Starting light unweaned calves ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have seen some different set ups. Most have a lot of bunk space to help get calves on feed. Do you have any set up tips here?

Also, what do you think is an ideal size group to monitor and get on feed for the first week?

Unweaned means I want to start them out in a dry lot with 2ft bunk space per head. I do groups of 15 but that has more to do with what I have time for and the size of my trailer than being an ideal number. Usually I can get them running to the bunk within two weeks.
Also, because they are unweaned I expect to make no progress or go in reverse the first month.

I'm really not a stocker though. I just play the market once a year.

I buy light 3 wt. calves weekly so I figure few are weaned. My starter lot is 200' X 300' and located
next to my working facilities. It has a couple of shade trees, a big water trough, a hay feeder and
a line of concrete troughs. I pick up calves a couple of evenings during the week and unload directly
into the lot. I feed a high-fiber feed and keep the troughs full. Some calves will get off the trailer
and get a drink of water and go to eating, and some will walk the lot for a day or two before they
really get to eating, but most will eat hay until they learn what feed is. I try to keep my weekly
numbers to 20-30 head. I work the calves on Saturday morning and I pull back tags, eartag, brand,
vaccinate and give antibiotics. On Sunday I turn the calves into a 5 acre trap with a self-feeder and
they stay there for 3 weeks, at which time I booster upper-respiratory vaccination, blackleg,
castrate and dehorn. After this time I sort cattle into load lots and move to new larger traps with
self-feeders and what grazing is available.

I try to drag my lot and starter traps weekly and I clean water troughs at that time. I also like to
keep a few longhorn steers and I usually put one in with each new group to help them teach the
calves where water and feed are. The lot and smaller traps help when I have sickness and make
it easier to pull sick calves. My wife and I do the work, and I think keeping the calves as quiet as
possible really helps with the stress.

Lane

Don't give em enough room to walk themselves to death, keep your best smelling hay in front of them, start them on a bulky feed, and vaccinate for everything.

Latest posts