Aluminium vs Steel

Help Support CattleToday:

dgator

Reaction score
Fixin to buy a stock trailer. Any experience with Aluminum vs steel? TBU in Florida.
16' BP, 4-5 cows.

Aluminum is lighter of course so if your truck is not big on pulling power you might want to go that way. Steel rusts and is heavier. Alum is more $$. I like a gooseneck-goes down the road better. We have an alum combo trailer and really like it. I think we use that trailer almost as much for transporting "stuff" as we do cows. Using it right now to move, works great.

We've had both and there is simply no comparison. The aluminum trailer is far superior in every way. Yes it is pricier but it will last way longer and will save a ton on fuel costs - I get about 3mpg more with the alum. than I did with steel. And I too use it for a lot more than just animals.

Haven't had any trouble with ours. The salesman told us that if your pastures are extremely rough then you could have problems. Been down a lot of rough roads with ours.

I bought my first ever aluminum about 6 months ago... I've had three steels before. In fact, still have the 32' steel, which is a GREAT trailer. Just don't need one that big all the time anymore.

The aluminum is great.. lightweight, well designed and built, and sturdy. I have also heard that they are best not used in pastures because the welds aren't as sturdy, but I think that was true when they first came out. I don't think you'd have to worry about that with the newer ones.

I'd definately go with the aluminum.. especially if you're planning on keeping the trailer for any period of time. It will last longer in the long run.

dgator":pnc3eyx9 said:
Any problems with welds breaking?
No way! We drive like maniacs and we've hauled some real nutty ones without damaging the trailer. Even hauled some horses that spent the entire trip kicking the sides - still no damage.

Bullbuyer":1tkvsib6 said:
dgator":1tkvsib6 said:
No way! We drive like maniacs and we've hauled some real nutty ones without damaging the trailer. Even hauled some horses that spent the entire trip kicking the sides - still no damage.

Those horses stop kicking if you bounce them off the front wall a couple times. :lol:

I like the aluminum trailers but mine is loud and getting a little sloppy. Haven't broke any major welds but have ripped the skid plate in half under the back end. Anything will give if the right moron puts enough pressure on it.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2eogy0ro said:
Bullbuyer":2eogy0ro said:
dgator":2eogy0ro said:

Those horses stop kicking if you bounce them off the front wall a couple times. :lol:

I like the aluminum trailers but mine is loud and getting a little sloppy. Haven't broke any major welds but have ripped the skid plate in half under the back end. Anything will give if the right moron puts enough pressure on it.

cfpinz

Interesting. You alluded to a moron and mentioned you ripping the skid plate. Hmmm

dun

dgator":2qy0fll6 said:
Fixin to buy a stock trailer. Any experience with Aluminum vs steel? TBU in Florida.
16' BP, 4-5 cows.

I haul horses, but go aluminum. The initial cost is more, but it will pay for itself in the long run. I got tired of steel trailers that rusted out from under me long before their time was up. Not to menion that they're heavy as heck!

My husband just got into the Longhorn business and one of these days we'll need a stock trailer. We won't ever own another steel trailer.

john250":1ux6m7x9 said:
Would someone quantify the weight saving with aluminum V. Steel, please. Say, on a 16 ft gooseneck. Or whatever you have experience with.

Had a 20' steel that tipped right at the 5000lb mark depending on how much crap was in it, believe the 20' aluminum weighs around 3300 plus poop. In fairness, I had covered the floor in the steel with 1" rubber mats. Same style trailers.

cfpinz

dun":1rs3iygz said:
Interesting. You alluded to a moron and mentioned you ripping the skid plate. Hmmm

dun

I've never had a problem making fun of myself, I pride myself on being an easy target. Or at least easy...

cfpinz

kjones":26jo1hdf said:
If the welds start cracking, why not just reweld them?

not going to do that with your standard at home welder and make them hold!
need a tig welder to do it properly, and then it takes some experience in heat control or you will do nothing more than good, crystallize the alum and have more damage, best to leave the welding of aluminum to a pro

I understand welding, and what goes along with it. It would be a simple and relatively inexpensive thing to have a welding shop that is set up for it do the job. Oh and it is possible to stick weld aluminum with a rod called certanium 608. It's an alloy made for repairing and joining aluminum.

yes there is a rod for stick welders, i however have not had a lot of luck getting it to do the job that i felt was good enough, much prefer to use my tig unit and do it correctly, better heat control, neater, and stronger, less chance of breaking down the molecules.
JMHO
it also would depend on the type of aluminum being welded!
some 3000 series do not weld well no matter what system you would use, however on a trailer one would feel safe on believing it would be 6061 and 7075 series alum in a t 6 condition'

I agree with you here. I wish I had a tig welder. I don't really need one, but it would be fun to play with and when you do need it you would have it. In addition to being great for aluminum, they work well on thinner metals. All I have right now is my stick machine for fixing equipment.

i wouldn't have a tig machine had i not gotten it from a friend that was going out of business and he owed me sooooooooo
it is great for thing materials that a stick or mig unit burns thru

have even done magniasium(sp) with one, not for the faint of heart lol sure wouldn't try that with a stick welder

You are a braver soul than me for welding magnesium. I know what that stuff can do on fire. :shock:

Latest posts