Some pics of our fall repo checks

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
For us, the cattle business is about family time. We try to do everything as a family, including having our 16 year old daughter now doing most of the AI, with either of us parents backing her up when needed (all three of us AI). So, now that I have graded all the finals and posted my grades for fall semester, I am settling down and going through some photos. The week of Thanksgiving, we set up a bunch of our fall calving cows with CIDR's to prepare for AI and embryo transfer. The entire family was involved in this process. We were lucky enough to have someone there taking pictures, a family member visiting from California.
This first picture is the kids bringing the fall cows in
working_fall_cows.jpg

Bringing the cows into the holding pen
working_fall_cows_2.jpg

Girls getting shots ready (Cysterelin) while the vet does a repro check on a heifer
working_fall_cows_5.jpg

Oldest daughter putting CIDR in (the cow was peeing, so she jumped back when the pic was snapped)
working_fall_cows_4.jpg

Middle daughter waiting to move the next cow in
working_fall_cows_3.jpg

A shot of our spring heifers. The one on the left is an Upgrade 3/4 blood. The white faced heifer on the right is a Fat Butt (Final Cut)
fall_heifers_1.jpg

And finally, my working crew! Bottom right is my oldest, the top right is her half sister, middle is my middle, and boy on the left is my son (and the reason I have so many gray hairs.... ;-)
working_fall_cows_6.jpg

Those two spring heifers facing the camera are dandies!
It's good to see the kids involved with your cattle.

Thanks guys! These are really the kids projects, and we just help out. Most of the cows are owned by the kids, bought with their own money. Girls are old enough to show at Junior National shows, and do. My son shows at the little shows around the area, as he is only 8.
Jeanne, it is a temporary set up (or was). We just built a 100 x 40 foot barn, so we had to move our working pens out in the middle of the pasture so we could get the barn built. This weekend, we hope to have the pens done inside the new barn so we can start using it! All the bred heifers/cows will be three weeks next weekend, so we need to get set up pretty quick. Everything on our place is halter broke except 3 that were bought in sales (Sanders, Owens), so most we can just walk out and put halters on and walk into the grooming chute to AI.
The Upgrade heifer we love. She has the best personality! Great kid show heifer. We have an Upgrade in production, she was my middle daughter's show heifer this year and had an outstanding bull calf this fall. She needs to be shown as a pair, just perfect udder and lovely half blood. I will try to get a pic of her up so you all can see. I really like the Upgrades in production!!!
Thanks everyone. Our cattle are truly a family affair. Our vacations are always around the cattle, and usually are around Junior Nationals!

up_arrow.gif

Now that is what it is all about. Your children will have great memories to treasure.
Thank you for sharing with us.

Great pics... Life around our place is nothing like that... I tell people to get lost when I have to work the cattle... the parental units are too uptight and the cows feel it right away... At weaning time I can usually sort out the 20 calves we have in 10 minutes, alone, and with no running around... maybe I have someone manning a gate if I have some that are determined to get out.

Nice heifers too.

your daughter seems to have my philosophy... Screw wearing gloves!.. I only wear them when I have to deal with uterine infections

Nesi - she was just putting a CIDR in - don't need gloves. I would venture to guess she used gloves for AI

Shouldn't gloves (nitrile exam or like) be worn while handling CIDRS too as you can absorb hormones through your skin? I always thought it said this on the label.

Great pics by the way, some of the best memories my family has made was when working with our cattle.

cowgirl_jenna":1tq9q23g said:
Nesi - she was just putting a CIDR in - don't need gloves. I would venture to guess she used gloves for AI

Shouldn't gloves (nitrile exam or like) be worn while handling CIDRS too as you can absorb hormones through your skin? I always thought it said this on the label.

Great pics by the way, some of the best memories my family has made was when working with our cattle.

Hubby loads the CIDR's in the gun, so none of us girls actually touches the CIDR, just the gun. We are very careful about that :) Conception rates were great, by the way. Just one cow did not take. We have the vet coming out the 22nd to ultrasound and sex the pregnancies, since several will be consigned to our fall sale. We are excited!

this is another of those post that when I was going down the list there were fourteen replies and the topic was of interest.

I click on it and can only get the last four replies and none of the orginal message or pictures or the first ten replies.....

this is the problem I posted a rant about the board about a month or so ago.....

so frustrating.....