Painting a Steel pipe fence

Help Support CattleToday:

lcompton

Reaction score
It's 2 3/8 drill stem and 3/4 sucker rod. we have sanded and used a rust converter OSPHO on it and started using Valspar Oil Base Red Oxide Primer for Metal. my question is do I need to paint over the primer ? or can I just use the primer ? since I was gonna paint it Red, and the primer is Red . I have around 2500 ft to do so I don't want to spend anymore time on it than I need to. thanks

lcompton":34bcvr5a said:
It's 2 3/8 drill stem and 3/4 sucker rod. we have sanded and used a rust converter OSPHO on it and started using Valspar Oil Base Red Oxide Primer for Metal. my question is do I need to paint over the primer ? or can I just use the primer ? since I was gonna paint it Red, and the primer is Red . I have around 2500 ft to do so I don't want to spend anymore time on it than I need to. thanks
I haven't been able to find anything to use yet that will last over 2-3 years without having to sand and repaint.

Yep--lots of strange things happen with and to downhole pipe. Run a scintillation counter over it and see what happens.......... :hide:

greybeard":u5365qag said:
Yep--lots of strange things happen with and to downhole pipe. Run a scintillation counter over it and see what happens.......... :hide:

Does it glow in the dark? :lol: :lol: Just finished my pen with the same. Worked cattle this past weekend and it worked great, especially the tub.

TexasBred":3sefiyrv said:
lcompton":3sefiyrv said:
I haven't been able to find anything to use yet that will last over 2-3 years without having to sand and repaint.

That's why we don't paint. :nod:

Ive got miles of peeling white paint on my pipe but my first project is the entrance. There is a lot of chipping paint, do I have to hand sand it all off? or do they may some sort of portable sand blaster? (100% new to ranching and this stuff BTW)

The first image is the entrance i want to refurbish.

This picture is just a close up of the type of pipe but raw pipe.

callmefence":3vr9hxdt said:
TexasBred":3vr9hxdt said:
lcompton":3vr9hxdt said:

Fence,
I just put up a pipe corral. It was bare metal and has rusted up. Are you saying just let it rust don't put anything on there?

I'd leave the pipe raw.. it'll look better in 5 years than painted and flaking.. That is unless you want to dedicate a person to making things look pretty

HDRider":29r0unwx said:
callmefence":29r0unwx said:
TexasBred":29r0unwx said:

Fence,
I just put up a pipe corral. It was bare metal and has rusted up. Are you saying just let it rust don't put anything on there?

No we don't paint because we're not painters. I'm never quite happy with it and don't like doing it. With that being said..
I personally like the look of it rusted and it's quite common for folks here to do that.
Never paint raw new pipe. Let it get a light rust before you paint. If it has a heavy rust that flakes off your going to have to prep The metal. There is a chemical stripper that works quite well. Flakes of rust will be on the ground under the fence the day after you apply it. For the life of me I cant Rember the name, but I'll get it and be back..

callmefence":2i0apvmt said:
HDRider":2i0apvmt said:
callmefence":2i0apvmt said:
Fence,

No we don't paint because we're not painters. I'm never quite happy with it and don't like doing it. With that being said..
I personally like the look of it rusted and it's quite common for folks here to do that.
Never paint raw new pipe. Let it get a light rust before you paint. If it has a heavy rust that flakes off your going to have to prep The metal. There is a chemical stripper that works quite well. Flakes of rust will be on the ground under the fence the day after you apply it. For the life of me I cant Rember the name, but I'll get it and be back..

Why is that?

callmefence":3ce97ek4 said:
HDRider":3ce97ek4 said:
callmefence":3ce97ek4 said:
Fence,

http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm

Try a section before you spend a lot of money and see how it works. Tubing that has been exposed to H2S or CO2 will never hold paint. It seeps from the inside out. The paint will look like its cracking then start coming off it chunks a lot of times with metal attached to it.

New pipe comes with oils on it... the black stuff that gets all over your hands. You have to wipe it down with a degreaser or gas, diesel, some thing of that nature and paint it asap. If you wait until the next day it will start rusting. The best thing to do with square tubing or some thing of that nature when you get it new is wipe it all down and rattle a cheap primer on it. Then it can sit for a good while and it will be ready to go. My dad would do that to all his pipe in stock at his shop so he didn't have to mess with the black stuff while he was working and it would not rust.

The best time to paint your pipe is right after taking the oils off. It last for ever like that... even cheap rattle on paint. I don't like buying used sq tubing, angle, flat bar, etc after it has started rusting. If its going to be some thing nice you never get that rust truly gone. Catch it right when you take the black stuff off and it will be good to go for a long time.

HDRider":1grktj3p said:
callmefence":1grktj3p said:
TexasBred":1grktj3p said:

Fence,
If you do paint it use that primer and a car wash hand mitt (get several of them) and slip a rubber glove on before putting your hand in the mitt. Open the bucket and dunk the mitt. Then just wipe the pipe down.

jedstivers":2s4neakj said:
HDRider":2s4neakj said:
callmefence":2s4neakj said:
Fence,
If you do paint it use that primer and a car wash hand mitt (get several of them) and slip a rubber glove on before putting your hand in the mitt. Open the bucket and dunk the mitt. Then just wipe the pipe down.

Exactly Jed. They make painting mits also. We found that a tube sock and rubber gloves also works just as well. I wouldn't consider painting a pipe fence any other way.

We have used the paint mittens and they are better than brushes but leave a lot to be desired. It's slow, kind of wasteful on paint and doesn't look all that great.

Hard to beat Wyatt Earp paint gun and an air compressor. You can cover a lot of ground and it looks good.

Latest posts