stacking rounds on top of each other end to end

Help Support CattleToday:

MasseyFerg

Reaction score
What do you use to stack your round bales on top of each other, end to end? A 3 forked spike or one of the grabbers or what? if u use the two or three forked thing do you put the bottom two spikes under the bale or stick them in it?

If you use spikes and stick the bale thru the side how much does that tear up the net wrap?

do you leave any space between the stacks or bunch them against each other?

MasseyFerg":3dmiggs8 said:
What do you use to stack your round bales on top of each other, end to end? A 3 forked spike or one of the grabbers or what? if u use the two or three forked thing do you put the bottom two spikes under the bale or stick them in it?

If you use spikes and stick the bale thru the side how much does that tear up the net wrap?

I stack mine five high on the side because my loader wouldn't get that height end to end with just a spear. If I stacked them on end I would still push them tight.

fitz

MasseyFerg":374473gs said:

I assume you are putting these under cover?

Otherwise you will lose a bunch when they get wet.

No matter how you stack them - if they are not covered when stacked, there is significant loss when they are rained upon - the moisture will be trapped and rot begins.

If not covered, I recommend you simply place them in long rows - end to end and pushed tight together. North to south is the best - and be sure the rows do not touch.

We used to use a grapple - but no longer stack on end as we do not sell hay any more - we keep it all and will feed old hay when we are in trouble - like this year - fortunately we managed to finish a decent second cut last week.

The only advantage to stacking on end is the bales keep their shape - makes a nicer truck load.

A lot of info here, but you did not provide much in your opening comment to tell us why you were doing this, and where you were doing this.

Hope all works out for you

Best to all

Bez

Like Hook said but would add, run the row North/South so the sun can dry the dew of both sides during the day. I have a three prong bale spear setup on my FEL and I always go for the center of the bale. And yes, trying to stick them in the side often messes up the net wrap. If I had the money, the equipment and the right hay barn I would stack them on end for efficiency sake.

I have found for me that the rolls that want fit in my barn, rot worse when stacked. I have also never found a tarp that I like either. I place them end to end in rows. Preferably on two light poles side by side. I feed them first, and leave my barn hay for later. I have a neighbor that stacks on light poles. Places a row of old barn tin on top of it with tires, and blocks holding the tin down. It looks good when he feeds it. He also only has 10 or 12 cows.

WE STACKED VERTICALLY END TO END FOR OVER TWENTY YEARS.
4 FT X 5 FT BALES....SIDE BY SIDE FOUR ACROSS
STACKED THREE HIGH AND USED PALLET FORKS ON THE FRONT END LOADER.
12 BALES IN A ROW. MADE IT A SNAP TO COUNT HAY.
HAD A POLE BARN ROOF ONLY WITH A ROCK DUST FLOOR....
HAY WOULD STAY GOOD FOR YEARS....
ALSO LOOKED NEAT AND YOU COULD GET MORE HAY UNDER ROOF THAN STACKING ROLLS ON THE SIDE. MY NEW NEIGHBOR USES THE OLD BARN AND STACKS ROLLS ON THE SIDE AND THEY FALL DOWN AND SETTLE AND LOOK LIKE CRAP...
OF COURSE HIS HAY IS MADE BY A DIFFERENT GUY WITH A DIFFERENT BALER AS WELL....BUT HIS IS NET WRAPPED AND OURS WAS JUST TWINE WRAPPED.

i am talking about stacking the hay in a barn on top of each other on their ends not their sides. So far pdfangus has said that he used his pallet forks to stack them. What does everybody else use? I have saw videos of farmers sticking them in the side with dual spikes but wondered about tearing up the net wrap or twine.

Thanks

if the bale is loose enough to spear it from the side then you ought to darn near be able to stack em by hand.

a set of pallet forks to go on the front end loader is not very expensive.

Just use pallet forks on FEL. Slide them under the bale, do not stab the bale. Then set them on top of each other. It won't work with a 3 spike, have to use 2spike pallet forks.

I use forks also. But towards the middle of the pole barn I stack 4 high. I set 1 on top of the other and set them on top of the 2 bottom rolls to get to 4 high. And the hay looks great when we feed it also.

MasseyFerg":1mc16mh7 said:
i am talking about stacking the hay in a barn on top of each other on their ends not their sides. So far pdfangus has said that he used his pallet forks to stack them. What does everybody else use? I have saw videos of farmers sticking them in the side with dual spikes but wondered about tearing up the net wrap or twine.

Thanks

Yep.. dual or triple spikes will tear up the net. If you are going to stack them end to end..using a pallet fork would be best.
Why are you stacking them that way?

Limomike":1ytfw9sc said:
MasseyFerg":1ytfw9sc said:

Thanks

Yep.. dual or triple spikes will tear up the net. If you are going to stack them end to end..using a pallet fork would be best.
You can get a whole lot more in a barn like that, and it helps the bale hold it's shape.

I guess so.. I just dont wanna mess with the more trouble it seems to stack em or getem outta the barn that way..and you can still tear up the string or netwrap using the pallet forks... plus I like to spear em .. easier and quicker to take em where I want em.

Isomade":29w6r533 said:
You can get a whole lot more in a barn like that, and it helps the bale hold it's shape.

There is no way I could ever get spears into the side of one of my bales. It is hard enough to get them in the end after James T bales them. Stacking on end is best if you have a set of forks but then if your selling it is easier to load onto a trailer with spears as the forks will tear up the netting.
What I would like is a double spear, both on bottom, so I could also use them as forks.

Limomike":2fz8ju4s said:
MasseyFerg":2fz8ju4s said:

Thanks

i can get more hay in the barn.

I agree with you MasseyFerg, I used to stack round bales in the barn on end and could really pack it full. I used pallet forks on a skid-loader and would even stack 2 and pick them up carefully for the top row and could really get them high. When getting bales out of the field I found if I spread the forks as wide as possible I could spear two at a time through the core and save time transporting them.

I always stackedmy bottom 2 bales on end by just spearing them in the end then dumping them off
then sat the 3rd row on its round side then stacked the 4th row in the valleys
with a uneven sized bale (4x5 5x6) you can get more hay in the barn by doing it that way than you can by stacking them all on end even if you don't have the 4th row because every 4 or 5 rows you will gain an extra row on the 3rd row

I use a hay spear . My barn will hold 10 bales wide . I stack the bottom row on end . Then I put the next 2 rows in a pyramid that way I can get 10 bales on the second row also . It allows me to get more hay in the barn . I tried it with the pallet forks but I'm not good enough to not rip the net .

Angus Cowman":2nbyn1rq said:
I always stackedmy bottom 2 bales on end by just spearing them in the end then dumping them off
then sat the 3rd row on its round side then stacked the 4th row in the valleys
with a uneven sized bale (4x5 5x6) you can get more hay in the barn by doing it that way than you can by stacking them all on end even if you don't have the 4th row because every 4 or 5 rows you will gain an extra row on the 3rd row

Stacked them this way for a long time, since a MF35X was the loader tractor, only it could not reach the 4th row even with 4X4's

Latest posts