Still born calf

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king":2ce3zyzz said:
Bright Raven":2ce3zyzz said:
sim.-ang.king":2ce3zyzz said:
Get me an email from Elanco stating that Vira Shield 6+L5 doesn't cover lepto borgpetersenii serovar Hardjo, and i'll eat my words.
Until then, we can only go off of what the current info gives us, which is it does contain Hardjo as one of the 5 strains.

If it does not say Vira Shield 6 L5 HB. It don't include lepto borgpetersenii.

HB mean Hardjo bovis [lepto borgpetersenii]
I concede, you are correct. Thank you for clear that up.

Getting the calf, placenta tested would still be the route I would take.

Think that is the thing I'll do. Appreciate all the insite/advice!

TN Cattle Man":mduwi1i0 said:
CCCowman, are you on a good mineral program? There are numerous reasons for an aborted calf. Had a friend here in Tennessee that determined the cause was acorn poisoning. It was more in the Fall time of the year, but just another example of one of the many reasons things happen. Sorry for you luck.

Yes I am. They have minerals 24-7/365.

Moldy hay can also cause late term abortions. I understand its only particular types of mold that are dangerous. I'm Not knowledgable enough to know which.

Bright Raven":k3wr5nil said:
With the Leptospira borgpetersenii serovar:

Spirovac L5
Vista 5 L5
Vira Shield 6+L5 HB
Reprostar VL5 HB
MasterGuard 10 HB
Titanium 5 L5 HB

Does not include the Leptospira borgpetersenii serovar:

StayBred VL5
Pyramid 10
Lepto Shield 5
Cattlemaster Gold FP 5 VL5
Leptoferm 5
Vira Shield 6 L5

Which, if any, of those with HB are killed?

Midtenn":2yedcsc1 said:
Bright Raven":2yedcsc1 said:

Spirovac L5
Vista 5 L5
Vira Shield 6+L5 HB
Reprostar VL5 HB
MasterGuard 10 HB
Titanium 5 L5 HB

StayBred VL5
Pyramid 10
Lepto Shield 5
Leptoferm 5
Vira Shield 6 L5

All of those with Leptospira borgpetersenii in the top list are killed:

Spirovac L5
Vista 5 L5
Vira Shield 6+L5 HB
Reprostar VL5 HB
MasterGuard 10 HB
Titanium 5 L5 HB

Modified Live Virus is mostly used for IBR, BVD, PI3, BRSV, and the scours vaccines like Calf Guard which include coronavirus and rotavirus.

Just to add. You can use Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 VL5 HB. That includes MLV for IBR, BVD, PI3, BRSV and a killed component for Vibro and Leptospira (including Leptospira borgpetersenii also called Hardjo bovis or HB). Same is true of Vista 5 L5. They do not put HB on the label but if you read the manufacturer's brochure, it does include Leptospira borgpetersenii (Hardjo bovis).

That is what I use. If I am only needing to vaccinate for Vibro and Leptospira, I use Spirovac VL5. All of the Spirovac vaccines include Leptospira borgpetersenii so they do not put the HB in the label. Yes, it gets confusing. You have to look at the manufacturer's brochure to really be 100 % positive.

Bright Raven":1mugq7hu said:

Spirovac L5
Vista 5 L5
Vira Shield 6+L5 HB
Reprostar VL5 HB
MasterGuard 10 HB
Titanium 5 L5 HB

StayBred VL5
Pyramid 10
Lepto Shield 5
Leptoferm 5
Vira Shield 6 L5

You left out the best Triangle 10 HB.

Midtenn":e5slkdny said:
Bright Raven":e5slkdny said:

Spirovac L5
Vista 5 L5
Vira Shield 6+L5 HB
Reprostar VL5 HB
MasterGuard 10 HB
Titanium 5 L5 HB

StayBred VL5
Pyramid 10
Lepto Shield 5
Leptoferm 5
Vira Shield 6 L5

Triangle 10 HB.

True Grit Farms":1idampz2 said:
Bright Raven":1idampz2 said:

Spirovac L5
Vista 5 L5
Vira Shield 6+L5 HB
Reprostar VL5 HB
MasterGuard 10 HB
Titanium 5 L5 HB

StayBred VL5
Pyramid 10
Lepto Shield 5
Leptoferm 5
Vira Shield 6 L5

Thanks.

The list is not all inclusive. The list is the ones I had time to read the manufacturer's brochure and confirm they covered Leptospira borgpetersenii or as it was originally called - Hardjo bovis.

Just a note to all: Leptospira is a genus of bacteria. Thus, it is not a VIRUS. Live Modified vaccines are usually viruses. Bacterial vaccines are usually bacterins or toxoids.

Bright Raven":2sjoeifd said:
True Grit Farms":2sjoeifd said:
Bright Raven":2sjoeifd said:

Spirovac L5
Vista 5 L5
Vira Shield 6+L5 HB
Reprostar VL5 HB
MasterGuard 10 HB
Titanium 5 L5 HB

StayBred VL5
Pyramid 10
Lepto Shield 5
Leptoferm 5
Vira Shield 6 L5

Thanks.

The list is not all inclusive. The list is the ones I had time to read the manufacturer's brochure and confirm they covered Leptospira borgpetersenii or as it was originally called - Hardjo bovis.

Just a note to all: Leptospira is a genus of bacteria. Thus, it is not a VIRUS. Live Modified vaccines are usually viruses. Bacterial vaccines are usually bacterins or toxoids.

Come on now, you were profiling.

True Grit Farms":1d59uy93 said:
Bright Raven":1d59uy93 said:
True Grit Farms":1d59uy93 said:

Thanks.

Come on now, you were profiling.

Good point. :lol2:

76 Bar":por2ofg8 said:

The Fetal Protection 5 component is modified live virus. BUT NOT THE L5 component.

From the manufacturer's brochure:

FP 5 Components:
Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis Virus (IBR), Modified Live Virus
Bovine Virus Diarrhea Virus (BVD), Modified Live Virus
Bovine Parainfluenza3 Virus (PI3), Modified Live Virus
Bovine Respiratory Syncytial Virus Vaccine (BRSV), Modified Live Virus

Leptospira components, killed bacterin:
Leptospira Canicola
Leptospira Grippotyphosa
Leptospira Hardjo
Leptospira Icterohaemorrhagiae
Leptospira Pomona

Midtenn":1uafzu2i said:
Bright Raven":1uafzu2i said:

Spirovac L5
Vista 5 L5
Vira Shield 6+L5 HB
Reprostar VL5 HB
MasterGuard 10 HB
Titanium 5 L5 HB

StayBred VL5
Pyramid 10
Lepto Shield 5
Leptoferm 5
Vira Shield 6 L5

Midtenn if you are looking for a totally "killed" preparation in which both the FP 5 and L5 components are both "killed" and the vaccine includes HB - Vira Shield 6 +L5 HB and Triangle 10 HB meet those criteria. Spirovac and Reprostar are vaccines that only cover the Leptospira bacteria and both can be purchased with vibrio. Even though the label does not say HB on Spirovac, it does cover HB. Both are killed bacterins. Reprostar VL5 HB is killed but it does not cover the Fetal Protection 5 viruses.

Bright Raven":3gqxlrq9 said:
Here is a decent article on abortions in cattle. But to really know if it was caused by an infection, you would need to test the fetus and perhaps the cow.

http://www.beefmagazine.com/americancow ... prevention

Finally useful information for the man.
Lots of reasons for abortions . I have seen more with Neopora along with stillborn. My experience with lepto is they die within three days.

Caustic Burno":3kbgv7vj said:
Bright Raven":3kbgv7vj said:
Here is a decent article on abortions in cattle. But to really know if it was caused by an infection, you would need to test the fetus and perhaps the cow.

It is important when selecting vaccines to know what you are getting. I invited a vet to our County field day to discuss fetal protection vaccines, although an excellent vet, she got a couple of facts wrong. The drug companies certainly don't make it easy. I have found that a lot of the problems come from bad labeling.

It would be easy to say - just get a vaccine that is labeled HB to ensure it includes Leptospira borgpetersenii (Hardjo bovis). Unfortunately, some that include Leptospira borgpetersenii do not include HB in the label.

Bright Raven":yxgx6tjz said:
Caustic Burno":yxgx6tjz said:
Bright Raven":yxgx6tjz said:

It is important when selecting vaccines to know what you are getting. I invited a vet to our County field day to discuss fetal protection vaccines, although an excellent vet, she got a couple of facts wrong. The drug companies certainly don't make it easy. I have found that a lot of the problems come from bad labeling.

It would be easy to say - just get a vaccine that is labeled HB to ensure it includes Leptospira borgpetersenii (Hardjo bovis). Unfortunately, some that include Leptospira borgpetersenii do not include HB in the label.

Your missing the point.
That was information overload for most newbies as well as lepto is not the only thing he should be looking for.
Find the cause first then you can work on the cure.

Caustic Burno":3m28ktn9 said:
Bright Raven":3m28ktn9 said:
Caustic Burno":3m28ktn9 said:

Your missing the point.
That was information overload for most newbies as well as lepto is not the only thing he should be looking for.
Find the cause first then you can work on the cure.

That information is for any User who reads the thread. I agree with finding the problem.