the stock market takes money away from the impatient and gives it to the patient." The more patient i am (staying away and out of the herd)...the better i am rewarded.

It's raining. YAY!!

BMZ 3.7
NRZ 6.86
BMY 10.08
PFE 11.43
SCCO 14.11
Marathon Oil 15.15
AMAT 15.75
JNJ 18.37
UNH 28.01
Vanguard 35.18
Disney 39.72

BMZ to JNJ all are safe... even JNJ @ 18 are ok..safe...JNJ might have a bit to lose but dividends are safe and they are secure. UHC, vanguard overpriced...definitely wait for correction. Disney is dangerous (lots of bad publicity & poor treatment of workers) costing you 40 times their earnings. DYOD, I'm not a investment advisor....i just want to play smart and safe with my hard earned money.

Have any of you had experience with "Robin Hood". I'm not talking about the guy that lived in the forest. But a
young guy/co-worker introduced me to it. A place on-line you set up an account, you can buy/sell stocks. You manage your
own investments, do your own buying and selling, no fees. This young guy has done pretty well, mostly with penny stocks.
I haven't quite convinced myself try this route.
Robin hood was the first site to offer free trading..after which it FORCED all the other professional brokerages to follow....w/ free trades too. Thank you Robin hood. I don't use robin hood...i like and use "E-Trade"'s platform and advice/set-up better.
Penny stocks ARE very dangerous...for first timers...go for "indexed funds"...if you are that rabbit that secures $120,000. with $20,000. dollars input...you will be that same rabbit that loses your $120,000. down to $8,000. Best to be the patient hare...go for dividend stocks (utilities) that are valued under 20 P/E ratio...or set it for "index" small cap or large cap. There's no free lunch...that young guy that did pretty well...will never tell you about his other horror stories of losing $80,000.

NRZ...i like that one...nice numbers solid company with great dividend---NRZ is going to go up and dividend is great even if it never goes higher than $11 or $12 in the next two years. ABBV, might be ok...i wouldn't touch it...for two reasons...it's valuation is high right now...peaking on chart and has a PE ratio of over 24...pricey could go to $160 but could fall as easily to $120.
Faster Horses...something to think about...what fun is it to own a $100. stock that goes up and down to $80 and $120. ....but you have to admit the $5. to $10. stock with strong possibility of going to $20 or $30 is so much more fun exciting rewarding.....NRZ @ $10. is so much more fun than ABBV @$150 don't you think?

Latest posts