stacking rounds on top of each other end to end

Help Support CattleToday:

I tried my pallet forks. I can pick them up just fine. The trouble is getting the forks out from underneath the bale. The forks are so wide, about 4" that their is a lot of friction and as I try to pull out the forks the bale above comes with it. Took me 3 times as long to stack one row with the forks as opposed to the spike. At least with the single spike, I can gas the tractor and back up fast to get the spike out. Try that with the pallet forks and the bale will come down.

Once you drop a net wrapped bale or move it or more than once or twice, the net is about shot.

How much easier does the two spike rig work? Easier to pull out after stacking?

MasseyFerg":3h0p6pac said:
I tried my pallet forks. I can pick them up just fine. The trouble is getting the forks out from underneath the bale. The forks are so wide, about 4" that their is a lot of friction and as I try to pull out the forks the bale above comes with it. Took me 3 times as long to stack one row with the forks as opposed to the spike. At least with the single spike, I can gas the tractor and back up fast to get the spike out. Try that with the pallet forks and the bale will come down.

Once you drop a net wrapped bale or move it or more than once or twice, the net is about shot.

How much easier does the two spike rig work? Easier to pull out after stacking?
The trick is to slide the bake off without your forks touching the bale below so it just slides. When you pull up don't go up so far, then start slightly tilting your forks forward till the bake just slides off and into place.

When we stacked them in a column I used an old fork lift with hyd. adjustable forks to squeeze. I can definitely get more hay in the barn.
I noticed a thin film of dust between the rolls where the ends met. It was not much but if I was selling hay I am sure someone would say something. I was told that the rolls continue to cure and that is where the light white dust of mold came from.

I wonder how hard it would be to make standard forks adjustable with hydraulics? With the quick attach loaders on many tractors now as well as skid steers it seems like it would be a handy option. Might be a nice winter project to try.

MasseyFerg":i2pj4y7k said:
i am talking about stacking the hay in a barn on top of each other on their ends not their sides. So far pdfangus has said that he used his pallet forks to stack them. What does everybody else use? I have saw videos of farmers sticking them in the side with dual spikes but wondered about tearing up the net wrap or twine.

Thanks

We just use the bucket on our skidloader & put a chain around the top,which we remove when bale is in place. Of course the third row takes a second person willing to climb.

Latest posts