Stirring the pot on the LH/corriente topic

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is a calf that come out of one of my cows I call lineback. If it was not for the fact that I got then so cheap I would not have bought them, and also at that time I was trying to maximize my spending dollar. Now I am trying to buy better quality stock. I still have two of the four linebacks I bought. I not really sure what breed or breeds they are; they do have scurs for horns.

20240104_091521.jpg

20240104_091532.jpg

20240104_091812.jpg

Here is a calf that come out of one of my cows I call lineback. If it was not for the fact that I got then so cheap I would not have bought them, and also at that time I was trying to maximize my spending dollar. Now I am trying to buy better quality stock. I still have two of the four linebacks I bought. I not really sure what breed or breeds they are; they do have scurs for horns.

View attachment 39035

View attachment 39036

View attachment 39037
I've had several criollo/beef crosses colored like that.

That is basically the same color pattern I get from my part Corrientes. Crossed with Black Angus they have the black/white, Red Angus they were red/white and from the Murray Grey either black/white or grey/white. At the sale barn they sell them as Pinzgauer not matter what I tell them.

$3,050.00 for all.
I will breed them to a red angus bull, if they're like the two on my other place, they could be bred back already?

Would love to know what the calves weigh and sell for when you market them. That might put some things to rest.

I'm also interested to see if they breed back as easy as everyone says. Putting Angus back on them seems like a good idea. If you keep those heifers, the calves out of them would have really nice genetic diversity, obviously.

That is basically the same color pattern I get from my part Corrientes. Crossed with Black Angus they have the black/white, Red Angus they were red/white and from the Murray Grey either black/white or grey/white. At the sale barn they sell them as Pinzgauer not matter what I tell them.
Similar deal happened to me when I sold my big Red Angus bull that had a small bit of sheath. I checked with the guy that sold him to me, even asked other people around town to make sure everything was as presented. He really was over 90% red angus. But that family had been developing their own herd for a good long while. He didn't look like everyone else's red angus, so they wanted to call him a beefmaster at the auction until I reminded the auctioneer He wasn't. Don't think the buyer believed he was, Red Angus, though either.

Even on here everyone said he looked like a beefmaster. But his calves weighed 65 lbs and all look like Red Angus calves with little sheath, so go figure.

I think that goes back to if you have a reputation for Angus cattle, buys often will pay you the top price. But if you don't have that reputation, my suspicion is you actually get docked a bit even if they think your cattle are angus, because they are averaging back in a discount for all the cattle that look CAB but aren't.

@BFE, good job stirring the pot, we're now 17 pages and 322 replies into this deal :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. I've noticed most of the LH/corriente threads are long like this though.
My imagination on @BFE starting this post is that he had a great year, realized he could market all of his calves, culls, and older bulls at astronomical prices, sold them at market and got better prices than he even expected, got home and realized he had less to do than normal because his herd numbers are low and he has a lot of money in the bank, got bored, got up and went back out and headed to the store and bought some $150 Scotch, got back home, sat down on the porch, had a big glass, and then said, "Oh well, what the hey, I don't have anything better to do…"

View attachment 39035

View attachment 39036

View attachment 39037
Round here we'd immediately think that had what we call Holstein in it. Something in my psychology immediately shies away from anything Holstein or shorthorn. I even don't like the Beefmasters that have multicolored patterns. It's why I don't want any, even though they seem to have a good reputation as mommas.

Round here we'd immediately think that had what we call Holstein in it. Something in my psychology immediately shies away from anything Holstein or shorthorn. I even don't like the Beefmasters that have multicolored patterns. It's why I don't want any, even though they seem to have a good reputation as mommas.
Well, like a lot of breeds, they now have Black Beefmasters! LOL! BM is ( supposed to be) 50% brahma, 25% shorthorn, and 25% Hereford. So, where does the black come from? :)

Pinzgauer cattle get discounted terrible here.... yet the ones I had years ago were very good dispositioned and very fertile... but you took a beating at the stockyard....
I was told by a buyer that they do good in small operations. But in the feedlots they have no heart and die really easy. That is the reason he gave me why they avoid them.

Pinzgauer cattle get discounted terrible here.... yet the ones I had years ago were very good dispositioned and very fertile... but you took a beating at the stockyard....
They showed up about 1973 around here, and were a hot ticket item til about 78 or so. But this was pre-CAB. My grandaddy bought 4...3 red and 1 black. He always had angus bulls. The calves wouldn't have as much white as their mommas, just a white face and that dorsal stripe. Didn't really hurt back then...color didn't matter much in weigh calves back then.

Thanks for finally coming to your senses about the color doc.
I have family that's been in the packing house business as long as I can remember, and I have butchered calves for my use from all breeds, CAB is a marketing strategy, my kin will tell you other breeds grade as good or better than angus, the way you can really tell this is a fraud is they wouldn't let red angus as CAB until recently, they are the same except for the hide color?
I think it's not right other good breeds of cattle get docked because of the color of their hide.
How many different breeds do they grade as CAB?
We will never know.

My imagination on @BFE starting this post is that he had a great year, realized he could market all of his calves, culls, and older bulls at astronomical prices, sold them at market and got better prices than he even expected, got home and realized he had less to do than normal because his herd numbers are low and he has a lot of money in the bank, got bored, got up and went back out and headed to the store and bought some $150 Scotch, got back home, sat down on the porch, had a big glass, and then said, "Oh well, what the hey, I don't have anything better to do…"
If there's a $150 dollar bottle of whiskey on this farm, it's because someone else brought it over. Distillers Pride is top shelf around here!

I have family that's been in the packing house business as long as I can remember, and I have butchered calves for my use from all breeds, CAB is a marketing strategy, my kin will tell you other breeds grade as good or better than angus, the way you can really tell this is a fraud is they wouldn't let red angus as CAB until recently, they are the same except for the hide color?
I think it's not right other good breeds of cattle get docked because of the color of their hide.
How many different breeds do they grade as CAB?
We will never know.
Well, there are about 38 USDA angus beef programs. CAB is the most successful, and was created by the American Angus Association...the registry for black angus in the US. Red Angus are not registered with AAA in the US...they have their own red angus association here. So of course, none of the angus programs wanted to include red angus....AAA certainly would have no business using their association members' money to promote another breed of cattle. Nothing fraudulent about it. Prior to the launch of CAB, no other breed of beef cattle were black. Black beef cattle were Angus or part Angus. And the sole purpose of CAB, was to promote using black Angus bulls and/or cows in you operation. Nothing fraudulent about that. If you like Red Hereford cows, then use registered black angus bulls, and you get black calves that qualify for CAB. You think a Limousine or Gelbiev bull is the cat's meow? No problem, get some registered black Angus cows to put them on. You will get calves that qualify for CAB. It was idiots in other breeds that did not grasp the concept, that caused them to destroy the genetics of their breed, and turn them all into part Angus crosses. Instead of selecting for red & white Simm cows, that would add size and marbling to the black calves sired by Angus bulls, the breeders just polluted the gene pool with Angus DNA. Instead of selecting for the red Limousine or Gelbeiv bulls that would add REA to your Angus calves, the breeders diluted their gene pool with Angus DNA.

Lastly, there is no "dock" for non-black calves. In say, 1979, before CAB, a steer that graded USDA Prime brought $2 lb, In 1980 ( not sure of these dates, but that is immaterial to this analogy) USDA Prime still was $2 a lb. However Prime from a black steer that met all of the other requirements, brought $2.50. Other Prime still brought $2. The others were NOT docked, they just didn't qualify for the CAB premium. There are people that think that IF the CAB and the other Angus programs magically disappeared, that their off-color calves would bring more! CAB qualifying steers sell for $3 a lb today, and red, white, etc, steers sell for $2.80. What these dummies don't realize is, that getting rid of CAB is NOT going to make their red or white calves bring $3. It will make their black ones only bring the $2.80.

Another Angus program has submitted proposed criteria to the USDA to draw up guidelines to certify red angus beef, but it wasn't CAB that did.

I resent having to go black to get the top price, but Warren may have a point here.
No CAB and black calves bring less than they do currently, colored calves a little more, and the average about where it is now?

Latest posts