Texas drought

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Brother and I have on our bucket list to see a game at all the major league stadiums. We chose Texas this year . We also try to see historical sites and go to college campuses. We landed in Dallas , so we saw the Rangers first . Did Fort Worth, then drove to Austin . Drove over into the hill country to the LBJ ranch ; on towards Waco and then to college station. Finally to Houston. A lot of difference in the country we saw . Did see some cattle but man is it dry ! Breaks my heart for the farmers and ranchers . Different to read and hear about it than to actually see it . Don't think I saw any young cattle/calves . Pray for rain/ relief for these folks !

The LBJ region is about as bad as it could be. I think they are in a D4 drought over there. It does improve as you move toward the coast, but most of us have not seen rain in 4 weeks.

Rained Tuesday before we flew out of Houston. Area going to College Station was dry also . Around Waco the farmers were full blast gathering corn . From the interstate the corn looked good .

Brother and I have on our bucket list to see a game at all the major league stadiums. We chose Texas this year . We also try to see historical sites and go to college campuses. We landed in Dallas , so we saw the Rangers first . Did Fort Worth, then drove to Austin . Drove over into the hill country to the LBJ ranch ; on towards Waco and then to college station. Finally to Houston. A lot of difference in the country we saw . Did see some cattle but man is it dry ! Breaks my heart for the farmers and ranchers . Different to read and hear about it than to actually see it . Don't think I saw any young cattle/calves . Pray for rain/ relief for these folks !
Thanks for the prayers-we need them

I have been an Astros fan my whole life, but do pull for the rangers if they get in the World Series.
I don't live that for away from Houston, maybe 30 miles west of Bryan, I haven't been to an Astros game since 1980, we use to go to the dome when I was working south of Houston and get the $2 centerfield seats.

19 down and 11 to go on stadiums. Haven't done any west coast ones . Arizona, Denver, K C , St Louis and Cincinnati. Planning on doing Oakland and SF next year and maybe 1 more .

Rained Tuesday before we flew out of Houston. Area going to College Station was dry also . Around Waco the farmers were full blast gathering corn . From the interstate the corn looked good .

Maybe they had some of the rain that kept going North of my location. I'm 65 miles SW of Waco and all during June and early July, the storms came from the West NW and cut off to a more northerly direction about where the Colorado River runs. My nephew is raising Brahmans up near Weatherford (Due West of DFW.) and they got more rain than I did in that period. It is VERY dry here in Bell, Coryell, San Saba and Lampasas counties.
I don't live that for away from Houston, maybe 30 miles west of Bryan
I used to live and work out of Burleson County in the early to mid 80s. Lived just west of Caldwell but worked all over Burleson, Lee, Washington, Fayette counties keeping drilling rigs running. Worked as far south as El Campo and West as far as Thrall. I shouldn't say it, but I knew where every den of iniquity in that region was too.

At that time, the old narrow Whisky River bridge over the Brazos and Little Brazos could be treacherous with all the vacuum trucks and workover rigs traveling it. Vac trucks tore up one of the back road (FM) so bad the state couldn't keep it repaired. We renamed it hemorrhoid boulevard.

I have been an Astros fan my whole life, but do pull for the rangers if they get in the World Series.
I don't live that for away from Houston, maybe 30 miles west of Bryan, I haven't been to an Astros game since 1980, we use to go to the dome when I was working south of Houston and get the $2 centerfield seats.

I used to watch the Colt 45s play in old Colt Stadium, then they got uptown and renamed themselves to the Astros. I have been to the Astrodome many times. 1st time was standing room only and dad, my brother and I sat in the aisle up in the purple section. That scoreboard was way before it's time. A pitcher's park. Not a lot of homers were it there.

I used to watch the Colt 45s play in old Colt Stadium, then they got uptown and renamed themselves to the Astros. I have been to the Astrodome many times. 1st time was standing room only and dad, my brother and I sat in the aisle up in the purple section. That scoreboard was way before it's time. A pitcher's park. Not a lot of homers were it there.
I was there when they played the Yankees in an exposition game, standing room only.
I did get to see Mickey Mantle.
My dad was an Astros fan, and for some reason he loved the Yankees?

Maybe they had some of the rain that kept going North of my location. I'm 65 miles SW of Waco and all during June and early July, the storms came from the West NW and cut off to a more northerly direction about where the Colorado River runs. My nephew is raising Brahmans up near Weatherford (Due West of DFW.) and they got more rain than I did in that period. It is VERY dry here in Bell, Coryell, San Saba and Lampasas counties.

I used to live and work out of Burleson County in the early to mid 80s. Lived just west of Caldwell but worked all over Burleson, Lee, Washington, Fayette counties keeping drilling rigs running. Worked as far south as El Campo and West as far as Thrall. I shouldn't say it, but I knew where every den of iniquity in that region was too.

At that time, the old narrow Whisky River bridge over the Brazos and Little Brazos could be treacherous with all the vacuum trucks and workover rigs traveling it. Vac trucks tore up one of the back road (FM) so bad the state couldn't keep it repaired. We renamed it hemorrhoid boulevard.
I know exactly where hemorrhoid road is, I've been down it hundreds maybe thousands of times, it's a county road not a FM.
But back then they did tear up lots of FM roads.

It is dry here in Texas...but with the early spring rains...we have a bumper crop of corn they're processing and cutting today as we speak. Lots of pasture forgage left for cattle. 2 to 3 months no rain is EASY and Common in Texas...it's when it's 4 to 6 months no rain it becomes rough & killer.
It's not common in Tyler county we average 58" a year.
This is the second year of this drought. I have never seen a drought that only lasted one year.
It's going to take a Harvey event to break this drought .
It is already impacting the US Herd . There is definitely an opening for Brazil and Zimbabwe to make some money.
Several men I know have sold out and are not going back in.
My neighbor ask me yesterday why I still had grass ? I told him I sold off half of mine when this started last year.

It's depressing…I just starting raising cattle in 2021 and been in a drought for 2 of the 3 years. Definitely not what I envisioned.
There is some good to it. It's far worse to come in when times are good and get false hopes, imo. 😄 You will be better for it.

My buddy I cut hay with is sending 500 bales to Texas this weekend. Last year a neighbor imported several hundred bales. He didn't sell any cows aside from old ones that were due to go anyway. I know its bad down there.
I suffered thru last year with a LOT of stress here. The advice on this forum sure helped me a lot!!
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This place is great and has so many wonderful folks with great advice.

THANK YOU !

I hope the rains come soon

Latest posts