Spray to kill thistles

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
Anyone know what spray to use on thistles? Need to use a non-restricted use herbicide. Will Roundup kill them?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

roundup will kill them but then it will kill the grass and clover too. It would be cheaper to use 2-4D and it won't kill the grass but it will kill the clover.

I'll second the 2,4d. If you hit them in the rosette stage you'll kill em. If they've started to bolt it's a little harder and may take to applications

dun

there is a new spray out which is called milestone,lil higher priced but it gets rid of them,takes 3-7 oz per acre

You might also look into Plateau. We haven't tried it yet, but the manufacturer's info says it will kill thistle, but not clover or grass.

use crossbow. cross bow does not kill grass and you can spray nearly any stage and zap those nasties. I generally don't spray thistles until end of june or july and I get great kill. Just get them before they flower.
I think the mix is about 3oz crossbow/gal. Use a surfactant also.

I had real good success with Grazon (1 quart to the acre) but wait until they start to bloom before spraying.

Again, dun is right on... that 2-4D is what we use on those thistles. We have had great success with it; just a shame the neighbors dont use it. One flowering thistle dries up and breaks open... 10 million thistles just waiting to take root. Dont you just love those and cactus?

I am out in the paddock often. If you don't have much, get a hoe and just chop em off about ground level. Easy as pie to do . I use an old adze ( old timber cutters tool) and nice and sharp and don't hit the ground . Watch the follow through though for it hurts if you bury it in a shin.

tytower":1aaf5kli said:
I am out in the paddock often. If you don't have much, get a hoe and just chop em off about ground level. Easy as pie to do . I use an old adze ( old timber cutters tool) and nice and sharp and don't hit the ground . Watch the follow through though for it hurts if you bury it in a shin.

Chopping them off just postpones things. As long as the tap root is viable you will get regrowth. That's why 2,4d is so effective.

dun

We've found he best time to spray them is in the early fall as they are putting energy down into the roots. We use 2,4D on them and you can get a pretty good kill then. I often spray them in the spring to kill or knock them back and then hit them again in the fall, seems to work good.

Bobg

The extenison agent told me that thistle are bi-annual meaning that after they drop their seeds. Those seeds dont sprout until 2 years later. So it will probably take a few years to get rid of the majority of them.

tytower":3pbv0s5s said:

I'm not sure about other types of thistle, but I do know that will not work for Canadian Thistle - it will simply regrow.

If I went around choppin all of the thistles that come up on my place, I would either wear out my hoe... or me...
(that didnt sound right did it?) :)

Farmgirl":a9h9lvko said:
Anyone know what spray to use on thistles? Need to use a non-restricted use herbicide. Will Roundup kill them?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Could you post a pic of the "thistle" you are referring to? We have a "thistle" (I think) in our area that the locals call a "bull nettle" that I haven't found anything that will eradicate it. Remedy, Grazon, 2,4-D, Roundup, etc. will kill top growth but comes back year in and year out.

Thanks

Farmgirl":20rx4w9t said:

Thanks,
Farmgirl

2-4D is a restricted used herbecide in my area. You have until april 1 or you need a pemit from TDA.

birdog":2ixsb1zd said:
in our area that the locals call a "bull nettle" that I haven't found anything that will eradicate it. Remedy, Grazon, 2,4-D, Roundup, etc. will kill top growth but comes back year in and year out.

Thanks

Does it have yellow berries on it when they're ripe? That would be the same bull nettle we have. Repeated spraying with remedy and water will eventually take care of it. Problem is, each of those berries have aproximatley a jillion seeds. We had an occasional plant and managed to control them, we thought, with spraying hem before they went to seed. During the last year when so much of the grass died from the drought, every bare spot sporuted up in more BNs then you can count. Even in fields that hadn;t had them before that we had seen. This year we'll be hitting thr fields with a mix of Grazon and Remedy and hope that gets them.

dun

dun":1eiysony said:
birdog":1eiysony said:
in our area that the locals call a "bull nettle" that I haven't found anything that will eradicate it. Remedy, Grazon, 2,4-D, Roundup, etc. will kill top growth but comes back year in and year out.

Thanks

Does it have yellow berries on it when they're ripe? That would be the same bull nettle we have. Repeated spraying with remedy and water will eventually take care of it. Problem is, each of those berries have aproximatley a jillion seeds. We had an occasional plant and managed to control them, we thought, with spraying hem before they went to seed. During the last year when so much of the grass died from the drought, every bare spot sporuted up in more BNs then you can count. Even in fields that hadn;t had them before that we had seen. This year we'll be hitting thr fields with a mix of Grazon and Remedy and hope that gets them.

dun

Does not have berries. Covered with millions of hair like stingers on the stalks and underside of leaves. If you touch it it will burn, itch, and leaves blisters and rash. Grows 1' to 2' tall, has a tap root anywhere from 6' to 10' deep. has a root ball at the end of taproot that looks like a sweet potato on steroids. We've dug one up that the root ball was 27" long and 7 1/2" in diameter 9 feet below ground level. They put on a white flower in mid summer. I'll try and find an early sprout to post a picture of.

Latest posts