Still born calf

Help Support CattleToday:

CCCowman

Reaction score
Had a still born today. Wasn't due til March 23rd or so. Not a mark or anything on the calf. Looked perfectly normal. Weighed 40 lbs.

This is a first for me. Advice/suggestions please.

At that stage of gestation, a still born can be a result of leptospirosis. Do you vaccinate for Lepto and in particular does the vaccine you use include the Hardjo serovar Leptospira borgpetersenii? Sorry I cannot make that more simple because all Hardjo vaccines do not include the borgpetersenii strain. If you list the vaccine, I can tell you. Hardjo causes mid to late gestation abortions and still births.

It could be many other causes. Congenital defects, neospora, etc.

Bright Raven":38ltfbxj said:
At that stage of gestation, a still born can be a result of leptospirosis. Do you vaccinate for Lepto and in particular does the vaccine you use include the Hardjo serovar Leptospira borgpetersenii? Sorry I cannot make that more simple because all Hardjo vaccines do not include the borgpetersenii strain. If you list the vaccine, I can tell you. Hardjo causes mid to late gestation abortions and still births.

It could be many other causes. Congenital defects, neospora, etc.

Heres my records for her. Sure dont look like anything for Lepto.

1. Viral Respiratory Vaccine (IBR, BVD, PI3, BRSV) * Killed Virus (Novartis Vira Shield 6 + L5)

2. 7 way Clostridial (Blackleg & Pinkeye) 20/20 Vision 7 with Spur (W/Blackleg & pinkeye)

3. Deworm Injectable ** Ivomec

Bag it up and ship/haul it to an University, or animal disease lab. Be sure to bag up any placenta with it.

CCCowman, are you on a good mineral program? There are numerous reasons for an aborted calf. Had a friend here in Tennessee that determined the cause was acorn poisoning. It was more in the Fall time of the year, but just another example of one of the many reasons things happen. Sorry for you luck.

Vira Shield 6 +L5 covers the following:

For use in healthy cattle, including pregnant cows and heifers, as an aid in the prevention of disease caused by infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR), bovine virus diarrhea (BVD Type 1 and BVD Type 2), parainfluenza Type 3 (PI3), and bovine respiratory syncytial (BRSV) viruses and Leptospira canicola, grippotyphosa, hardjo, icterohaemorrhagiae, and pomona. Produced from non-cytopathic (BVD Type 1 and BVD Type 2) and cytopathic (BVD Type 1) isolates.

It covers Hardjo but not the Leptospira borgpetersenii serovar. That is the serovar that current studies show is causing about 70 % of the leptospirosis in the southeast United States

There are several vaccines that do. For example Spirovac, and Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 L5 Hardjo.

Hardjo stain is the part that covers lepto borgpetersenii serovar.

The primary cause of bovine leptospirosis in the United States is Leptospira borgpetersenii
serovar Hardjo type Hardjo-bovis, commonly called Lepto hardjo-bovis.
-Pfizer USA

sim.-ang.king":2less3d4 said:
Hardjo stain is the part that covers lepto borgpetersenii serovar.

The primary cause of bovine leptospirosis in the United States is Leptospira borgpetersenii
serovar Hardjo type Hardjo-bovis, commonly called Lepto hardjo-bovis.
-Pfizer USA

Correct. But not all Leptospira hardjo vaccines include the Hardjo bovis (Leptospira borgpetersenii) you have to read the manufacturer's brochure. You can get it on Valley Vet or Jeffers.

Vira Shield 6 L5 does not include that hardjo strain.

The confusion is because Leptospira hardjo has several serovars.

Bright Raven":3pnenvrq said:
Vira Shield 6 +L5 covers the following:

For use in healthy cattle, including pregnant cows and heifers, as an aid in the prevention of disease caused by infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR), bovine virus diarrhea (BVD Type 1 and BVD Type 2), parainfluenza Type 3 (PI3), and bovine respiratory syncytial (BRSV) viruses and Leptospira canicola, grippotyphosa, hardjo, icterohaemorrhagiae, and pomona. Produced from non-cytopathic (BVD Type 1 and BVD Type 2) and cytopathic (BVD Type 1) isolates.

It covers Hardjo but not the Leptospira borgpetersenii serovar. That is the serovar that current studies show is causing about 70 % of the leptospirosis in the southeast United States

There are several vaccines that do. For example Spirovac, and Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 L5 Hardjo.

This is what you need to see on the manufacturer's brochure if it covers the Leptospira borgpetersenii:

The liquid fraction contains a specially prepared, inactivated and adjuvanted unique strain of Leptospira borgpetersenii serovar hardjo-bovis together with inactivated and adjuvanted cultures of Campylobacter fetus, L. pomona, L. grippotyphosa, L. canicola, and L. icterohaemorrhagiae. (Zoetis)

Leptospira hardjo is the species.

Leptospira borgpetersenii is the serovar under the species. The confusion gets worse because it is also called hardjo-bovis.

Get me an email from Elanco stating that Vira Shield 6+L5 doesn't cover lepto borgpetersenii serovar Hardjo, and i'll eat my words.
Until then, we can only go off of what the current info gives us, which is it does contain Hardjo as one of the 5 strains.

With the Leptospira borgpetersenii serovar:

Spirovac L5
Vista 5 L5
Vira Shield 6+L5 HB
Reprostar VL5 HB
MasterGuard 10 HB
Titanium 5 L5 HB

Does not include the Leptospira borgpetersenii serovar:

StayBred VL5
Pyramid 10
Lepto Shield 5
Cattlemaster Gold FP 5 VL5
Leptoferm 5
Vira Shield 6 L5

sim.-ang.king":2xjbhkl9 said:
Get me an email from Elanco stating that Vira Shield 6+L5 doesn't cover lepto borgpetersenii serovar Hardjo, and i'll eat my words.
Until then, we can only go off of what the current info gives us, which is it does contain Hardjo as one of the 5 strains.

If it does not say Vira Shield 6 L5 HB. It don't include lepto borgpetersenii.

HB mean Hardjo bovis [lepto borgpetersenii]

Bright Raven":2yisujsl said:
sim.-ang.king":2yisujsl said:

I concede, you are correct. Thank you for clear that up.

Getting the calf, placenta tested would still be the route I would take.

sim.-ang.king":2i6xymo5 said:
Bright Raven":2i6xymo5 said:
sim.-ang.king":2i6xymo5 said:

I concede, you are correct. Thank you for clear that up.

Getting the calf, placenta tested would still be the route I would take.

Yes. Sim that is the only way.

Latest posts