Something to think about over the weekend

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
After a pretty bad week I've decided to start the weekend a little early and some thoughts have come to mind which I'd like to have answered no later than Monday. First of all, if its true that time is money then would this mean that an ATM machine is also a time machine? If so, how does it work? Additionally, I was wondering if someone takes you off there Facebook page could this be considered defamation? If so, could you seek legal recourse? One last question for the moment is, after studying the liquid contents in a bottle I've discovered that there are 2 pints in a quart and four quarts in a gallon. I think we can all agree on this, however, my question is then why - if this standard is the same in both the USA and in England - then why do the English have 20 ounces in a pint and we only have a measely 16? Was someone short changing us on beer? If so, where is the beer? And who can I blame?

Jogeephus":1h0wqtxv said:
First of all, if its true that time is money then would this mean that an ATM machine is also a time machine? If so, how does it work?

Well, take a JD4020 and a log chain. Wrap the chain around the ATM and drag it home. That's what Bubba was doing--and they gave him plenty of time.

Jo I'm thinking you have had to much time on your hands today in thinking that much. The English gallon is bigger than the US one, this could answer your question.....
A British (imperial) gallon contains four imperial quarts of 40 ounce each for a total of 160 ounces, and a US gallon contains four US quarts of 32 ounces each, for a total of 128 ounces.
one gallon US equals 3.7854 liter, or 0.0037854 cubic meter, or 0.13368 cubic feet,

one British (imperial) gallon equals 1.2009 gallons US, or 277.42 cubic inch, or 4.5460 liter, or 0.004546 cubic meter

The difference between the Imperial gallon and the smaller US Gallon might be explained by the fact that, in the post medieval past, the whisky filled barrels leaving the shores of UK didn't have the same content when arriving in the new world....was this due to leakage or the crew drinking I wonder?

Jogeephus":ur45whbr said:
..... after studying the liquid contents in a bottle I've discovered that.....

After I get my weekend started by 'studying', I'll be right there with ya. We can solve all these problems and more. I'll post the answers to your questions after study hall commences.

Jogeephus":32u30pw5 said:
After a pretty bad week I've decided to start the weekend a little early and some thoughts have come to mind which I'd like to have answered no later than Monday. First of all, if its true that time is money then would this mean that an ATM machine is also a time machine? If so, how does it work? Additionally, I was wondering if someone takes you off there Facebook page could this be considered defamation? If so, could you seek legal recourse? One last question for the moment is, after studying the liquid contents in a bottle I've discovered that there are 2 pints in a quart and four quarts in a gallon. I think we can all agree on this, however, my question is then why - if this standard is the same in both the USA and in England - then why do the English have 20 ounces in a pint and we only have a measely 16? Was someone short changing us on beer? If so, where is the beer? And who can I blame?
Joe I have absolutely no idea but when you figure it out "I'll drink to it"!!!!! :tiphat:

chrisy":18080soc said:
Jo I'm thinking you have had to much time on your hands today in thinking that much. The English gallon is bigger than the US one, this could answer your question.....
A British (imperial) gallon contains four imperial quarts of 40 ounce each for a total of 160 ounces, and a US gallon contains four US quarts of 32 ounces each, for a total of 128 ounces.
one gallon US equals 3.7854 liter, or 0.0037854 cubic meter, or 0.13368 cubic feet,

one British (imperial) gallon equals 1.2009 gallons US, or 277.42 cubic inch, or 4.5460 liter, or 0.004546 cubic meter

The difference between the Imperial gallon and the smaller US Gallon might be explained by the fact that, in the post medieval past, the whisky filled barrels leaving the shores of UK didn't have the same content when arriving in the new world....was this due to leakage or the crew drinking I wonder?

Multiple losses, Chrisy. When you ship something across the oceans you do have some loss. Dockworkers are in the dictionary next to corruption. This has always been true. I wonder how we came to have this difference in gallons. I also wonder if my whitworth wrenches will ever be worth anything.

john250":qlx4auqk said:
Dockworkers are in the dictionary next to corruption.
True, but cheap. I think they invented the $5 handshake. See how far you get on the Jersey Turnpike for that price.

Ouachita":2yw1tg3c said:
Jogeephus":2yw1tg3c said:
..... after studying the liquid contents in a bottle I've discovered that.....

After I get my weekend started by 'studying', I'll be right there with ya. We can solve all these problems and more. I'll post the answers to your questions after study hall commences.

OK, after a couple whiskey drinks, I have the answers. An ATM machine is indeed a time machine, cause it takes time to make the money that you eventually draw out. On the Facebook thing, you ask a very good question, but since I've never been on Facebook I don't rightly know the answer (a couple more drinks and I might). As to the missing beer (16 oz. vs. 20 oz.) I have to agree with chrisy, she hit the nail on the head.

upfrombottom":3dou6ov3 said:
I would like to know why if i drink a US quart, I pee a Imperial one.

I have also wondered the same; how is it that I can drink 3 beers and piss 6 ??? Always amazed at the power of beer

I'm new here, obviously, and just noticed how a word in my previous post was changed from p*ss to 'be nice'. "I apologize to all the honorable folks on this here radio........" (Jackie Gleason; Smokey and the Bandit)

I agree and think Chrisy hit the nail on the head. Thanks for that cause you haven't a clue how long that piece of trivial information has bothered me. Now I'm wondering if these beverages were taxed by the pint US.

I don't do Facebook either but I overheard some young people discussing being taken of the friends list. Sortof tickled me cause I can remember removing a girl's name from the top of my speed dial back in the day. Can't help but wonder what's coming next.

'I also wonder if my whitworth wrenches will ever be worth anything.'

Maybe John as they have never been cheap to buy....My Husband has some of my Dads from back in the 1930's and they still going strong. Tools made to last a life time, not like the Chinese rubbish of today.

john250":1ycw5q3v said:
chrisy":1ycw5q3v said:

Multiple losses, Chrisy. When you ship something across the oceans you do have some loss. Dockworkers are in the dictionary next to corruption. This has always been true. I wonder how we came to have this difference in gallons. I also wonder if my whitworth wrenches will ever be worth anything.

Whisky like all good things breaths, and unfortunatly thus there is evaporation. In a good whisky the air and water that is used in the proccess is part of the flavour. The addition of water or ice during consumption is just destroying all that :cry2: :cry2: Much better to savour it as intended :D :D

Our shop used to have three of every thing for the whitworth, metric and imperial. Three boxs rusted used bolts, three boxs rusted nuts, three tools boxs wrenches. When dad or Grandad need a bolt I got to clean them up

Jogeephus":2fony1wn said:
After a pretty bad week I've decided to start the weekend a little early and some thoughts have come to mind which I'd like to have answered no later than Monday. First of all, if its true that time is money then would this mean that an ATM machine is also a time machine? If so, how does it work?
I don't think so, because by the time you've worked long enough to take some back out, you've already lost money due to the rate of inflation and QE.
Additionally, I was wondering if someone takes you off there Facebook page could this be considered defamation? If so, could you seek legal recourse?
Rather than defamation, I think this would actually be a kind gesture one person could do for another, and therefore the beneficiary should buy the benefactor a drink.
One last question for the moment is, after studying the liquid contents in a bottle I've discovered that there are 2 pints in a quart and four quarts in a gallon. I think we can all agree on this, however, my question is then why - if this standard is the same in both the USA and in England - then why do the English have 20 ounces in a pint and we only have a measely 16? Was someone short changing us on beer? If so, where is the beer? And who can I blame?
Joe, you need a vacation. You're thinking much too long/hard. ;-) Go fishing and just take an extra case to make up for that small pint. :lol:

chrisy":2msov2ca said:

Smart woman!
Now can you tell me what exactly bitters is/are?

CottageFarm":aoprkv7a said:
chrisy":aoprkv7a said:

Smart woman!
smart so I am told... :hide:
Do you mean beer???????
Some of my family used to be in the brewing trade, one of my Uncles was scalded to death in beer, when a vat exploded when he was skimming of the scum, so I have been told a little bit about how brewing is done, I remember a little of what I was told.

Bitter is an English term for pale ale, strength and colours can vary from different brewers, pale to dark depending on the amount of caramel colouring used and very from 4% to 7% alcohol, they are made from malt dried with coke, (a bi-product of coal). They are not the strong types of beer that are made with hops, much nicer IMO. That is about as much as I know about bitters. on the other hand I coud tell you quite a bit about beer made with hops. I do know that the term bitter means different things in other parts of the World, but not what they are. Hope that answers your question.

john250":3pma1jd8 said:
Jogeephus":3pma1jd8 said:
First of all, if its true that time is money then would this mean that an ATM machine is also a time machine? If so, how does it work?

Well, take a JD4020 and a log chain. Wrap the chain around the ATM and drag it home. That's what Bubba was doing--and they gave him plenty of time.

I like the one where Bubba wrapped a chain around the ATM and tied it to his pickup bumper. Pulled his bumper off and guess what was attached to his bumper .... you got it, his licenses plate!

chrisy":2n99xiqp said:
CottageFarm":2n99xiqp said:
chrisy":2n99xiqp said:

Smart woman!
smart so I am told... :hide:
Do you mean beer???????
Some of my family used to be in the brewing trade, one of my Uncles was scalded to death in beer, when a vat exploded when he was skimming of the scum, so I have been told a little bit about how brewing is done, I remember a little of what I was told.

Bitter is an English term for pale ale, strength and colours can vary from different brewers, pale to dark depending on the amount of caramel colouring used and very from 4% to 7% alcohol, they are made from malt dried with coke, (a bi-product of coal). They are not the strong types of beer that are made with hops, much nicer IMO. That is about as much as I know about bitters. on the other hand I coud tell you quite a bit about beer made with hops. I do know that the term bitter means different things in other parts of the World, but not what they are. Hope that answers your question.

So Chrisy, what is "arf 'n arf" (hard to write in the Queens basterdized english). Should be "half and half".

Latest posts