Chicken vs Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":3jtwrif9 said:
shaz":3jtwrif9 said:
Can't imagine ANY farmer owns enough chickens to keep up with production.
IF not from farms where do you think chickens come from?

Can you imagine ANY farmer selling enough steers direct to a packer to earn a volume bonus?

Any farmer owns enough...

These chickens are mostly owned by Tyson and such.

One of the things you sometimes find is a company or a producer who is making good money in a break even, or unprofitable, industry. They usually have a better brand name or better marketing or both. The not -so-good marketing group often reacts with more cost cutting or more complaining or lower salaries or more volume...

Which group are we in?

shaz":3rm0pe39 said:
shaz":3rm0pe39 said:

And that is one of Shenandoah's selling points... Farmer owned... rather than the industry standard indentured servitude model used by Tyson ect.

Stocker Steve":3a652dy1 said:
One of the things you sometimes find is a company or a producer who is making good money in a break even, or unprofitable, industry. They usually have a better brand name or better marketing or both. The not -so-good marketing group often reacts with more cost cutting or more complaining or lower salaries or more volume...

Which group are we in?

Bad marketing. I couldn't be a salesman or politician if my life depended on it.

dieselbeef":2lexnqio said:
people will buy whatever is cheapest 90% of the time..wanna get rich..market to poor people

If you wanna get rich, sell the feathers and eat the beef. No kidding a "jungle cock" cape just sold on ebay for $435, Yes Just the cape of feathers from around the cocks neck. It seems there is big business in this from fly tying.

So I am checking my Amerucuanas closely. Really close. If any of them still have the "eye" pattern in their feathers I will no longer throw the feathers in the trash can. I will cape every dang one of them from now on.

The people paying big bucks don't care if the feathers are from GMO free, cage free, free range, open range etc. All natural feathers are going on the end of a fishing fly.

Yes I have bee gullible enough to throw feathers away when I plucked a chicken.

Son of Butch":hr5ezdig said:
shaz":hr5ezdig said:
shaz":hr5ezdig said:

And that is one of Shenandoah's selling points... Farmer owned... rather than the industry standard indentured servitude model used by Tyson ect.
Must be a little profit in it. Folks are throwing up 8 or 10 of those new chicken houses as fast as they can get them built. Same for turkey farmers.

shaz":15ezn1yl said:
Stocker Steve":15ezn1yl said:

Which group are we in?

Bad marketing. I couldn't be a salesman or politician if my life depended on it.

Nothing in the world moves without a salesman getting the ball rolling.

TexasBred":250h9hrv said:
Must be a little profit in it. Folks are throwing up 8 or 10 of those new chicken houses as fast as they can get them built. Same for turkey farmers.
Yeah....the litter sells for $35 a ton....... :D

1982vett":3lecf6br said:
TexasBred":3lecf6br said:
Yeah....the litter sells for $35 a ton....... :D

That's kind of chicken chit aint it ?

I'm probably going to buy gray jungle fowl eggs, incubate them, and line breed some, if they'll breed, to my Amerucuanas

If this doesn't work its not a big loss.

backhoeboogie":z403c0fv said:
I'm probably going to buy gray jungle fowl eggs, incubate them, and line breed some, if they'll breed, to my Amerucuanas

Annual egg production for the grey jungle fowl is low about 24 a year.

jehosofat":39z35fi4 said:
shaz":39z35fi4 said:
Stocker Steve":39z35fi4 said:

Which group are we in?

Four thousand years ago Samson slew a thousand Philistines with the jawbone of an a$$....everyday thousands of sales are killed with the same weapon.

jehosofat":14z3mpxf said:
shaz":14z3mpxf said:
Stocker Steve":14z3mpxf said:

Which group are we in?

Really? Can't think of a single instance where the product didn't sell it'self and the salesman was just a dummy load for the air conditioner.

greybeard":2bvcpafy said:
GA.prime..do you not remember when whole chickens in the grocery store were that big..30-40 years ago?
Then, they became little scrawny things for 10-15 years and now have become 5 pounders again.
(not sure what happened during the 'scrawny' era, but there sure wasn't much to a 'fryer' at that time..)

About the time that BO Pilgrim was not selling the fat yellar chicken.

I would be interested in how the feed side of this actually operates. How are they going to keep everyone profitable across the board? I'm all for value added but in the chicken industry its just my personal opinion but rarely does the producer actually add to their profit off of the parent company's profit. Tournament system feed model being a prime example. Anyone whos been around that knows what kinda disaster that is.

j_20":1g175syp said:
I would be interested in how the feed side of this actually operates. How are they going to keep everyone profitable across the board? I'm all for value added but in the chicken industry its just my personal opinion but rarely does the producer actually add to their profit off of the parent company's profit. Tournament system feed model being a prime example. Anyone whos been around that knows what kinda disaster that is.
I know little to nothing about it other than days on the various stages of feed comes into the equation which would include feed conversion rates, along with survival rate. Been told producers earn bonus' based on these and other factors which all lead to more profitability for the company.

Yes that is true but its all at the mercy of the parent company. The chicks come from the company the feed comes from the company the producer has little control. So you could do everything right but just have a sick batch of birds and your neighbor could do the exact same with healthy birds they received and you would take a hit while they got a bonus.

j_20":2v7ct8f9 said:
Yes that is true but its all at the mercy of the parent company. The chicks come from the company the feed comes from the company the producer has little control. So you could do everything right but just have a sick batch of birds and your neighbor could do the exact same with healthy birds they received and you would take a hit while they got a bonus.
True but not likely.

hurleyjd":22ra7epo said:
backhoeboogie":22ra7epo said:

Annual egg production for the grey jungle fowl is low about 24 a year.

AI the from the rooster

Latest posts