Spots or growth on a younger steer

Help Support CattleToday:

dschmiesing

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new on this forum. I've raised steers a few times in the past with good luck and enjoyed having them. Right now I have a 7 month old Holstein steer by himself in pasture on 5 acres. I have had him for about 2 months. He weighs about 600-700 lbs. I have a mineral block out there which he licks and I also give him a mixture of sweet feed and corn a few times a week (trying to friendly him up). This steer is very skittish and he does not let people near him.

Flys have been a problem and I have not been able to spray him with repellent.

Yesterday, I noticed multiple growths on his head neck and both eyes. He also has just developed diarrhea.

I am unsure what these growths are and how I could treat them. They look like giant warts or something. Does anyone have advice on what these are and how I could treat a scared animal with fly repellent?

I tried to upload photos but am having trouble right now.

Thanks for reading and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Probably are warts. Without a picture, its hard to say. If it is warts they usually go away on their own. As far as diarrhea, could be lots of things. Feed may be to rich. Does he have grass or hay?
Putting with another friendly animal would help. He needs some competition for food. Without any, he knows if he waits, you will leave and the feed will be there. With competition he will have to get up there and eat and then you can spray him.

Good advice. I am buying a hanging fly repellent sock like thing today to hang over the entrance to the feeder. He is currently in grass and may only be eating sweet parts of plants. I am also going to supplement oats for sweet feed starting today.

May be the larvae of the Bot fly. If you can't restrain him to give him a shot of Ivermec Gold try a lick block wormer or granules in his ration. I'm sure someone on the board can give you more advice on products to use...

Latest posts