Spring Snakes

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
I saw the first snake of the year tonight when i went to feed the bottle calf. ~4' kingsnake. beautiful snake. i told him it was only february.

Had a large flock of geese heading north this evening. Two days of temps in the high 70's does not make spring. Wished them luck and hoped it was not a sign of a long hot dry growing season.

yeah the sandhill cranes have been whoopin it up overhead the past few days too.

Bluestem":1auflcvp said:
Had a large flock of geese heading north this evening. Two days of temps in the high 70's does not make spring. Wished them luck and hoped it was not a sign of a long hot dry growing season.
This is good news -- but I think if their heading up here their going to freeze their rear ends off- still lots of snow and no sign of spring ----but mabey they know something I dont

carl

It was up around 80 degrees here yesterday. My husband heard frogs last night. Snakes might have heard them too.

I'm just know I'm not ready to start having to kill rat snakes that are eating my chicken eggs.

Alice":rfz3lmbe said:
We have lots of robins right now...

Alice
I've noticed more robins around my place than I can remember. They usually just past through.

Gate Opener":2jxwoli1 said:
It was up around 80 degrees here yesterday. My husband heard frogs last night. Snakes might have heard them too.

I'm just know I'm not ready to start having to kill rat snakes that are eating my chicken eggs.

I gave this hint somewhere around here ~~~ Poke a hole in both ends of an egg(carefully) Blow out contents.. Plug one hole-Fill the egg with salt,Plug other end..Candle wax works well. Mark the egg with Sharpie-nailpolish-whatever- Place in hen nest for nest egg..When a snake eats it,the snake is dead.If a snake is eating rats and mice,it won't be harmed..
Yes,this workes,killed lots of egg-eating snakes when I had chickens..Now if I could get rid of the fireants~~~

peg4x4":1ranl0ub said:
Gate Opener":1ranl0ub said:

I gave this hint somewhere around here ~~~ Poke a hole in both ends of an egg(carefully) Blow out contents.. Plug one hole-Fill the egg with salt,Plug other end..Candle wax works well. Mark the egg with Sharpie-nailpolish-whatever- Place in hen nest for nest egg..When a snake eats it,the snake is dead.If a snake is eating rats and mice,it won't be harmed..
Yes,this workes,killed lots of egg-eating snakes when I had chickens..Now if I could get rid of the fireants~~~

Peg, if you come up with a potion that will comepletely eradicate fire ants, I will help you make it and market it. Then we can be filthy, freakin' rich and can leave it all behind. :D

Alice

Alice":qn12isut said:
We have lots of robins right now...

Alice

Haven't seen a robin yet. I think the snakes never went anywhere around here.

We were in the corral this morning putting CIDRs in a few of the cows and heard a small group of geese overhead. Dad, the AI Tech and I stopped what we were doing and watched the geese fly north. It's the first ones we have seen this year. The geese along with the 70+ degree weather confirmed that spring is just around the year.

The Canadas are still hanging around and we have snow today so it will be awhile before the first pair of Daisy Dukes show up around here. Dmc

Alice":3vdpu9mm said:
peg4x4":3vdpu9mm said:
Gate Opener":3vdpu9mm said:

Peg, if you come up with a potion that will comepletely eradicate fire ants, I will help you make it and market it. Then we can be filthy, freakin' rich and can leave it all behind. :D

Alice

Peg and Alice here is a sure fire way to get rid of fire ants. You take some chewing tobacco and sprinkle on the mound. The workers will carry it into the mound to the queen. Watch and when she comes out to spit you step on her. The workers will eventual die without a queen.

I gave this hint somewhere around here ~~~ Poke a hole in both ends of an egg(carefully) Blow out contents.. Plug one hole-Fill the egg with salt,Plug other end..Candle wax works well. Mark the egg with Sharpie-nailpolish-whatever- Place in hen nest for nest egg..When a snake eats it,the snake is dead.
Yes,this workes,killed lots of egg-eating snakes when I had chickens..[/quote]
Way to go Peg!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We have spring early this year the Daffodils and Tulips are out, but we have Canada Geese all year round, sometimes wish they would fly North, they can be a pest.

Ryder you need to get over this fear of Snakes. ;-)

chrisy":1nc6kn3c said:
We have spring early this year the Daffodils and Tulips are out, but we have Canada Geese all year round, sometimes wish they would fly North, they can be a pest.

Ryder you need to get over this fear of Snakes. ;-)
It is not fear.
I loathe them.
Britney was a nice yung country girl from Louisiana. Very talented and pretty. Made it big in the enterteinment world.
Then she had her picture made with one of those detestable creatures wrapped around her neck. Things went down from there.
Now she has shaved her head.
I warn you-do not consort with snakes.

Ryder":2cz7e9er said:

I gave this hint somewhere around here ~~~ Poke a hole in both ends of an egg(carefully) Blow out contents.. Plug one hole-Fill the egg with salt,Plug other end..Candle wax works well. Mark the egg with Sharpie-nailpolish-whatever- Place in hen nest for nest egg..When a snake eats it,the snake is dead.
Yes,this workes,killed lots of egg-eating snakes when I had chickens..
Way to go Peg!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:[/quote]

Golf balls work wonders kill snakes Black Flag Dead.

Latest posts