Steer with snotty nose

Help Support CattleToday:

Stockguy

Reaction score
Howdy guys
I have a steer that i'm going to get butcherd tomorrow and he has a snotty nose, im wondering if it will have any ill effects on the meat? i have not givin any anibiotics. any way just wondering Thanks

take his temp before you send him off. Remember the more you work with him the more stressed he'll get.
I think if I remember correctly it's 38.5 Celcius that is the breaking point for the decision to not to butcher. converted to Farenhiet?

Thanks RockRidge
I would like to do that but the only problom is I have not got a squeeze chute yet. any other advice, info? Thanks a Lot.

If all it is is the snotty nose and he otherwise acts normal I would just butcher him.

He seems to be feeling a little down, not eating quite as much as he normally does. any other thoughts? Also I have two and the other one is just fine, they been in the same pasture and eating the same feed. thanks

most definitely take a temp. Even if you have to give him a few days before you butcher due to the stress. No chute, tie pannels to gether along a good fence and get him in. Gonna need a way to restrain him if you have to treat. If you have to treat do not od as that changes the withdrawl times.
Butchering a real nice steer is a bummer if the temp is up. Meat tends to not be too good. And after all that hard work...
If no temp, go for it...unless real sick of course

I would take his temp if possible but you can also "see" a temperature. Are eyes cloudy and not interested in anything, ears drooping, back hunched up, head low, is it slow to move, not eating as much. Any one of these and I would expect a fever.

Bama":11a1wlgs said:
I would take his temp if possible but you can also "see" a temperature. Are eyes cloudy and not interested in anything, ears drooping, back hunched up, head low, is it slow to move, not eating as much. Any one of these and I would expect a fever.

Yes, indeedy!

Alice

Have seen snotty noses one day and gone the next. I would look for other symptems like Bama mentioned. And would doctor if needed.I definately not butcher until completely satisfied that he's healthy enough.

Cal

Could be that he is just feeling a bit poorly. I'd watch him for a day or two and see if he improves...taking his temp is probably the best way to see if he is comming down with anything.
Have you had a drastic change in the weather? I've seen them act down when we get the up and down temps cows attitudes improve when the temps stabilize either way.
Good luck. DMc
By the way...I wouldn't slaughter him if you suspect that he isn't 100%.

Latest posts