Snakes are just plain bad

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't like snakes either. I live in KY, and although we have rattlers, Copperheads and such, they are very territorial, and everyone knows where they are. This may sound crazy, but where i grew up, there was an area on one side of the paved road with rattlers, but in all the years, nobody ever saw a rattler "across the road" as they called it. I could walk a mile and be in rattlesnake country, but never saw anything scarier than a black snake at my house.

Where i live now, it's known for Copperheads a mile or so at the farm across the road from ours, but we've never seen a Copperhead on our farm. Again, blacksnakes are it. Some people will probably argue, "Oh, they're there." Well, if they stay hidden and i don't see them just like nobody has in 100 years, that's ok.

Dave":3818d5jp said:
Culvert_snakes.JPG

Are these the kind of snakes you are talking about?

Ok, I followed the picture posting instructions. How come the picture ended up so small?
Posted the url of the thumbnail?

snake-pipe.jpg

greybeard":110xeydf said:
Dave":110xeydf said:
Culvert_snakes.JPG

Are these the kind of snakes you are talking about?

Ok, I followed the picture posting instructions. How come the picture ended up so small?
Posted the url of the thumbnail?

snake-pipe.jpg

I would like really enjoy putting 3 or 4 rounds of #6's in that tub or culvert whatever it is.

Snakes don't bother me and I have been bit by a copperhead. A small town not to far from me had a rattle snake round up last weekend.

My left knee hates those rattle monsters. The rest of me isn't to partial either.

Adrenaline is amazing stuff. If I could bottle it, I'd be an nba star. Jump like a kangaroo and run like a gazelle. Just have to be careful that you don't run out of earth underneath you, before your mind catches up.

If it hadn't of been so cold, that devil would of hit me.

wacocowboy":256w0c6i said:
Snakes don't bother me and I have been bit by a copperhead. A small town not to far from me had a rattle snake round up last weekend.

Timber rattler make a cooperhead look like a bee sting.
Neighbor got hit by a cooper head they didn't even admit him.
Another fellow on the deer lease got hit by a timber rattler on his
little finger. He lost his bowels and by the time they got him to our ER his arm was
about to bust open as they Life Flighted him to a Level 1 trauma center.

Have a 65 acre pasture on my place that i basicaly a worthless pile of rocks. Except for some really cool features , 6 indian mounds and a cavern that runs about 25 feet down and about 150 yards underground. You talk about a snake den. Every spring,and every fall we have a rattle snake hunt usually killing 20to30 snakes in a afternoon. When i was a child my uncle got bit opening the front gate into our place. Came sliding up to the house in his pickup jumped out with jumper cables tied around his leg screaming to be taken to hospital. Grandpa had pro snake hunters come out the next day the caught 80 someodd snakes.i try to only run cows in that pasture during winter. Never had 1 bit. But we do have sheep get bit from time to time. Usually kills them

Caustic Burno":35syh828 said:
wacocowboy":35syh828 said:

Timber rattler make a cooperhead look like a bee sting.
Neighbor got hit by a cooper head they didn't even admit him.
Another fellow on the deer lease got hit by a timber rattler on his
little finger. He lost his bowels and by the time they got him to our ER his arm was
about to bust open as they Life Flighted him to a Level 1 trauma center.

Yep rattle snake packs a bigger punch but they don't bother me. I have been around lot of venomous snakes in my like respect them but don't fear them.

We have plenty of copper snackles as my grandma calls them, though she has done her best to elimate every one with her famous snake hoe. Worse i have been spooked by a snake was swimming in the river and a cotton mouth dropping in the water a bit close to me....you have never seen a mediocre swimmer turn dolphin like i did that day

CaddoFarms":1ejdig10 said:
We have plenty of copper snackles as my grandma calls them, though she has done her best to elimate every one with her famous snake hoe. Worse i have been spooked by a snake was swimming in the river and a cotton mouth dropping in the water a bit close to me....you have never seen a mediocre swimmer turn dolphin like i did that day

My perch traps were in the still part of the river once. I was pulling them and got a cotton mouth wrapped around my arm. We were wading so I didn't have to swim. How I did not get bit I will never know.

backhoeboogie":yom6n7zw said:
CaddoFarms":yom6n7zw said:

My perch traps were in the still part of the river once. I was pulling them and got a cotton mouth wrapped around my arm. We were wading so I didn't have to swim. How I did not get bit I will never know.

Early ever spring when they start moving I set up on the ponds and thin the population.
A 410 pump works great on them.
What gets me is you can kill a half dozen and not see a snake for two or three months,
then poof dang pond is full of three and four foot ones.
I have never figured out if they migrate in or just really good at hiding.

You need to set up at my perch traps with that 410. They like to run the traps before I get there.

Generally you put the traps at the best locations to catch perch. They must fish there too. If they shut the water off at the dam, the tops of the traps get exposed. Then the snakes go in the traps and get trapped themselves. Sometimes they turn the water back on and they drown.

Perch is what I bait trot lines with.

Latest posts