Still Waiting for Rain in Central Texas. (much-pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Dcarp, pretty much same story here, I stretched pastures all summer by supplementing with hay. October and November gave us enough rain get the oats started. Ryegrass and clovers in the pastures have tried to start at least 3 times already. Don't know if we have anything left to sprout if it did start raining. Tanks aren't as low as they were in '96 (which I find a bit strange since we were dry for a shorter period and didn't have the high winds we have this time) but I have well water to water too. Lots of folks rely on tanks and are running out. Starting to have a hard time being very optimistic. Best of luck to you.

Man I sure wish y'all could get some rain. I know how discouraging that is. I've watched lots of crops go away because of no rain. It has gotten to the point here we have to water everything and we still get 50" of rain a year but not when we need it.

TexLonghornRanch":mqijv3uu said:
Will work for food..... Oops! I mean.... will trade cows for rain! CB you send me a load of rain, I will send you a load of broken mouth cows! (evil grin)

:lol:

Doesn't sound like a bad deal as I have the grass and hay for them, I am still working on how to get a thunderstorm loaded on the trailer.

Todays 10-day forecast has put a chance of showers in for Friday and scattered thunderstorms for Monday and a few showers for Tuesday. Looks a lot better than the sunny and partly cloudy that has been the standard forecast. Now we will see if it actually delivers. Temperature range is supposed to be 80F for the high and 34F for the low.

1982vett":pn857iz1 said:
Todays 10-day forecast has put a chance of showers in for Friday and scattered thunderstorms for Monday and a few showers for Tuesday. Looks a lot better than the sunny and partly cloudy that has been the standard forecast. Now we will see if it actually delivers. Temperature range is supposed to be 80F for the high and 34F for the low.

We have had a inch and a half so far this month.

Man I feel for you. And to just think that I have been complaining about the excessive mud here. We have had more than usual rain and it is supposed to rain again tomorrow and on and off next week. I guess I should just be thankfull.

We haven't had any rain since November 20. Everything around here very dry...humidity been in 10 to 15% range. Lots of dry grass around...pray there are no wildfires!

We have well water to keep our metal stock tanks filled and do little watering (to keep our few trees and some small pen areas "alive"). Planted ryegrass last fall...started to come up...all it needs is water. Been in 70's here past few days, very unusual for January. No rain in sight for next 10 days. Been feeding 14% bermuda hay for months now.

NOAA Drought Index shows serious severe drought forcasts thru April, 2009. More "likely development" categories are expanding. Way things are going, State of Texas (except extreme NE area of State) will probably be widespread drought.

In our area, farmers been busily discing their cotton stubble. Lot of disturbed ground (sandy soil) around. Occasional patches of winter wheat about 6" tall, but other patches probably in 3-4" height and beginning to show stress from drought. Wheat should be 2X as tall by now.

Things are getting real scarry! :help:

Caustic Burno":1us4a3ru said:
1982vett":1us4a3ru said:

We have had a inch and a half so far this month.

6/10ths for the month gives us a week to get the other 2 1/2 to have an average January rainfall. Showers are out of the forecast today but still in for Monday and Tuesday. Supposed to cool off Satureday to a low of 38F and a High of 51F.

Running Arrow Bill":1us4a3ru said:
We haven't had any rain since November 20. Everything around here very dry...humidity been in 10 to 15% range. Lots of dry grass around...pray there are no wildfires!

We have well water to keep our metal stock tanks filled and do little watering (to keep our few trees and some small pen areas "alive"). Planted ryegrass last fall...started to come up...all it needs is water. Been in 70's here past few days, very unusual for January. No rain in sight for next 10 days. Been feeding 14% bermuda hay for months now.

NOAA Drought Index shows serious severe drought forcasts thru April, 2009. More "likely development" categories are expanding. Way things are going, State of Texas (except extreme NE area of State) will probably be widespread drought.

In our area, farmers been busily discing their cotton stubble. Lot of disturbed ground (sandy soil) around. Occasional patches of winter wheat about 6" tall, but other patches probably in 3-4" height and beginning to show stress from drought. Wheat should be 2X as tall by now.

Things are getting real scarry! :help:

Pretty much the same here, since except we did manage 7/10ths inch since Thanksgiving. Corn and cotton land is being worked, oats that came up looks terrible and isn't growing. Isn't any ryegrass and clover. Started grazing what little oats I do have every third day instead of every other day like I was. Starting to feed the better quality hay. Thinking of taking a few cow/calf pairs in Wednesday if it doesn't rain before then.

Glad to hear somebody is gettin rain,I believe this is the worst Ive seen,nuthin left around here but a few culls,I aint about to restock till my pastures are back and the barns are full.
How are you liking that TN tractor CB ?
good luck

HAY MAKER":1ejr68ji said:
Glad to hear somebody is gettin rain,I believe this is the worst Ive seen,nuthin left around here but a few culls,I aint about to restock till my pastures are back and the barns are full.
good luck

So far I like it but all new brooms sweep good. I told the wife today I need to start hitting the salebarns shopping for bargins. Some of the old timers here are getting almost out just holding on to few. One old timer here is talking about selling down to 25 on 200 acres and just stockpiling grass and quit messing with hay.

Caustic Burno":222tc44s said:
HAY MAKER":222tc44s said:
good luck

So far I like it but all new brooms sweep good. I told the wife today I need to start hitting the salebarns shopping for bargins. Some of the old timers here are getting almost out just holding on to few. One old timer here is talking about selling down to 25 on 200 acres and just stockpiling grass and quit messing with hay.

I have had good luck with mine,matter of fact battery lasted 5 years,sometimes i think those old timers are right.........man might make more money with less cattle,especially in this kinda weather.
I was gonna have some of my field land planted to jiggs and tifton but weather people are sayin drought through spring so guess Ill wait..................good luck

Caustic Burno":3dhg9lig said:
One old timer here is talking about selling down to 25 on 200 acres and just stockpiling grass and quit messing with hay.
There is a lot of this going on around here. As we all know it has happened in different parts of the country in the last few years. I cannot help but wonder if this could be a good thing in a way. (Just trying to find some good in the bad) It does force ranchers to cull out the marginal keepers and only retain the best of the best. May actually turn out that he ends up with a much more efficient herd for the future. High fertilizer prices may be forcing us to raise cattle that do well on lower quality forage.

novatech":2izo3hqy said:
Caustic Burno":2izo3hqy said:
One old timer here is talking about selling down to 25 on 200 acres and just stockpiling grass and quit messing with hay.
There is a lot of this going on around here. As we all know it has happened in different parts of the country in the last few years. I cannot help but wonder if this could be a good thing in a way. (Just trying to find some good in the bad) It does force ranchers to cull out the marginal keepers and only retain the best of the best. May actually turn out that he ends up with a much more efficient herd for the future. High fertilizer prices may be forcing us to raise cattle that do well on lower quality forage.

You are right look at the fuel, fertilizer, time, savings. This reminds me of when we used to run cows on nothing but grass with nothing and I mean nothing else. I remember old uncles looking at old cows saying that old cow is not going to make it this winter. The difference is these were sorry cows and calf's compared to today quality.
Now they were tough cows they could eat barb wire and brairs and survive, you had to have good horses and dogs to pen them. Part of that management was dead on as they had virtually no input cost now if you can get there through reduced numbers and maintain the quality. Getting out of the hay business has money maker written all over it.You are looking at a minimum savings of 60 bucks a head in the south.

Caustic Burno":nstq8c7x said:
I told the wife today I need to start hitting the salebarns shopping for bargins. Some of the old timers here are getting almost out just holding on to few. One old timer here is talking about selling down to 25 on 200 acres and just stockpiling grass and quit messing with hay.

In just the last two weeks the price of calves has started to climb over here. Nothing will make people want to hang on to Besse like potential profit.

Vett, I have to say that your cows without rain look better than mine with! Seriously, for such a bad drought, your doing a good job of managing to keep weight on them.

cypressfarms":2llnelgg said:
Vett, I have to say that your cows without rain look better than mine with! Seriously, for such a bad drought, your doing a good job of managing to keep weight on them.

Thanks, it hasn't come without a cost. I will run out of a 2 year supply of hay around May. Was hoping to have some rain relief by now and lighten up on numbers in the spring but at the rate the area needing rain is growing, that plan doesn't look promising right now.

Heeyy, batta-batta swi-n-gg....

I drove up to Austin yesterday, from the east side. I don,t recall ever seeing it so dry. Cedar trees are even dying. The winter weeds have not even sprouted.
In my area the clover I planted has died off. The oats are alive but not growing. The native clover is the same. I can,t help but wonder how many pastures will have to be completely replanted this spring. If there is ever any rain for warm season planting.

Latest posts