Hawaii Homes vs. The Volcano

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Heard that these houses aren't covered by insurance for volcanos so folks are being advised to call and state that it was a fire and not a volcano. Is that insurance fraud or no? Any insurance folks on here?

Not an insurance guy but I suspect when the adjuster comes out and sees what is left of your home congealed in cooled lava they will know it wasn't just any old fire that got your home. That's terrible and I feel for the people but I suspect they knew this when they built their homes and bought insurance.

Probably costs an arm and a leg for volcano coverage, and most home owners probably figured it wouldn't happen in their life time.

Txpiney":lyyyqpgn said:
Probably costs an arm and a leg for volcano coverage, and most home owners probably figured it wouldn't happen in their life time.

I bought a house after a flood. Got a good deal on it and don't have flood insurance. I hope it never floods again. Getting flood insurance on it wasn't possible so I guess I can relate to people who have a volcano in their backyard but if things do get bad again I won't be expecting anyone to bail me out because I was the one who tossed the dice and lost.

Jogeephus":2h46dkl5 said:
Txpiney":2h46dkl5 said:

I bought a house after a flood. Got a good deal on it and don't have flood insurance. I hope it never floods again. Getting flood insurance on it wasn't possible so I guess I can relate to people who have a volcano in their backyard but if things do get bad again I won't be expecting anyone to bail me out because I was the one who tossed the dice and lost.

Wish more people had that viewpoint.

Building next to a volcano, on the side of a cliff, or next to a flood levee never seemed like very smart practices to me.

Have you seen the video of the bran new car sitting on the side of the road with the lava moving toward it and eventually engulfing it and burning it up? Maybe its just me but I think I'd have moved the car rather than videoing it.

I don't know, they might make more if it goes big-time viral. News outlets will pay to use it and they can get revenue from Youtube.

Bestoutwest":1jlvlkus said:
I don't know, they might make more if it goes big-time viral. News outlets will pay to use it and they can get revenue from Youtube.

Ah yes. There is that. I imagine before long we will be reading about some bozo burning up in the lava while trying to get that money shot for YouTube. If I'm not mistaken there is already one of these incidents involving a tornado.

backhoeboogie":2xe5cgeh said:
You might be able to afford a house there now. Timing is everything.

I looked it up yesterday and there were two listings in that specific subdivision. One was $245k, which I thought was rather cheap. I bet they'd take a lot less right now.

Everyone seems concerned about the people and their homes but what about the local government? What will this do to their tax base? Do you think they'll just jack up the taxes on the remaining homes?

Gotta be cheapest farm land available in the USA, and should be full of croppers. Just think, virgin cleared ground. But it may be a tad rocky.

I wouldn't think so because it has alot of gas in it that when it cools, tends to make the "rock" part of it more brittle. Maybe if it is crushed and used. It is also supposed to be very sharp edged. The lava beds in the southwest are supposed to have alot of "caverns" beneath where the cooled lava formed brittle coverings when the gases escaped and were treacherous to traverse. How long would it take for it to cool off?
I think that lava is more scary than hurricanes or tornadoes or even floods.

That slow moving lava would give a person time to pack up and get out of the way. Unlike when St Helen blew her top with 400 MPH scorching hot winds that killed everything in its path.

Aaron":1dnm2nr2 said:
Gotta be cheapest farm land available in the USA, and should be full of croppers. Just think, virgin cleared ground. But it may be a tad rocky.

No weeds

Latest posts