Countyline stock tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I bought a handful of stock tanks less than 3 years ago, different sizes and all of them are just fine but one.
my 300 gallon tank just started rusting and I can't figure out why.
all the other tanks that are hooked to the same water line are fine.
I pulled it out of service.
I guess the galvanizing just gave up on it ??

Attachments

• IMG_20230625_092129417_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 45
Has it been empty for a while? It seems to me that they dont hold up as well if empty.
But it doesn't look like tge galvanizing has held up very good at all.

I bought a handful of stock tanks less than 3 years ago, different sizes and all of them are just fine but one.
my 300 gallon tank just started rusting and I can't figure out why.
all the other tanks that are hooked to the same water line are fine.
I pulled it out of service.
I guess the galvanizing just gave up on it ??
You can get galvanizing paint. Might want to do some serious rust removal before using it.

I think some kind of chemical got in it that floats. Funny how it's rusted right at the water line.

Nevermind... looked at the pic closer. May just be a bad galvanized job or clean job before galvanize went on. It's the gamble we take with cheap, mass produced products.

What about going to a poly, plastic, rubber type tank? Theyd last about forever.

Do ya move these?
No I don't move them and had considered getting the black poly tanks but I have many of the stock tanks and this is the only one that did it, all bought at the same time, all connected to the same water supply.
It was okay for a couple years and one day I looked in there and it was just bleeding rust.

You can get galvanizing paint. Might want to do some serious rust removal before using it.
Cold zinc galvanizing paint works great for a lot of things but it leaves a powdery residue that I was concerned might come off in the water even if I washed it after the paint dried.
I sanded it down yesterday gave it two coats of primer and I'm going to paint it with epoxy.

Not sure how electrolysis could touch the tank as it sits on wood and touches nothing else the water line is a rubber garden hose connection.
Within the tank, the water being the medium and maybe a fitting such as drain plug, inlet valve being the other dissimilar metal???? The rust marks around the waterline and then the even vertical lines around it seems unusual to me like something is removing the protective coating. If a tub rusts out it usually starts at one point like a seem and works out from there. A stray current from an electric fence or something similar could contribute. Just my thoughts.

Ken

No I don't move them and had considered getting the black poly tanks but I have many of the stock tanks and this is the only one that did it, all bought at the same time, all connected to the same water supply.
It was okay for a couple years and one day I looked in there and it was just bleeding rust.
Definitely make ya curious as to why.

Within the tank, the water being the medium and maybe a fitting such as drain plug, inlet valve being the other dissimilar metal???? The rust marks around the waterline and then the even vertical lines around it seems unusual to me like something is removing the protective coating. If a tub rusts out it usually starts at one point like a seem and works out from there. A stray current from an electric fence or something similar could contribute. Just my thoughts.

Ken
There's nothing even close to that tank that has electricity, there's no dissimilar metals to contribute to galvanic corrosion through electrolysis.
I honestly think that the galvanizing just gave up. But I was shocked that it happened in less than 3 years.

5 years ago I'd probably just thrown it away or make my wife a garden and buy a new one.... but those things are over $400 now, so I'm just going to fix it.
I bought 6 or so 100 to 200 gallon poly tanks a couple years ago from a guy who had sold out. Got them for $30 a piece I think. You'll find a deal somewhere if you're patient.

I just can't justify buying anything new now. Everything's been used. From feeders to chute. Even used gates and panels. Have I said that I'm cheap? 😆

I bought 6 or so 100 to 200 gallon poly tanks a couple years ago from a guy who had sold out. Got them for $30 a piece I think. You'll find a deal somewhere if you're patient.

I just can't justify buying anything new now. Everything's been used. From feeders to chute. Even used gates and panels. Have I said that I'm cheap? 😆
If cheap gets the job done it's not just cheap, it's smart. I've never been one to buy just so I can brag about how much money I can spend...