Share your spring rain pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Jessica06

Reaction score
I can't remember the last time we didn't have standing water in nearly all of our pastures......but I'm not complaining!! These were all taken in the last 2 months. None of them have water in these places normally, and most are "dry" (soggy) right now.

Wow... looks more like a lake than a pasture! What does that type of flooding do to the soil in your area? Will you have to test for nutrient deficiencies... re-seed... whatever? The last time we had flooding like that, it took me a couple of years to get my pastures back to where we wanted them to be.

Just about all of our pasture is black clay, so nothing really gets washed away from down in the soil. We should be good for several months on soil moisture! I think the organic matter is improved, along with the manure being spread out and broken down faster. The most challenging thing is trying to spray weeds and put out fertilizer. By the time it dries up enough to do anything, the cotton and soybeans will be up pretty good, and you're worried about not getting any rain for a while. Honestly, we're usually thankful that we DIDN'T put out fertilizer before a lot of these big rains...it would all just wash away. Our pastures are either jiggs or native bahia/gordo, so the water helps more than hurts.

In my area, slow rising and slow dropping flood water (other than flash flood with fast running water) usually helps build soil. Nutrient rich, silt bearing water spreads out over the land, sits for 8-? hrs. As it sits still, the heavier silt naturally settles out, and as the water begins to recede, another fine layer of silt is left behind (you can almost always see it on the grass). This is the same process that has made the Mississippi River delta and the upper flood plain so good for farming. On a smaller scale, it's also how my soil was formed--the little San Jac River spreads out every so often and over many years, built the surrounding area's soil because the floodwater carried so much rotting vegetative matter.

But, if your floodwater comes from an area with a lot of stuff that can change your pH (like disolved limestone) it can drop that on your land too. Most of the East Texas pine region needs limeing, but the folks at Texas A&M say the exception to that is in flood plains.

I'm afraid there is not much for spring rain pictures here. Light steady showers in town most of the day yesterday, but I couldn't seem to bring them home with me :( TV weather guy said last night we are over 2" short for the year at this time.

Been too many fires already this early in the season. Biggest fire got 7000 acres before they got around it. No major structure loss, but a lot of grass and hay lost along with lots of fence. Stock water is very short in places. Needs to change soon or there won't be any hay and pastures will be quite short.

John SD":2o7yc3ti said:
I'm afraid there is not much for spring rain pictures here. Light steady showers in town most of the day yesterday, but I couldn't seem to bring them home with me :( TV weather guy said last night we are over 2" short for the year at this time.

Been too many fires already this early in the season. Biggest fire got 7000 acres before they got around it. No major structure loss, but a lot of grass and hay lost along with lots of fence. Stock water is very short in places. Needs to change soon or there won't be any hay and pastures will be quite short.

Same here, little to no water in the swamps and creeks. Feels more like a drier than normal august. It's crazy dry with lot's of fires too.

Latest posts