Stirring the pot on the LH/corriente topic

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, look at it from the poor cattleman's prospective. Buy colored cows and put a black bull on them:). I love RWF mommas. They are pretty. And they can have black calves.

At least it gives the little guy a way in, is all I'm saying.

I am looking at it from the perspective of every cattleman that is struggling to pay their bills. I like RWF mammas too... and also RWF steers that should be bringing the same prices as anything else.

The thread has taken a new life and various topics. What has always puzzled me is that one breed association can successfully launch a market changing campaign and there has never been another association that can compete. Is there an answer what the other breeds didn't jump in quicker or don't "save their breed (color)" now?

If CAB disappeared today, there would still be a premium for prime beef of adequate portion size. So CAB alone does not make the meat more valuable but it throttles down the marketing and value of prime meat from other cattle.

Profit is made, on anything, from the last dollars earned rather than the first income. Shaving off the premiums of quality calves or the unfair hide color seal is removing potential profit. I don't care how cheap you buy off type cows - the profit is made on the marketing of the calves and the salvage value of the spent cows.

The SE USA has had a long image of a source of low value beef calves. It was legitimate for some calves and they were dairy crossed, had to make do on sorry pastures, were mineral deficient from poor mineral supplementation, weaned at the barn, poorly vaccinated, if vaccinated,... The price dock was real and is likely still real but might be more of a transportation cost now rather than quality issues on good calves. All of this junk cow, hide the breed, Scooter and Skippy talk, gather them from kudzu, trick the buyers or whatever really brings back up the reason that SE USA calves can still be seen as lesser. We worked hard to have decent animals and calves that buyers will pay for with profitable per pound or per head prices. I do value added to make it even more worthwhile. This is why I despise the junk cow push. Same old same old to keep the image of the regional cattle tarnished.

I am looking at it from the perspective of every cattleman that is struggling to pay their bills. I like RWF mammas too... and also RWF steers that should be bringing the same prices as anything else.
Got same price for my rwf that lost her calf. They saw she was good looking and in good flesh, frame size was same as the blacks, and price per pound ended up same, So I think that's getting better.

The thread has taken a new life and various topics. What has always puzzled me is that one breed association can successfully launch a market changing campaign and there has never been another association that can compete. Is there an answer what the other breeds didn't jump in quicker or don't "save their breed (color)" now?

If CAB disappeared today, there would still be a premium for prime beef of adequate portion size. So CAB alone does not make the meat more valuable but it throttles down the marketing and value of prime meat from other cattle.

Profit is made, on anything, from the last dollars earned rather than the first income. Shaving off the premiums of quality calves or the unfair hide color seal is removing potential profit. I don't care how cheap you buy off type cows - the profit is made on the marketing of the calves and the salvage value of the spent cows.

The SE USA has had a long image of a source of low value beef calves. It was legitimate for some calves and they were dairy crossed, had to make do on sorry pastures, were mineral deficient from poor mineral supplementation, weaned at the barn, poorly vaccinated, if vaccinated,... The price dock was real and is likely still real but might be more of a transportation cost now rather than quality issues on good calves. All of this junk cow, hide the breed, Scooter and Skippy talk, gather them from kudzu, trick the buyers or whatever really brings back up the reason that SE USA calves can still be seen as lesser. We worked hard to have decent animals and calves that buyers will pay for with profitable per pound or per head prices. I do value added to make it even more worthwhile. This is why I despise the junk cow push. Same old same old to keep the image of the regional cattle tarnished.
But it kind of misses the natural advantage of the corn belt. It's not the south's fault they can grow higher quality feed that can get fed cheaply with no transport cost. Corn don't grow on my place. And it was 106F all July and august. Those two environmental reasons are why we can't compete with those higher grading herds up north . If we have the same input opportunities, we'd catch them in 10 years. But the south doesn't profitably grow cattle like that in most places. Yeah, maybe with a pivot or in certain microclimates, but most land needs the cheaper cows to produce profit.

The southeast produces a lot of chickens that don't eat grass, but eat lots of corn and soybean meal their entire life. Lots of that feed shipped in by rail from the corn belt. Northwestern states are mostly ranked lower than southern states in corn production, but seem to see better prices on calves. Just seems to me that there is more to the story on prices for the southeast calves than distance from corn belt.

a lot of the discounts here aint so much the quality anymore..a lot of better quality animals now,.averarage herd 25 head calve year round. majority are loaded up 2 or 3 at a time no uniform groups, no backgrounding or preconditioning.. then they get hit on the intact bulls that will have to be casterated and and vaccinated and quarantined do to added stress not to mention the weight loss coming right off Moma those buyers deal with..pretty much in the buyers minds, it's gonna cost me so much to get calf to where It needs to be..so I'm passing all that cost on to the seller with the discounts

@simme @Ebenezer yall both bring up some good points.
I've often questioned a lot of things that get told about why the regional price difference and have heard every example y'all gave as reasons.
I've seen a lot of changes over the years since I was young, in the cattle around here in KY.
It used to be most all calves were not weaned until they left on the truck to go to the stockyards, and no vaccinations. Back then 70's and 80's weaning weights were around 400 lbs. As much as I hate to say it because I love KY and the southeast states, but there was more so then than now a tendency to be a little behind the times at least in KY. Even into the early 90's you'd still see some herds of 900 or so pound Angus and Hereford cows and bulls maybe 1200 or around 1500 at the most for mature bulls.
But the continental influence was changing that at that time.
Another thing is few people back then had good working facilities.
The tobacco settlement money cost share programs did a lot to improve genetics and infrastructure. Of course some were doing it in their own too.
The extension and cattlemens meetings were recommending herd health vaccination programs and promoting weaning and backgrounding to f calves before marketing.
By now there are quite a few farmers that are meticulously following BQA guidelines and vaccination protocols. Genetics have also gotten more mainstream too. I'd venture to say average weaning weights are around 550 now.
Even though a majority are doing the value added stuff there's still some that don't and still a few that probably say they do but don't.
We've bought calves that were supposed to have been weaned and vaccinated per a certain type of sale and some were not.
I believe for the most part it's a regional stereotype that still persists.
I think if more people retained ownership through feeding out we might learn a few more details to get to the bottom of what's really at play.
Right now as cow calf producers we just market our calves and the knowledge ends there. Anything else that's told of beyond our farms we don't know for sure, all we have to go on is what little broad term talk that goes around.

a lot of the discounts here aint so much the quality anymore..a lot of better quality animals now,.averarage herd 25 head calve year round. majority are loaded up 2 or 3 at a time no uniform groups, no backgrounding or preconditioning.. then they get hit on the intact bulls that will have to be casterated and and vaccinated and quarantined do to added stress not to mention the weight loss coming right off Moma those buyers deal with..pretty much in the buyers minds, it's gonna cost me so much to get calf to where It needs to be..so I'm passing all that cost on to the seller with the discounts
Also tack on the fact that a big majority of the calves coming in are carrying either some ear, or some roping blood. Maybe even both. They have to have it. I know one reason cattle needing to have ear is the heat, but I also believe they need it because of our management style of low input which winds back around to no cheap feed being available.

Did you look at the article? It has a picture and some data on a simangus x holstein. Does not look that bad. Holsteins have very good marbling. An animal that meets the carcass data requirements of CAB is going to be good eating. Cull dairy cows go to slaughter along with true beef cows. What do you see wrong with this steer?
Is that steer representative of all dairy x beef? I don't know.

View attachment 39162
That animal looks like good eating to me. Although it doesn't qualify for CAB

@simme @Ebenezer yall both bring up some good points.
I've often questioned a lot of things that get told about why the regional price difference and have heard every example y'all gave as reasons.
I've seen a lot of changes over the years since I was young, in the cattle around here in KY.
It used to be most all calves were not weaned until they left on the truck to go to the stockyards, and no vaccinations. Back then 70's and 80's weaning weights were around 400 lbs. As much as I hate to say it because I love KY and the southeast states, but there was more so then than now a tendency to be a little behind the times at least in KY. Even into the early 90's you'd still see some herds of 900 or so pound Angus and Hereford cows and bulls maybe 1200 or around 1500 at the most for mature bulls.
But the continental influence was changing that at that time.
Another thing is few people back then had good working facilities.
The tobacco settlement money cost share programs did a lot to improve genetics and infrastructure. Of course some were doing it in their own too.
The extension and cattlemens meetings were recommending herd health vaccination programs and promoting weaning and backgrounding to f calves before marketing.
By now there are quite a few farmers that are meticulously following BQA guidelines and vaccination protocols. Genetics have also gotten more mainstream too. I'd venture to say average weaning weights are around 550 now.
Even though a majority are doing the value added stuff there's still some that don't and still a few that probably say they do but don't.
We've bought calves that were supposed to have been weaned and vaccinated per a certain type of sale and some were not.
I believe for the most part it's a regional stereotype that still persists.
I think if more people retained ownership through feeding out we might learn a few more details to get to the bottom of what's really at play.
Right now as cow calf producers we just market our calves and the knowledge ends there. Anything else that's told of beyond our farms we don't know for sure, all we have to go on is what little broad term talk that goes around.
All of my life, going to the local cattle sales, what you said was true, and still is,, about people trailer weaning 400 lb calves ( these days more like 500 lbs), and carrying them 1 - 10 at a time...whatever the pickup truck with cattle racks, or a 16' stock trailer would hold. I guess one could have done the weaning and conditioning and vaccinating, etc, but there was never, and is still never, any "buyers" rolling up in 18 wheelers to buy "pot loads" of calves to carry to the mid-west feed lots. But, the biggest sale every week in north Ga was (it is closed now) the one in Bartow County on Saturday. It had 4 owners..one was the high school ag teacher, I forgot what the 2nd partner did, and the other two owners had the big cattle trucks...like F750 size, and they would buy the bulk of these calves. They'd have the vet that had to be at each sale back then, to do Bangs tests...to "work" these calves. that night or Sunday morning. Castrating, de-horning, worming vaccination etc. They'd then carry them back to their farms, and there they would condition them, and grow them to the optimum size for the feed lot markets at that time. When they had a "potload" ready to go, the buyers with the 18 wheelers came to their place to buy them. Or some people sent them to the western feed lots themselves, and fed them out, then sold them. The owner of the Wednesday sale in Rome, and the Monday sale in Carrollton, did the same thing. And they went to each other's sales as well. Of course they all wanted the best calves for their operation, and bid pretty heavily against each other til they had their truck loads bought. If a farmer brought in a steer, that had been 90 days weaned, conditioned, vaccinated etc, they wouldn't bring much more than the trailer weaned, un-vaccinated bull calves. There was nothing left to do to them to make money on.
Now, when those people like the sale barn owners sent these conditioned calves west, they were every bit as good, most better, and brought as much or more, than any from other areas where the producers did all of this themselves. Every tract of open land back then, that wasn't a dairy ( 1990 we still had 39 dairies in the county, and 2001 the last one shut down.) was in cotton til the early 70's when beans took over. In the last 10-15 years, cotton started showing up again, and about the same amount of both are raised now. 90% of that land today in counties along the I-75 now, are sub-divisions, malls, or manufacturing plants. Most of the larger cattle producers were and are, retired cotton and bean farmers. (A few are business owners or doctors, lawyers etc,) When they got ready to quit farming, they'd fence in their land, sow grass, sell all of their equipment except 1 or 2 of their smaller 100 horse or so tractors, and bought round balers, conditioners, rakes. etc. Gold Kist Co-Ops would come and fertilize their pastures and hayfields. Raising calves til weaning, ,and taking them to the sale, was a lot less work than raising beans, and especially cotton. Fertilizer and lime, baling twine and fuel, was about all the expense there was/is. No way in hell you could have convinced them to put some of that land back into corn, and feed out calves to get a few cents more a lb, after the work and expense of feeding them for 3 months. It just wouldn't pencil out. Still won't. The space for a conditioning lot or growing replacement heifers, is better utilized by buying more cows to wean and sell calves off of in 6 months.

I remember when I was a boy, asking my grandpa why we didn't keep a calf or two, and raise our own beef. He said " Hell naw, I'd rather take them to the sell and stop by Wynn Dixie, take part of that sale barn check and just buy me some T-bones." He was the same way about raising replacement heifers. He would sell them at weaning, and when we needed another cow,, we'd buy one the day we hauled the calves.

Anytime we bought cows, or pairs, we'd pay for them, take the receipt over to the vet, and he'd get them out of the pens, and work them. Giving them the vaccinations, worming them, and we'd always get him to give them a preventative pennicillin shot, in case they had picked up something at the sale barn. And the same if we had bought pairs, including steering the calves. That is the one thing we did do with the bull claves we raised...we'd steer them before they went to the sale. Most everyone else did too, so every cow that left that sale had the exact same thing as any other cow you bought off any "full service producer" in other parts of the country.

The vet's station was right by the pen where they unloaded your sales cattle and tagged them. That pen opened into the vet pen. If you had cows you were selling by the head, you'd stop and tell him to sleeve the cows that were about to come through for the Bangs test, and he'd mark the months bred on them, if they were bred.

I spend a lot of time each week, watching online auctions form al over the country., From the east, the west, and all points in between. I watch a couple from KY, one from Tenn, 1 from Ga, 1 from VA, 1 from SC, 1 from NC, and one from Ala. Moving over a little, 2 from Arkansas and 3 from Missouri. . From there, midwestern sales in Oklahoma, Nebraska, S Dakota, N Dakota, and Minn. Further west, some in Texas, one in Arizona, 1 in New Mexico, and a southern Cali and a northern Cali sale. I watch mostly the head cattle, cows and bred heifers sell, because that is what I will be looking for, for some of my clients. I know about what time of day those type start selling ay each one, but sometimes I watch weigh calves sell, too, while I am waiting. The weigh cattle, steers and heifers that I see in the south eastern sales, are every bit as good quality if not better, than any I see anywhere else in the country. Yes, they bring less per pound than other areas, for the reasons you and I have stated, but it dang sure ain't from the lack of quality animals. Highest prices across the spectrum.... be they cows., bulls, steers, or heifers, are at the MO sales, with the Arkansas close behind. This is the part of the country to SELL at. I see some quality cows in both of these auctions, and if I wanted to get some out side of our part of the country, I'd buy there. Price is why I usually don't. They do sell more "cull" cows than at the SE sales, and the further west you go the higher percentage of the cows sold are NOT what I would buy. So, quality is definitely not an issue in SE cattle, to include Arkansas and MO.

So, quality is definitely not an issue in SE cattle, to include Arkansas and MO.
I know this is another long posts, but I have been thinking about your points all day. And, I have to just type a little at a time, and come back. This cold weather is playing heck with the arthritis in my hands. But I have been thinking about the things you said, and thinking about that boy I have been buying Red Angus and red Brangus cows, and the Black Hereford and bwf Simm bull for, to arise his reverse black baldies with. He is the one whose family has raised cotton and beans on since before I was born. This year his grandaddy had to quit, and his daddy and uncles wanted nothing to do with row crops. Neither does he...he works a full time job. So, he sold the cotton pickers, combines, big plows, planters, all but one of the 18 wheelers they had to pull the dump trailers for beans and the low-boys ( except one) to haul the equipment on. He took that money and built perimeter fences around the place, and is using it to buy the cows with. Sold all the big 8 wheel articulating tractors and kept two 80-100 hp for doing hay.
I then spent time online, pricing out used cornpickers, and buying back the plows and planters, etc, and priced out a silo for the corn. Then figured the cost for setting up a feed lot with troughs and water. And, he would need a truck or pull behind feeding apparatus. Figured he would lose about 25 acres of pasture for the weaning and feed lots, and about 75 acres of pasture and/or hayfield. He would have to reduce the number of the 250 brood cows he was planning on having, by maybe 100? Feeding these calves...what... 90-120 days? 3 or 4 months longer than selling them at weaning? Even if they brought 30 cents, or even 50 cents a pound more as Added Value Calves, I don't see how he'd ever make up the difference in what doing this would cost him in my lifetime. And that was amortizing the infrastructure over 15 years.

Then again, for what it would cost him in losing the pasture and hay acreage, the cost of buying back the equipment to raise corn, etc, he could buy a whole lot of bulk feed. But, unless everyone around started doing that too, so that it would bring the big pot load buyers to the sales, would it make him anymore money? Or would he make any money, doing this and shipping them further west where these buyers are?

Last edited:
Butcher cows are only graded by flesh type and priced accordingly.
She was less than 3yo. Thought that made her exportable or something like that that can raise the price. But there was a skunk looking heifer calf they sorted off of some blacks in San Angelo yesterday. I immediately thought they were going to discount her, bit the buyers ended up paying more.

I still feel like that problem is getting better in central Texas. Really about frame size and how thick the cattle are looking around here, I think.

I'll ask if I buy any more cattle in Feb/March and see what the real buyers think.

Latest posts