South American Beef Industry

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Heres an e-mail I got today-- I just know much of it will be some type of promotion :roll: , but a fella might be able to pick up some information...

--------------------------------------------

If you've always wondered, but never been to South America, join us Thursday night for a whirlwind overview of South America and their beef industry. With growing world markets and the recent purchase of Swift by a Brazilian company, you should stay up to date on our friends south of the equator.

My guests will include Mr. Jorge Jara with Select Sires in South America and the Bustillo brothers, Angus breeders from Argentina. They are stopping by LCoC and then we'll broadcast from my home. We'll give you a feel for the major beef countries, how they produce beef, and where they are headed.

If you've ever wondered about South America, be sure to tune in tomorrow night, Thursday, at 8 pm Mountain on www.dvauction.com.

Hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Lee Leachman

Brazil has the largest # of cattle in the world. just waiting for the green light to export fresh and frozen beef to the USA. All this one sided free trade stuff is not good for the US cattle producer. :( :mad:

Interesting little talk-- I think what hit me the most was the speed at which the Brazilian cattle herd (already huge) is growing-- Grown 20 million head since 2003...from 161 million to 180 million....Canada has only grown a million in that time to 14.5 million head... The US has just under 100 million.....

Other interesting tidbits-- 40% of Brazil's fuel is ethanol from sugar cane- and they can produce it at a cost of 70 cents a gallon.....

90% of the Brazillian herd is Zebu (Nellore) or a X of Nellore-- and their cattle are usually grass fattened until 36 months of age....

Argentine tidbits:

Most of the cattle are English breeding- 70% being Angus or angus cross- with Hereford being the other predominent breed...They have a small amount of brahman influenced in the hotter zones....

Cattle are all mostly grass fattened- weaned at 400 lbs then grazed and fattened until 900-1000 lbs to be slaughtered...
Altho they did say that the feeding business is expanding.

A 1000 lb fat steer at slaughter in Argentina only brings $500 :shock:

Oldtimer":3v8fstou said:
Interesting little talk-- I think what hit me the most was the speed at which the Brazilian cattle herd (already huge) is growing-- Grown 20 million head since 2003...from 161 million to 180 million....Canada has only grown a million in that time to 14.5 million head... The US has just under 100 million.....

Other interesting tidbits-- 40% of Brazil's fuel is ethanol from sugar cane- and they can produce it at a cost of 70 cents a gallon.....

90% of the Brazillian herd is Zebu (Nellore) or a X of Nellore-- and their cattle are usually grass fattened until 36 months of age....

Argentine tidbits:

Most of the cattle are English breeding- 70% being Angus or angus cross- with Hereford being the other predominent breed...They have a small amount of brahman influenced in the hotter zones....

Cattle are all mostly grass fattened- weaned at 400 lbs then grazed and fattened until 900-1000 lbs to be slaughtered...
Altho they did say that the feeding business is expanding.

A 1000 lb fat steer at slaughter in Argentina only brings $500 :shock:

welcome to my world ... I actually make a little more than that per steer 1000lbs .. :cboy: and mine are also grassfed also keep in mind land is cheap so is labor .. the best part NO TAX !!

Latest posts