Standing up for the little guy.

Help Support CattleToday:

Northern Rancher":3sej30hv said:
There's alot of guys who know a thousand ways to make love but have never had a girlfriend!!!!

Yep! yer sure right about that, and let's not forget they live on both sides of the border(Canadian/American) and the Mason Dixon line.

Northern Rancher":ioiifzdy said:
There's alot of guys who know a thousand ways to make love but have never had a girlfriend!!!!

Now don't go off on the gay issue, lets stick with the cattle debate :D

KNERSIE":2t34em8m said:
Well done little guy!

I must warn you though that your cattle are still useless in the eyes of the big'ns from up north because they have good phenotype, can hold their own without muscle degeneration and they are sound on their legs.

You going to have to cut these northern guy's a little slack Knersie, after all, they still think horned stock the way to go. :lol:

Northern Rancher":1xdx2kdt said:

There's a lot of guys who've had a thousand girlfriends, ( well not quite that many ) :) and still don't know how to make love!!! :roll: :lol:

We might not know how to primp a bull for show or take a picture in South africa but we do know what cattle work up here-see we make ALL our living off them-kind of makes it a whole different deal-I like rockets cattle though. Your better of running 50 cows and treating them like you have 500 then running 500 and babying them like they are 50.

Northern Rancher":2lnlrcmk said:
Your better of running 50 cows and treating them like you have 500 then running 500 and babying them like they are 50.

:clap:

Sure makes it easier if your goal is to expand from a humble beginning too.

I started out with at lot less than ten cows-no water developed-no land fenced and a massey 88 tractor-the sad thing is our market isn't much over what is was then-might even be a bit worse on cows-life is never dull.

I assume this was meant for me...

Northern Rancher":1kaegc84 said:
We might not know how to primp a bull for show or take a picture in South africa but we do know what cattle work up here

Some do, some quite obviously don't.

-see we make ALL our living off them-kind of makes it a whole different deal

So do I, what makes the deal that different? Hang on, aren't you a representative for a semen company? So I guess the deal is different I make all my living off farming, without the luxury of an off farm income.

-I like rockets cattle though.

So do I, still a different type than what I breed, but I can appreciate their quality.

Your better of running 50 cows and treating them like you have 500 then running 500 and babying them like they are 50.

I have way more than 50 and way fewer than 500, I don't feed grain, I rarely even have hay, I seldom buy straw, I have a few planted pastures, but not even enough to run the replacements on.

I am a pretty decent stockman though and I pride myself on that, i'm not making excuses for that. I also work very hard to improve the quality and quantity of my grazing, that is just good farming practice. I fail to see your point or why you decided to to take me on personally when I never even responded to one of your posts that I can remember.

AngusLimoX":3hf8xhlc said:
Northern Rancher":3hf8xhlc said:
Ohh don't worry knersie I don't think anybody is going to take my advice over yours.

Anyone who takes any advice in here with more than a grain of salt is an internet Forrest Gump.
I beg to differ with you. I have taken the advice from some of the people on the boards. I have profited from them. I have learned new ways of doing things I never new existed. I have learned not to do some of the things I was doing as they were not necessary. Why? Because I am open minded enough to listen.
As far as cutting down some people that show cattle, maybe they do it because their cattle do not have the conformation to show. People that show cattle spend a lot of time improving the breed so others can benefit. Of course they put the lipstick on what they are showing but don't most women do the same. Simply more eye appealing. Fat on an animal has nothing to do with wither they can make it or not. The way I read some of these posts is that if you feed some grain to a bull that it somehow changes what they are and will never make it on grass. Well that is pure bull manure.
I listen to all the advice. Even dumb azzs can be right sometimes.

Rocket - great looking cattle. You're not used to getting quite that much snow, are you? This Eastern storm was quite a doosy - we lucked out & it missed us.
Novatech - well said.
Some people have this "thing" about people that show cattle. What's the big deal? It's not like we show our entire herd. Paleaze!! I run over 50 head but only show 4-5 each year. Yes, those 5 get really pampered. But the advertising I get from showing is the cheapest form of advertising that PAYS FOR ITSELF than I could do. I cannot expect to get top dollars for my breeding stock, if noone knows who we are - or know what kind of cattle I raise. Whether we win or not (but we usually do pretty well!), people SEE our cattle & decide for themselves if we raise the kind of cattle that will work in their opperation. And, every head of cattle we have shown, has gotten turned out with the herd & gone right to work with their piers - never to be pampered again - and usually make us a good return.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":37kfq5ei said:
Rocket - great looking cattle. You're not used to getting quite that much snow, are you? This Eastern storm was quite a doosy - we lucked out & it missed us.
Novatech - well said.
Some people have this "thing" about people that show cattle. What's the big deal? It's not like we show our entire herd. Paleaze!! I run over 50 head but only show 4-5 each year. Yes, those 5 get really pampered. But the advertising I get from showing is the cheapest form of advertising that PAYS FOR ITSELF than I could do. I cannot expect to get top dollars for my breeding stock, if noone knows who we are - or know what kind of cattle I raise. Whether we win or not (but we usually do pretty well!), people SEE our cattle & decide for themselves if we raise the kind of cattle that will work in their opperation. And, every head of cattle we have shown, has gotten turned out with the herd & gone right to work with their piers - never to be pampered again - and usually make us a good return.

Thanks. Actually it wasn't to bad for us either, got 15". Normally we seem to get the worst of it here in Shenandoah Valley right next to the Blue Ridge Mountains, didn't work out that way this time though. Spent the day after plowing mine and 4 of the neighbors driveways out, I enjoyed it in some ways.

We all have a beginning..... somewhere..... I started out with 6 cows and then 3 years ago when hubby and I got married he had 12 cows and I had 16. We've now mushroomed up to 59. Give me about 2 or 3 more years and we'll have over 100.

Those are nice looking cattle. I really like the bull.

We get "some" snow most days. Up to 12" at a time is "no big deal". Over that, makes for quite a bit of work.
Right now, we've been in & out of "storms", and in-between we're getting lake affect snow. Got about 6" yesterday, 4" last night, and it's still snowing. The biggest thing is the WIND. Man it's brutal out. We have had more wind the past couple of weeks. I "enjoy" the snow, even the cold, but HATE the WIND! so hard on the cattle. nasty - nasty

Northern Rancher":2h5k094z said:
Ohh don't worry knersie I don't think anybody is going to take my advice over yours.
you might be surprised at the ones that listen northern, i dont set at the feet of any of you guys hanging on ever word, but i will listen to experience

novatech":m73gixc0 said:
I listen to all the advice. Even dumb azzs can be right sometimes.

You have the experience and knowledge to differentiate the reliable from the unreliable and you will weigh that against what is posted.

Others appear to have a greater degree of dependence on the internet than they should.

Plenty of people on here have experience with cattle and have very few now or none. While I have just a few cows I enjoy helping my neighbor out and he has a few hundred. I'd like to think I'm learning from his experience as well as my experiences helping him out. I'm not gonna stop posting my opinions just because I don't have enough cows. Big time ranchers giving us little guys krap is like a farmer giving a gardner krap. Its ridiculous.

Walt

Don't group ALL posters in one catagory. I don't care how MANY head of cattle anyone has. A good queston is a good question. It IS irritating when people post asking questions that plain ole common sense should take care of. I really think there are people with cattle (as pets?), that never even owned a dog or cat or had to be responsible for their care.
But, when someone goes to the Beginners Board - it shouldn't make any difference how "dumb" their question might be, we should be willing to "walk" them thru the problem.

Latest posts