steel truss's

Help Support CattleToday:

cowsrus

Reaction score
Has anyone used steel truss's on a regular pole barn? It seems like it would be a good idea, but i've never heard of anyone doing it.

Don;t see what advantage steel would have over the readymade wood ones that we use.

Cowsrus,

Here is a picture of my main part of the barn we built last year. It 40' wide x 50' long. We used the steel trusses and I like the open air look. Lots of folks around here use the steel trusses.

If I remember correctly each of the 40' wide truss cost $135 each and it took 6 trusses for the 50' barn.

img-2351_large.jpg

dun":1lmklg9x said:
Don;t see what advantage steel would have over the readymade wood ones that we use.

Over here steel is cheaper than wood. Length for length wood would be cheaper, but because you can go longer spans with steel it comes out cheaper in the end.

i got a 40 x 80 from ez barn in n. florida.
its just like the above pics.
made it thru the hurricanes here. also cant beat the price compared to wood its bout 1/2 price.
built my 40 x 80 14 ft tall on 10 ft cntrs for about 11000$ myself doin the labor and the delivery. 8x8 posts.
the ez barn will install and eliver if you like.

check out
http://www.panhandlesalvage.com i think..

cowsrus

The trusses we us here in Florida like diesel beef showed from my hometown dealer http://www.panhandlesalvage.com might not work for you. (no snow load) however I'm sure you have steel trusses avaliable in your area. The ones we use are pretty easy to install, and your's should be too.

Dun the advantage we have with the steel trusses is that we can usually get a greater span with steel than wood, for less money.

My barn is a 40' x 108' post on 12' centers w/14' eve and 4 on 12 pitch.

And Cowsrus always remeber to check you building codes before you start if you do it yourself

I live in rural NE Oklahoma and you can pretty well build anything you want. What I was really interested in was framing it up just like a regular pole barn using some used utility poles and then maybe use a steel span trusse instead of a wooden one for the roof. It seemed like a good idea, I don,t know what the cost difference would be, I do think the steel would be a lot stronger. I think that is what Knowland Farms did with his hay barn and it really looks good.

agri steel or somethin like that in ga also has the same trusses. i built my 40 x 80 almost entirely by myself. my brother drove the machine to lift em in(off road forklift) but i did all the poles and trusses myself. pulled all the sheetmetal up by hand witha pair of visegrips tied to a rope. it wasnt too bad but it did take me most of the summer. theres lot of screws in that sheetmetal lemme tell ya

agri steel or somethin like that in ga also has the same trusses. i built my 40 x 80 almost entirely by myself. my brother drove the machine to lift em in(off road forklift) but i did all the poles and trusses myself. pulled all the sheetmetal up by hand witha pair of visegrips tied to a rope. it wasnt too bad but it did take me most of the summer. theres lot of screws in that sheetmetal lemme tell ya

i posted some pics in the members gallery of home while we were puttin up the barn

I built my shop basically the same way. I took second hand bar joists, cut them in the middle, welded them back together on a 1/12 pitch and came up with the same thing.

cowsrus
you can us anything you want for the post, my friend and neighbor just used some metal pipe fr his post and welded the trusses to the post. I've also seen the old power poles used too.

I just know now with the new pressure treated wood we have here you do not need to use it on the rafters for the tin, because it will rust the tin and do it quick.

thats true.i used untreated rufcut for the purlins or ya gotta put tarpaper between the tin and the purlin. trim it off then or leave it dont matter cept for looks of it

Knowland Farms, thank you for those great pictures. I really liked the detailed up close look. It will be very helpfull in my costruction. Thanks to everyone for your help. This is a great site with people helping people.

Latest posts