Sprigging this weekend (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
This is the way we sprigged. After about half a day we were thinking we should buy a sprigger! :D It was cold and the wind was blowing. We got soooo dirty but we got her done.

We had disked the ground(appx 8 acres) about 4 times and then drug 2 telephone poles over it to kinda smooth it. Then this weekend we threw out the sprigs and disked them in (1 time over) then rolled it with a big roller.

Family helped us and I don't think they will come back to see us anytime soon.

My mama is 70+ years old and she bout put us all to shame. Man she is a hard worker.

congrats on getting the 8acs sprigged.heres hoping you get a good stand.as well as enough rain to get it growing good.

bigbull338":10m1b21w said:
congrats on getting the 8acs sprigged.heres hoping you get a good stand.as well as enough rain to get it growing good.

Thank you bigbull. They are not calling for rain until Saturday but I don't really believe our weather people. Hopefully there is enough moisture in the soil to keep them going.

Gate Opener":3daucfnr said:
bigbull338":3daucfnr said:

Thank you bigbull. They are not calling for rain until Saturday but I don't really believe our weather people. Hopefully there is enough moisture in the soil to keep them going.
i hope so to.i know id be sick if i lost that planting.

My dad is driving the tractor. Look at how dirty his face is, you can look at his hand(he had been wearing gloves) and compare to his face. My mama is on the left side of the first picture in white. Oh, and she is only 70, I asked her the other day.

My husband and brother are on the back of the trailer in the second picture.

It might have sprinkled a little on that field today. If it was like it did here it wasn't enough to do much of anything. They have moved the rain to Sunday. I sure hope those sprigs are going to be ok. If not, here we go again except it may just be me, husband and kids.

Could someone please give me a brief explanation of sprigging? I had never seen nor heard of it 'til this board.

cfpinz

cfpinz":1lgmh9yj said:
Could someone please give me a brief explanation of sprigging? I had never seen nor heard of it 'til this board.

cfpinz

It's the process of planting various grasses from root cuttings instead of planting seed. There are several varieties of coastal bermuda that won't produce from seed i.e. Tifton 44, Tifton 85 etc. ( I think the tifton varieties are considered coastal bermuda), but that's beside the point.

so do ya just spread the sprigs and they take off or do ya bury em or what?? curious... I planted coastal rye... easy seed on top God does the rest...lol

birdog":200ypb9n said:
cfpinz":200ypb9n said:

cfpinz

It's the process of planting various grasses from root cuttings instead of planting seed. There are several varieties of coastal bermuda that won't produce from seed i.e. Tifton 44, Tifton 85 etc. ( I think the tifton varieties are considered coastal bermuda), but that's beside the point.

NO variety of hybrid bermuda - coastal, Midland, Ozark, Tifton, etc can be planted from seed. It takes either roots or tops.

The sprigs (roots) are usually planted while still dormant. Some of the sprig should optimally be above the ground. The field should be plowed in the fall, lay dormant all winter and sprigged in the spring. Afterwards it should be packed to retain moisture.

Tops are just that, the tops of hybrid bermudas. Cut when 18" or so tall and disk into the ground, then hope for a rain.

whats the best grass fer pasture protien wise, That grows well in a draught type enviroment with lots of heat... (ne Texas)??

Dusty Britches":13e0szlw said:
farmerjohn -

there are some new hybred bermudas that grow well from seed. But they are expensive.

Are there any that don't revert back to common?

Billdevaul":74ie2g09 said:
whats the best grass fer pasture protien wise, That grows well in a draught type enviroment with lots of heat... (ne Texas)??

Lots of people say Tifton 85. We went with plain old coastal. We tried the Tifton here years ago and didn't have any luck with it (nothing came up). Not saying that was the grasses fault but it was expensive and I didn't want to take a chance on it again. Also heard with Tifton if you don't cut it at a certain time it will get stemmy. We will have to depend on someone else to cut our hay since we don't have equip. so thought coastal was a better way to go for us.

Latest posts