Hawaii Homes vs. The Volcano

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan":3rziz94r said:
I wouldn't think so because it has alot of gas in it that when it cools, tends to make the "rock" part of it more brittle. Maybe if it is crushed and used. It is also supposed to be very sharp edged. The lava beds in the southwest are supposed to have alot of "caverns" beneath where the cooled lava formed brittle coverings when the gases escaped and were treacherous to traverse. How long would it take for it to cool off?
I think that lava is more scary than hurricanes or tornadoes or even floods.

Workinonit Farm":3rziz94r said:
slick4591":3rziz94r said:
I wonder if cool lava makes a good foundation?

It's too porous. Not enough strength.

Where's that winky emoticon when you need it? lol

Workinonit Farm":2htltn2q said:
slick4591":2htltn2q said:

As opposed to the "million dollar" houses on the side of the sand cliffs in California that fall off of the cliff when it rains ?

backhoeboogie":3v67as06 said:
Workinonit Farm":3v67as06 said:
slick4591":3v67as06 said:

As opposed to the "million dollar" houses on the side of the sand cliffs in California that fall off of the cliff when it rains ?

Insert laughing emoticons here........ 3 of them! :) Why people do that, I will never know. As much as I like the beach, and a view of the water is wonderful, I'd rather no have a house built right at the edge of a cliff, or on the beach, 200 feet from the shoreline. I guess these folks are unaware of what a hurricane can do. (insert rolling eyes emoticon)

What they are telling people, is to say the house caught BEFORE the lava pushed it over.

It's kinda the same deal I saw after hurricane Ike on the coast. People with no flood ins saying the wind knocked their homes down instead of the waves, or before the water got that high.
They could at least claim Texas Windstorm..an insurance of last resort available only for 14 coastal counties plus Harris county. It doesn't pay as good as homeowners or flood insurance but better than nothing.

sim.-ang.king":2gte0eup said:
Building next to a volcano, on the side of a cliff, or next to a flood levee never seemed like very smart practices to me.
What do Cottage Grove, Wabash Valley, New Madrid faults all have in common?

Jogeephus":1im9in9d said:
Everyone seems concerned about the people and their homes but what about the local government? What will this do to their tax base? Do you think they'll just jack up the taxes on the remaining homes?

Should be a great tourist attraction. We need to set up a gift shop and lava bar complex before eveyone else get in on it!!!

Stocker Steve":2zii6nj0 said:
Jogeephus":2zii6nj0 said:
Everyone seems concerned about the people and their homes but what about the local government? What will this do to their tax base? Do you think they'll just jack up the taxes on the remaining homes?

Should be a great tourist attraction. We need to set up a gift shop and lava bar complex before eveyone else get in on it!!!

Sssshhhhhh, I'm already on it.

10991462_1419781911653037_3052671434903544848_o.jpg

greybeard":8maaytzx said:
What they are telling people, is to say the house caught BEFORE the lava pushed it over.

It's kinda the same deal I saw after hurricane Ike on the coast. People with no flood ins saying the wind knocked their homes down instead of the waves, or before the water got that high.
They could at least claim Texas Windstorm..an insurance of last resort available only for 14 coastal counties plus Harris county. It doesn't pay as good as homeowners or flood insurance but better than nothing.

Can the area you live in flood again next year and wipe out any improvements people have done to get back into their homes. Mother nature is not someone that you can stop when she goes on a rampage. So how high was the water mama.

greybeard":155f9tx8 said:
sim.-ang.king":155f9tx8 said:
Building next to a volcano, on the side of a cliff, or next to a flood levee never seemed like very smart practices to me.

All are fault lines through the United states. and nearly connected in line.

Workinonit Farm":1h67jap0 said:
Insert laughing emoticons here........ 3 of them! :) Why people do that, I will never know. As much as I like the beach, and a view of the water is wonderful, I'd rather no have a house built right at the edge of a cliff, or on the beach, 200 feet from the shoreline. I guess these folks are unaware of what a hurricane can do. (insert rolling eyes emoticon)
They're fine as long as some stupid insurance agent is willing to write an insurance policy covering house and contents.

hurleyjd":2gqfcjrk said:
greybeard":2gqfcjrk said:
sim.-ang.king":2gqfcjrk said:

All can and have affected Southern Illinois.

Point is, no matter where you live (there you are) there's always a tornado, a hurricane, a volcano, an intergalactic plague, a wildfire, a flood, or a drought, or an Arquillian battle cruiser about to wipe out life on this miserable little planet and the only way people can get on with their happy lives is that they do not think about it or dwell upon it..

greybeard":1zx3crx8 said:
hurleyjd":1zx3crx8 said:
greybeard":1zx3crx8 said:

Point is, no matter where you live (there you are) there's always a tornado, a hurricane, a volcano, an intergalactic plague, a wildfire, a flood, or a drought, or an Arquillian battle cruiser about to wipe out life on this miserable little planet and the only way people can get on with their happy lives is that they do not think about it or dwell upon it..
Arqyilian Battle Cruiser......good one greybeard.

greybeard":gn0gsm3k said:
hurleyjd":gn0gsm3k said:
greybeard":gn0gsm3k said:

True, but we don't get an earth quake every time it rains, or have lava actively pouring out of the ground. :lol:

I called my insurance agent immediately after reading this and added volcano insurance. She tried to tell me it wasn't necessary but I'm much smarter than that.

ohiosteve":1lgeaxmp said:
I called my insurance agent immediately after reading this and added volcano insurance. She tried to tell me it wasn't necessary but I'm much smarter than that.

When the Yellowstone Caldera blows........

Yellowstone is probably too far west to directly affect the Ohio valley much, other than steam and ash.
New Madrid might be a worse scenario...