south goergia cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Jamal Jones

Reaction score
I jus came back from south goergia and I notice that a lot of the cows is difrent. They seem to be a lot of cows wth big ears. I notice that they look the same color as black cows in tennesee but have big droop ears. Why thay have biger ears? Even the wite sharlay lookin cows have bigger ears and the bulls have taller necks rite by there backs. Is this cause its hotter thare?

One of the defining traits of rednecks here in south goergia is that fact that most of us have big ears. When looking for proper genetics in our cattle, we look for those that have the same big ear syndrome in order to make us feel better about ourselves.

Redneck farmers love redneck cows...

Jamal Jones":1oiedaek said:
I jus came back from south goergia and I notice that a lot of the cows is difrent. They seem to be a lot of cows wth big ears. I notice that they look the same color as black cows in tennesee but have big droop ears. Why thay have biger ears? Even the wite sharlay lookin cows have bigger ears and the bulls have taller necks rite by there backs. Is this cause its hotter thare?

I assume this is tongue in cheek but I'll give you a serious answer anyway. The Brahman influenced cattle are more popular in the South because of their greater ability to cope with hot weather. The long ears, pronounced hump and loose skin all add to the surface area which allows the animal to dissipate heat more effectively. On a hot day in my part of the country most black cows are either lying in the shade or standing in a pond whereas the Brahman influenced cattle will be out grazing regardless of the heat.

Latest posts