Snakes are just plain bad

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
I aint never been bit by a copperhead, cotton mouth, or rattlesnake. My dogs have. My cows have. Consider that. They've made horses run out from under me. Hence, even tho I have never been bit, I have no use for them. Not only do I not want them in my yard, I don't want them in my pasture or neighborhood.

Not seeing any TB. Just reading about 'em.

I did see a coyote. I tolerate coyotes. Lots of folks in this forum don't tolerate coyotes at all. If one of them ever tries to take a calf of mine, I will delcare war on the coyotes and there are lots of packs around. I can put that "coyote serenade" in the truck CD player and they'll sing to me from all sides. As long as they eat rats, I don't have a problem with them. Rats entice snakes to move in to the neighborhood. Getting rid of rats cuts down on the number of snakes around.

I was cutting limbs out of a pine tree with my pole saw last week and one of the limbs fell at my feet with a rat snake coiled up on the branches.

I've never liked snakes either BHB. If I see them a ways off I can manage to not pee myself. I will tolerate non-venomous snakes so long as they are out of my yard.

Are the snakes with the dot between the eyes dangerous to. They look like the same species to me. But I've heard that their not as dangerous. Sure is tuff to tell them apart.

I can't remember, is it the glossy one to look out for or the dull ones?

I ran over a copperhead on my powerline right-of-way/driveway just last week when the weather had warmed up into the upper 60s. I didn't see him, but heard the "POP!" when the tire rolled over him--pop was his guts crushing out thru his butthole. I knew what that sound was so I got out and hung the dead thing on the fence for the crows and mocking birds to pick at.
So yeah, if it warms up and the sun is shinning, they are already on the move, looking for a sunny spot to lay.

backhoeboogie":25pj0gd6 said:
I aint never been bit by a copperhead, cotton mouth, or rattlesnake. My dogs have. My cows have. Consider that. They've made horses run out from under me. Hence, even tho I have never been bit, I have no use for them. Not only do I not want them in my yard, I don't want them in my pasture or neighborhood.
They're fine around here as well as long as they stay away from the house. Usually kill 2 or 3 small copperheads each spring and that's about it.

branguscowgirl":1acan2mi said:
Alan":1acan2mi said:
I can't remember, is it the glossy one to look out for or the dull ones?
Oh no Alan! Don't start THAT debate again!! :help: :deadhorse: :lol:

Don't worry about it Alan. There are no poison snake where you and I live.

It is funny how paranoid people who live here in the land of no poison snake are of poison snakes. There is a group from church going over to the area of the Carlton Complex fire to help people rebuild. At one of the meetings we had a gal from the Methow Valley speak. When she said that it was rattle snake country one of the ladies from church just got up and left. No discussion about how rare snakes are over there or that the fire probably killed most of them. She just left. Not helping people if there is a possibility of a snake in the area.

backhoeboogie":7ihqqnlp said:

Was with my cousin when he got hit by a timber rattler the only reason he survived is the
snake bit the dog first. I thought his leg was going to rot off, it was horrible to watch
what he had to go through.

I hate snakes with a vehement passion. I have an irrational fear of them. I am not a very tall person and am pretty heavy set, but I can get some height and speed if I am avoiding or getting away from a snake.

Culvert_snakes.JPG

Are these the kind of snakes you are talking about?

Ok, I followed the picture posting instructions. How come the picture ended up so small?