SPRING STORMS

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":32vtgic1 said:
Depending on how accurate the WLs are, we may get to try out our new "fraidy hole" the next couple of days. That's coupled with the flooding that they're predicting

We had some thunderstorms roll through after midnight last night. Got 7/10 of an inch of rain. Wind was a bit strong, but no hail or wind damage. We sure were glad to get the rain. It's been dry, dry, dry. We had unusually good rains in August and almost none since.

Well, the front just blew thru, wind did a 180 and temps dropped 16 degrees in about 2 seconds. Got enough moisture to drip off the roof.

Just rain and little lightening here, of course the same winds that we've had it seems all winter.

Line of storms just went through here. Even had a tornado warning nearby, but no damage here so far. Winds have calmed a bit but another line looks to be about an hour out and headed right for us. Temp has dropped a few degrees to about 55 and supposed to be down in the 20's by morning. We've had lots of rain and flash floods in the area. I'm staying put.

It was almost 80 today and it looks like the Alicia is starting to grow again but it will get zapped the first of the week cause the temp should be dropping as the front comes to us.

This is screwy even for Texas weather. Temperature dropped from 75 down to 59 when the front went thru. It is back up to 66 now.

Inch and a quarter of rain, same winds except direction (west instead of south), temp is going down fairly slowly.

Good luck vett. Hopefully you'll get some rain soon. My part of Ky is in the severe area but we have had some pretty good rain of late and it is improving around here. I hope the same for you.

After severe drought 5 of the past 8 years , so far this year we're just over 21 inches ahead of normal for the year. That is with oct and nov having less then 14 of normal and this month having about 2/3 of normal.

The problem with the weather people saying what is and is not a drought year is that they take total rainfall for the year. They don't seem to take into account that most of the rain could have fallen in a short period of time and the balance of the year is bone dry.
Maybe they think we have a way to save it up and use it as we need it. ;-)

novatech":4j86s4ir said:
The problem with the weather people saying what is and is not a drought year is that they take total rainfall for the year. They don't seem to take into account that most of the rain could have fallen in a short period of time and the balance of the year is bone dry.

I don't want to complain but I have had about enough rain in this rain forest I live in. I have talked and asked the good Lord to turn this off for awhile and back on about July and August with out the hurricane if it is his will. I have had enough of them as well two hurricanes in three years is two too many.
I have got calf's on the ground that have never seen sunshine. I don't remember a year so wet or sloppy as this one in a long time. Really making the cows go through hay with this 40 degrees and raining all the time and I have most of last years calf crop left and feeding hay as I refuse to give them away. My two year inventory of hay is vanishing rapidly

Caustic Burno":1ulbkl4u said:
I have got calf's on the ground that have never seen sunshine.

One year we had a calf that was born during a month and half monsoon season. The first couple of days after the sun came out he hid in the trees and only came out at night.

Caustic Burno":1tw20waa said:
novatech":1tw20waa said:

I don't want to complain but I have had about enough rain in this rain forest I live in. I have talked and asked the good Lord to turn this off for awhile and back on about July and August with out the hurricane if it is his will. I have had enough of them as well two hurricanes in three years is two too many.
I have got calf's on the ground that have never seen sunshine. I don't remember a year so wet or sloppy as this one in a long time. Really making the cows go through hay with this 40 degrees and raining all the time and I have most of last years calf crop left and feeding hay as I refuse to give them away. My two year inventory of hay is vanishing rapidly
Kindly be more specific for the area where you want the sprinkler system turned off. I'll start tying to do the same on which sector to turn on. Seems he is listening to both of us. :)

Caustic Burno":lnp8zpzm said:
Right in the middle of the big thicket in East Texas is where we need to turn the sprinkler off for about a month.
I beleive you and Vett need to trade cows for about a month. But that would proably put both your herds in shock.
:lol:

I'll send my cows on over to you along with vetts caustic! We're right in the middle of the "maroon" spot as well. It's terrible dry here. I hate showing ranches to anyone with cows looking like skeletons and tumbleweeds rolling around everywhere. :(

We didn't even get enough to drip off the roof.. maybe a 100th of an inch, and it was so windy I think it evaporated as it hit the dirt. I don't think the cows even ran up to the barn for that one!

When I was home in November was mowing weeds on the farm near Yoakum.Never seen it so bad as far back as I can remember.So dry almost got the tractor stuck in the sand too many times,so dry had to wear safety glasses and dust mask,long sleave shirt cause of the sting from dove weeds then top it off with rough and torn up pasture from wild pigs.Try that for a week riding a pitching tractor :shock: :shock: :shock: :mad: .Was as much fun as rolling up the rusty old barb wire,had new fence put up.Life on the farm.
Rain???South and Central Texas is in need for some rain as the country's economy needs money.Hay barn is going down like my bank account.I am hoping and praying for Spring Storms in Texas.BullLady I know what you mean about showing a ranch with raw bone cows and bone dry brown pasture.Depressing.When it does rain it will do as it has been past few times.Too much in a short time.God help us in 2009.

TheBullLady":1m3s5k55 said:
I'll send my cows on over to you along with vetts caustic! We're right in the middle of the "maroon" spot as well. It's terrible dry here. I hate showing ranches to anyone with cows looking like skeletons and tumbleweeds rolling around everywhere. :(

We didn't even get enough to drip off the roof.. maybe a 100th of an inch, and it was so windy I think it evaporated as it hit the dirt. I don't think the cows even ran up to the barn for that one!

I watched it on the radar yesterday and new it was spotty but the way they were moving I figgured you at least got a shower. I'm just to far south of the current pattern, except for the morning when I was to far north. :lol:

Do people still plant a lot of oats like they did 30 years ago or is in mostly in pastures now. Man it's been a long time since I was thru that area.

Caustic, I guess it was 2004 November - February 2005 that if a mouse sneezed we got a half inch. Had an empty 5 gallon bucket setting in the yard during one spell, when I went to get it it was full. Could use some of that now but it is long gone down the Brazos River.

Brahma Bull":2olq0ctc said:
When I was home in November was mowing weeds on the farm near Yoakum.Never seen it so bad as far back as I can remember.So dry almost got the tractor stuck in the sand too many times,so dry had to wear safety glasses and dust mask,long sleave shirt cause of the sting from dove weeds then top it off with rough and torn up pasture from wild pigs.Try that for a week riding a pitching tractor :shock: :shock: :shock: :mad: .Was as much fun as rolling up the rusty old barb wire,had new fence put up.Life on the farm.
Rain???South and Central Texas is in need for some rain as the country's economy needs money.Hay barn is going down like my bank account.I am hoping and praying for Spring Storms in Texas.BullLady I know what you mean about showing a ranch with raw bone cows and bone dry brown pasture.Depressing.When it does rain it will do as it has been past few times.Too much in a short time.God help us in 2009.

:lol2: I imagine their are lots of folks that can tell stories about sand. The next hill north of me is what we call watermelon sand or sugar sand, kind of like Florida sand but not as white, grows great coastal bermuda. Driving across it when it hasn't been rained on is a couple weeks is like trying to drive with the front brakes locked. Not careful you will go down quick.

Worked on a job at Camp Creek a few years ago during a wet period. Couple days after a wet week someone tried to shred pastures. Bottom of a large sand hill where it meets a flat area, tractor buried up the to axles. That type sand is some finicky stuff.