Starting shots today

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
-- on our new donor cow. And the semen we were hoping to use just got delivered TODAY!! Just purchased her out of the Gettysburg Stars & Stripes Sale. She's a 5 year old with a great temperament. Fits into our herd really well. Here's a few pics of her - yes, I "took" her halter off. Sale manager wanted a good pic to sell embryos. Do you like the 1st or 2nd pic for promotion? I know, I know, everyone will like the 3rd pic!

Gina_3109_crop_pix.jpg

Gina_3115_sign_crop_pix.jpg

and here she is doing what she does best!
Gina_3118_crop_pix.jpg

well, hopefully the pics come out complete (the preview cut off the right side).

Very nice cow, I like the second pic with your sign and her neck is not to stretched.

Nice cow Jeanne... wrong color but... ;-)

Who is she?

In all honesty I like the 3rd pic. #2 would be better if the sign didn't have a glare; I don't like the angle on #1. I know you want a flashy pic for promotion but she self-promotes on the 3rd pic.

(edited for bad typemanship)

Jeanne,
You'll hate me for this answer.... neither.
Picture one looks photoshopped in the neck area. I know all you did is take off the halter because you say that is what you did but to other who may want to buy embryos, they might get a bit paranoid that you did some extra work on it. The back legs look just a little funky too, maybe she is twisting her body? Or it is the photo angle? However, her front legs look much better in the first than second picture.
The third picture actually does make her look best (I know it isn't in the running) but her legs look more square and her top line looks better than in picture number 2, probably because of the squareness of the sign. I guess if I had to choose one it would be 2, don't get me wrong, she looks like a really nice cow, just think she could look even better than she does there. Very nice calf too.:)
PS- I HATE taking cow pictures, I know how hard it is. Taking pics of our bulls this year was a nightmare.

Hubby does not like pic 1. She IS twisting her body a little, throwing her shoulder out. I liked how high she extended her neck. Sorry, but if someone could "extend" the necks on a picture --- that's way above my level of expertise. I can "erase" things.
If the camera level had been a tad higher, her topline would have looked better in both #1 & #2. Picture taker would have been 1/2 way bewteen standing & squating :shock:
Gads!!! it really is tough getting "that right pic" for advertising.

Nice looking cow but I think you can get a better picture.If I were to buy a flush I would buy from the third picture.Funny how people sell eggs from cows they don't breed or own for several years first,but I guess you gots to strike when the irons hot.

EAT BEEF":1pyv86ju said:
Nice looking cow but I think you can get a better picture.If I were to buy a flush I would buy from the third picture.Funny how people sell eggs from cows they don't breed or own for several years first,but I guess you gots to strike when the irons hot.

She's a 5 year old cow. How much older would you have her be before you flushed her. I think we can assume that Jeanne researched the cow pretty thouroughly and knows that she has already produced some outstanding offspring or she would not have bought her for a flush cow.

I feel she stands out better in #1 and #2 because of the good background; however I don't like the way she stands in these. I feel she stands better in the third picture although the calf blocks the full profile. If it was me I'd go and take another two photos. One photo would have her standing as she is in #3, but without the calf and in the second photo I would have them both standing up in a similar manner and facing the same direction. The cow will sell herself, but the calf is always the 'icing' on the cake. In my opinion a good calf will convince the potential buyer to make the purchase. But I agree it is easier said than done when trying to get that 'ideal' photo.

You need to incorporate #2 and #3 together. 2 as the large shot as that emphasizes your name and the flush cow herself and #2 that shows off her potential.

She is Homozygous Black, so I wanted a Homo bull - we're using TNT Ever Ready this go-around. She's been flushed before - her embryos are a saleable item. We will flush her again & plan on breeding her for a fall calf.
We have a number of cows in our herd deserving of being flushed, but unless they have some sort of national recognition, it's tough to sell embryos. Every Joe Blow can flush their "great" cow and that's fine if you are wanting to just add more of her genetics to your herd. But, we're looking for a saleable item. Yes, we will put some of her embryos in our cows ("assuming" we get some!!) We have 4 calves on the ground & 6 pregnancies out of our first flush dam "B&B Miss Power Lass".

Here's a modified version of #2 - I played with the pic - if you enlarge big enough you can still see some red on her back (erasing is fun :banana: ).
Gina_3115_sign_out_crop_pix.jpg

In pic #3 she just looks too plain for advertising - yes, she's natural looking, but sure doesn't "show-off" her feminine front end.

Audie-Wy - is that what you meant - I didn't dare try to take it off the face. Just the slightest bad erase will make her face look funky.
RedCow - she is EBS Savannah Gina #2332309 - she's a Kilowat out of Triple C SheSavannah K137

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate your looking. We are really happy to add her to our herd.

3waycross":o2soeahf said:
EAT BEEF":o2soeahf said:

She's a 5 year old cow. How much older would you have her be before you flushed her. I think we can assume that Jeanne researched the cow pretty thouroughly and knows that she has already produced some outstanding offspring or she would not have bought her for a flush cow.

I figure Jeanne knows whats she is doing.I just wouldn't do it and sure wouldn't do it if I had a whole herd of cows I thought were good enough to flush,but there not my cows.The good thing is we can all do what we want and whine about what we don't like.

Rocket - You did great!!! her head looks good - didn't distort it.
Eat Beef - I totally understand what you are trying to say. I don't like to PR someone else's farm - we never (well shouldn't say NEVER) -- we rarely show anything that isn't our prefix. But, I'm looking at this as an income maker. She has national recognition & is saleable.

Latest posts